ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 16th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Anyone have the A* GP-R Jacket? And need some opinions (big gear purchase)...

First things first, anyone own an A* GP-R jacket? If so, please share your experience/opinions. I've searched but didn't have any luck. Thanks in advance...

Now, on to the longer story....

Trying to keep a long story short, I've got the funds and have decided I am going to go with one of the following two purchases:

Option 1: All money goes for the Dainese Alien jacket + CEII back protector (not sure which one, hoping that a SAS-TEC can fit but we'll see)

I absolutely love the Alien. Seriously. It is quite honestly like a holy grail for me and this will probably be the one time I'll have the money to buy something as extravagant as this. I love the technical features of it, the look of it, it is pretty much my idea of the perfect jacket. My one lingering doubt is "is it too much jacket for me?" It's leather and has CE armor in the elbows and shoulders just like any other jacket I'd look at. The 2 features (besides looking so damn good) that it has that others don't are the D-Skin leather and the Air Bubble liner. Both of which are really actually huge selling points for me as I like the added protection/abrasion resistance (i.e. - survivability of multiple wrecks, not that I'd like that to happen) b/c if I buy just this jacket I plan on having it for years - assuming nothing too terrible happens and that it holds up, but the quality is there so I'm sure it would hold up for quite some time. The Air Bubble liner, from all reviews I've seen, works really well so it would prolong the need for layers in cooler temps and still offer good cooling despite not having larger perforations in the leather. My concern w/most perforated leather jackets is that to get good airflow they punch a lot of holes which, logically speaking IMHO, would damage the durability and tear resistance of the leather which, again, leads me back to the D-Skin process used in the Alien jacket.

Remembering the whole "is it too much for me" thought, I'm a commuter - 90% of my riding is commuting, the other 10% is little jaunts here and there on the weekend and the occasional joy ride but nothing too spirited. After my low-side in May I'm far too timid to really push it until I'm able to do a track day. With this in mind, I do have other gear I'd like to get.

Option 2: Buy the following gear:

I am absolutely, 100% committed to either Option 1 or some variant of Option 2, doesn't have to be those exact items, but my requirements for Option 2 are to come out w/jacket, back protector, jeans, shorts, and shin guards. If I don't have any extra money for farkles, no big deal.

Before I get the "don't buy jeans" stuff, I already have riding pants and plan on getting new pants (Dainese Alien pants if I get the Alien jacket, probably the A* A-10 leather/textile pants if I get the GP-R jacket) in the winter. The reason for the jeans vs. pants is plain & simple - vanity. My desire to look a little less conspicuous when meeting up for dinner or heading to the store. And to be quite honest, I like the modularity of keeping components separate. The hard shorts + knee guards + jeans combo is arguably offering more protection than my textile riding pants which only have CE armor in the knees and some weak foam padding in the hips/thighs. The shorts offer coccyx protection and some CE-I armor as does the knee/shin guards. I like the A* jacket, I'd probably go with the white/black combo for better visibility. The upgraded CE-II protector is up in the air, if the SAS-TEC fits then great otherwise I may spring for the A* Bionic Race protector b/c it snaps into the GP-R jacket and has the added benefit of strapping around my waste. After all this, I just might still have a few bucks left to splurge on some farkles for my 250 like the seat cowl.

Both the Alien & the GP-R have optional chest protection that I would plan on getting down the road as well.

The thing that keeps rolling around my head is just seeing how much I could get if I just didn't get the Alien jacket so I keep asking myself "is it worth it to only get this jacket?" I feel confident that the A* jacket would give me adequate protection in a crash but I don't know if it would hold up better than the Dainese or not. All the extra gear I could get would cross a lot of "wants" off my list, things that will otherwise take awhile longer to accumulate if I opt for going with the Alien. And really, I just keep looking at the A* jacket and I like it, it looks good, but the only argument against getting it instead is just that it's just not the Alien. (weak argument, I know, but I'm just being honest)

Sorry for the loooooong post. I guess I'm kind of looking for rational thoughts on this as I'm most definitely thinking irrationally on this matter, plus, as awesome as this community is, I know some of you will come up with other suggestions that will entice me. Twenty-four hours ago I was dead set on the Alien, now just looking at what I'm passing up by getting *just* a jacket and my head is just spinning.

Last futzed with by reaubideux; August 17th, 2011 at 04:48 AM.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Sicafied
ninjette.org member

Name: Sica

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Personally, i'd go with option 1. But option 2 seems more practical..
Sicafied is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

I was going to get the GP-R but they were on backorder for like...2 months when I bought my bike. Personally, I'd go with option 2 where you get more gear for the money. Once you get to the higher end leather jackets, the abrasion resistances are going to be pretty comparable. Even if the A* doesn't use the D-skin, I think it's safe to say it's going to have the ability to survive through multiple crashes. Personally, I think the GP-R looks better as well, but that's a matter of opinion obviously.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #4
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Yeah, I gotta admit, the more I keep thinking about it, the more I'm leaning back towards option 2 more and more.

And of course... going back and looking at some of the gear I picked in option 2 and most of it is out of stock in the size I need. I swear most of this stuff was available when I was looking yesterday. Sheesh.

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Can I ask why your even considering motorcycle jeans?

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #6
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

You should include a third option, buying the Dainese jacket and Shift jeans while trying to find ways to reduce your costs in the armor, albeit armor that is still CE-rated.

Don't settle for anything. If the A* jacket isn't what you want exactly, will you end up buying the Dainese jacket a year from now? If you love the stuff you have, whether by the way it fits or how you look in it, you're going to wear it when you ride. Gear is no good if you don't wear it. And fashion counts for something--we should care how we look. I like the Dainese and Rev'it gear. Joe Rocket, Shift, even A*, meh--don't even get me started on the Icon gear! But to each his own, there's no accounting for taste, eh?

BTW I just bought a RS Taichi leather jacket off Craigslist last night. I was looking at the GMX Motion line, but I saved myself over $350 buying used (it's three years old). I like it, not as sportbikey as the newer stuff. Kinda reminds me of the old Chicago cop motorcycle jackets.
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #7
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Kevin, mentioned it in my original post....

Quote:
The reason for the jeans vs. pants is plain & simple - vanity. My desire to look a little less conspicuous when meeting up for dinner or heading to the store. And to be quite honest, I like the modularity of keeping components separate.
With only a couple of months left in the riding season, my JR textiles will foot the bill and then in the off-season I'll upgrade to some leather riding pants. Regardless of whether I ever own a pair of riding jeans, I'm still planning on getting some armored shorts. The knee/shin guards are required only b/c I'd be getting riding jeans and need the knee protection. The riding jeans aren't too much more than what I'd pay for a regular pair of jeans and offer a little piece of mind in abrasion resistance versus regular jeans. The added comfort of the jeans is something I neglected to mention in my OP but my riding pants aren't the most comfortable to sit around in (at a dinner table, movie theater, etc.) so that's one more reason I'm considering some riding jeans.

Old August 17th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #8
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
You should include a third option, buying the Dainese jacket and Shift jeans while trying to find ways to reduce your costs in the armor, albeit armor that is still CE-rated.

Don't settle for anything. If the A* jacket isn't what you want exactly, will you end up buying the Dainese jacket a year from now? If you love the stuff you have, whether by the way it fits or how you look in it, you're going to wear it when you ride. Gear is no good if you don't wear it. And fashion counts for something--we should care how we look. I like the Dainese and Rev'it gear. Joe Rocket, Shift, even A*, meh--don't even get me started on the Icon gear! But to each his own, there's no accounting for taste, eh?

BTW I just bought a RS Taichi leather jacket off Craigslist last night. I was looking at the GMX Motion line, but I saved myself over $350 buying used (it's three years old). I like it, not as sportbikey as the newer stuff. Kinda reminds me of the old Chicago cop motorcycle jackets.
Unfortunately, Dainese jacket and jeans isn't doable. I'll be able to swing just the Alien jacket and either the SAS-TEC back pad (if it would fit) or the Dainese N Frame (both are level II which is a requirement for me) and are the cheapest CE-II pads out there. The jeans will put me over my budget. I'll be purchasing the jacket from Revzilla and with their Revzilla cash it will help offset the cost of the back pad so that it'll only cost me another $20-$30.

Realistically, I wouldn't be able to buy Alien jacket a year from now unless I come into a good chunk of money. While I can't literally say "once in a lifetime," my ability to get the Alien jacket at this point is an extremely rare occasion for me. I can honestly say the A* is my #2 choice if I was simply shopping for a jacket based on features, function, and looks. I'd be settling for it as compared to the Dainese, but it's not like there's a range of jackets I'd rather get in between the Dainese & the A*.

I'm pretty dead set on either of these 2 jackets and haven't found them on CraigsList, I haven't looked for any of the other items I'm interested in mainly b/c they're cheaper things that I hadn't considered hunting around for to find them used.

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
they make moto pants that dont look crazy that are still textile and not denim

i have an a* gp-plus jacket. i think it's one step down from the new gp-r but i'm not exactly sure on the differences aside from the gp-r having full perf. i love my gp-plus jacket. there are a few things i don't like about it compared to other jackets however.
i don't like that it doesn't have fore-arm straps. this means unless you've got the forearms of popeye, they slide around a little bit, and when going down, that little bit of slide means the protection slides out of the way just enough to hurt. i also don't like that the zippers don't have those little grab cords on them... fishing the zippers out with gloves can be challenging at times, especially when its cold and the leather is stiffer. also the grab cord on the main zipper is a little bit too heavy for my liking... when blowing in the wind it's noticeable even when strapped down. thuk thuk thuk thuk. on long rides on a bike without proper fairings it can get annoying.

edit: after looking closely at the gp-r, it looks like they've fixed all my complaints about the zippers...

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #10
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Thanks for your info about the GP-Plus, I looked at it originally until I realized it wasn't perforated and that's when I moved on and looked at the GP-R.

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
Kevin, mentioned it in my original post....

With only a couple of months left in the riding season, my JR textiles will foot the bill and then in the off-season I'll upgrade to some leather riding pants. Regardless of whether I ever own a pair of riding jeans, I'm still planning on getting some armored shorts. The knee/shin guards are required only b/c I'd be getting riding jeans and need the knee protection. The riding jeans aren't too much more than what I'd pay for a regular pair of jeans and offer a little piece of mind in abrasion resistance versus regular jeans. The added comfort of the jeans is something I neglected to mention in my OP but my riding pants aren't the most comfortable to sit around in (at a dinner table, movie theater, etc.) so that's one more reason I'm considering some riding jeans.

oh, my bad

Idk, It still seams bad, when I fell I know only leather would have saved me (Which it did)

I just look at it as,I would either look like a tard with racing leathers on, then know I'm in danger. Anyway chicks love motorcycles

And on a side note... I still wear jeans from time to time

Old August 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #12
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
oh, my bad

Idk, It still seams bad, when I fell I know only leather would have saved me (Which it did)

I just look at it as,I would either look like a tard with racing leathers on, then know I'm in danger. Anyway chicks love motorcycles

And on a side note... I still wear jeans from time to time
I know one who doesn't... and I'm married to her. Go figure.

And...

So do I... for those quick jaunts to the store or to fill up the tank.

Old August 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #13
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Been looking forward to purchasing the GP-R in white for a summer jacket, suppose to come out this month. If it fits anything like the Vector, should be real nice! Had to do some mods to the vector, like remove the hump(hit helmet) and add some perf to the front.... Came out sweet, they should have made it this way

When your ready to purchase some gear(or any parts), give TJ a call at 866.931.6644 ext 817. He's with Riders discount and gives forum discount. You cant believe the prices
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alpinestars_gp_r_jacket_white_1.jpg (142.3 KB, 7 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #14
PHL
ninjette.org member

I can understand keeping to a budget--I did buy a used jacket. The A* GP-R jacket was on my very short list of leather jackets, as well (must have perf, I get hot easily). However, I did get fitted when I stopped by the Revzilla store, and I never could get comfortable in it. Tried the size up, but, as the salesperson demonstrated to me when I got on the sport bike in their showroom, it would bunch up when in a riding position. Dainese and Rev'it felt much better (especially the Rev'it). Don't know exactly why, guess I'm shaped kinda weird. The GP-R is mighty fine, regardless.

BTW the A* MX-1 jacket is on close-out at NewEnough. Tell your better half that you need only add the pants to use it for racing

Old August 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #15
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Thanks Kerry on the tip about your friend... I'm wanting the white/black A* GP-R too if I do go with that jacket, is the model you posted the version he can get? The only "white/black" version I've seen available is this:

I'd much rather have the model you posted as I don't care for the red in the shoulder sliders.

Napoleon, do you mind sharing your upper body build... height, size, etc? We're all different so what may have been uncomfortable for you may be fine for me but I'm curious how close we are in physical dimensions since the A* jacket didn't fit right. Thanks.

Old August 17th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #16
shiroganeshinobi
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

The old RS taichi GMX motion jackets are on closeout on STG.

If you want a really good 2 piece, this jacket would be the one to get. Expect these to go real quick.

EDIT:

These dont have the chest protection option like the new revision so you would need a separate piece.
shiroganeshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #17
PHL
ninjette.org member

I'm 5'8", anywhere between 155-162, depending on the meal I just had. I've been told I'm skinny, but I think the toothpicks attached to my upper torso give that impression. I think my body is wider than most, given normal dimensions. Average build, not in the least bit athletic, but I don't have a gut, but my shoulders seem broad. I was fitted for a size 48 for the A*, a 50 for the Dainese (I believe), and definitely a Medium in the unisex Rev'it gear, I think that translated to 48 with the Rev'it mens gear. Again the Rev'it gear seemed most comfortable, just like the textile and leather RS Taichi jackets I own now.

Old August 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #18
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Thanks Kerry on the tip about your friend... I'm wanting the white/black A* GP-R too if I do go with that jacket, is the model you posted the version he can get? The only "white/black" version I've seen available is this:

I'd much rather have the model you posted as I don't care for the red in the shoulder sliders.
He told me this month, I dont see it listed on Alpinestars site yet. I ordered some A* SP-8 gloves from him the other day and forgot to ask about it....
Was just gonna call him and noticed his out of office AUG15-22, he posted:
Quote:
simply ring Mike at 866.931.6644 x 804 for the same great RD treatment

Old August 17th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #19
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Thanks Napoleon, we're about the same height but I'm a bit heavier; my weight fluctuates pretty a bit depending on the time of year. I'll keep your measurements in mind when I measure myself for fitment. What I wouldn't give to have a real motorcycle shop in town. We've got a Cycle Gear but they're stocked full of BiLT & Sedici and maybe one or two models of higher end jackets.

Thanks Kerry... if that all white/some black version comes out this month it may help sway my decision that much more.

Mike, thanks for the tip about the RS Taichi jacket, just not my cup of tea for some reason though.

Old August 18th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #20
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

So I went ahead and pulled the trigger last night and ordered the Dainese Alien jacket. Admittedly, I'm cautiously optimistic that it's going to fit me right though. Went by the sizing chart and measured my chest. Was about 42", took a deep breath, as suggested, to allow room for back/chest protectors, and took me to right at 44" which put me in a size 56. Despite what the numbers say, I just don't think that's right, I feel like it's going to swim on me. Add in that I'm only 5'8" and don't have very muscular arms and I just have this nagging feeling I'll be returning it.

Regardless, it'll be nice to at least get to try out the Alien if even for only a short time to see how I like it.

Old August 18th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #21
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

it's a lil late now since you already made your purchase, but i have a GP-R jacket. i like it alot, definitely moves a lot of air. zippers aren't a problem for me. i ordered a 52/42, because a* tends to fit small. i am about 5'5", 160lbs, 30" waist and 38" chest. it's probably a little bit loose, but my A* track vest is coming in tomorrow, so with that i think it should fit more snug. with my arms extended the elbow pads seem to be out of place, but if i bend my elbows in the riding position they are where they should be.

my only gripe is that i shouldn't have bought white, dirt and bug splatter is too easily seen and i find myself cleaning it frequently. also i crash tested it in my low side a couple of weeks ago. the jacket only had like two fine surface cuts in the leather. so i think it held up well. my next jacket would be something like the mx-1. the speed hump looks badass . also for ridersdiscount.com they hook you up on gear, for prices below what they show on their website. just contact them directly.

gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #22
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Thanks Lor, for your input on the GP-R jacket; always nice to get first-hand commentary. I'm sure down the road someone else will be looking for a GP-R jacket and your post will help.

Honestly, if the Alien doesn't fit me and Revzilla doesn't have the size I need in the color I want, I may just exchange it for the GP-R and then my other gear that I had been eying up.

I still want the white despite knowing it's going to constantly need to be cleaned, I prefer the visibility that comes with it.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:57 PM   #23
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

I LOOOOOOVVVEEEE coming home to see packages on my front door step, I hate that I *barely* missed the UPS guy and that he had to leave a rather expensive package on my front door, but nevertheless, my Alien jacket arrived.

Pay no attention to the troll modeling the jacket, instead, just focus on the sheer sexiness of the jacket itself. (ignore my dirty-as-hell bathroom too, need to get the cleaning lady in here asap. )

Much to my dismay the thing actually fits great, I thought for sure it'd be too big. The chest is a bit loose but I plan on getting the thorax pad so that'll take care of that plus it'll be fine when I start adding layers for cool weather riding. I yanked the foam back pad out of my Joe Rocket jacket and it fits... barely... just ordered the Dainese back protector so w/any luck it'll be here by Friday. The only 2 things I noticed right away though are the sleeve openings are a bit big for me, I had a hard time putting on my gauntlet gloves over the sleeves. Other thing, and not a gripe, just an observation is that the neck of the jacket is much higher than my other jackets so that when my helmet is on the bottom of the back of it is constantly touching the jacket.

Once I get the back protector I'll take some better pics and post an actual review of the gear; need to review my older gear too.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:47 PM   #24
Sicafied
ninjette.org member

Name: Sica

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Great choice choosing the Dainese jacket just remember not to wear it in the rain
Sicafied is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #25
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Jason, make sure the chest protector tightens it up for you. I'm 5'8", 195 w/ a 43" chest. I either wear a 42 or a 44 depending on cut. In leathers, A* or Dainese, I've found that I've always fit into a 54. 56 is just too loose. If you got measured with a 42" chest, I would say you should consider returning it for a 54.

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #26
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

you look like a boss
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #27
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Jason, make sure the chest protector tightens it up for you. I'm 5'8", 195 w/ a 43" chest. I either wear a 42 or a 44 depending on cut. In leathers, A* or Dainese, I've found that I've always fit into a 54. 56 is just too loose. If you got measured with a 42" chest, I would say you should consider returning it for a 54.
yep... I think I should've gone w/the 54 but unfortunately I've worn it out a couple of times and sweat in it so I'm SOL for exchanging it now. The back protector definitely snugged up a bit. I'll just have to use this as motivation to lift some weights and build up my chest and biceps.

Old August 29th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #28
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer11 View Post
you look like a boss
boss.

Can't tell if I'm being insulted or complimented or neither.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:50 PM   #29
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_turbo View Post
my next jacket would be something like the mx-1. the speed hump looks badass .
The hump sucks on the A*. I had to do the De-hump, dam helmet hits it... cant even put your head up.

Quote:
Thanks Lor, for your input on the GP-R jacket; always nice to get first-hand commentary. I'm sure down the road someone else will be looking for a GP-R jacket and your post will help.

Honestly, if the Alien doesn't fit me and Revzilla doesn't have the size I need in the color I want, I may just exchange it for the GP-R and then my other gear that I had been eying up.
Looks like you found a nice jacket!

GP-R in white is availble overseas, not bringing it to the states... fookers. Had to get my helmet from the UK, now the jacket

Old October 4th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #30
HKr1
IC2(SW)

So the GP-R jacket came in the other day. Seems like a real nice jacket overall. Going to RA this weekend, probably wear it in the afternoon.

And whats with UPS..?? FOOKERS! I paid 79GBP(120USD) to have it shipped from the UK, UPS holds my package hostage wanting another 44USD at my door. Something called a "Customs Brokerage fee"?

I liked UPS, next time I need something shipped.. think it will be Fedex or USPS.
UPS can suck on my 44 dollars..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPR jacket (2).JPG (208.7 KB, 7 views)