ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:06 PM   #1
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Bad Pavement

So, with the improving weather here I'm finally beginning to put some miles on the Ninja.

Today I approaching an intersection that was crossing a four lane road with a middle turn lane. There was quite a bit of traffic with cars signalling to turn right, left, etc. I slowed up approaching the intersection, keeping my head on a swivel trying to keep good situational awareness.

In the middle of the intersection there was a spot where the black top had worn a grove in it approx the same width as my front tire. It displaced my front wheel an inch or two to one side. I was already above my saturation level trying to keep track of the other traffic. I just sort of said, "don't change anything right now". The bike brought me through just fine. Felt very strange to have the front wheel displaced like that, though.

My question for the more experienced riders: Were my instincts correct once I got into the groove? I didn't go down, but I am trying to improve.

Also, how do you look for road conditions when you are also looking out for other cars to move out in front of you? I felt like I needed 3 pairs of eyes to keep track of everything going on. I just missed seeing that grove until I was in it. I'm assuming that I'll get better with experience.

Thanks!
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Ahh, there are those same areas at a few stop lights around here. I pretty much know where they are. I will put my tires in the low area. If I were on the higher portion and stopped, then It would be awkward with that extra space below my feet trying to touch the ground.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #3
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

Name: CalvinAmI

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r [RED] & '06 Ninja 250 [WHITE]

You need to wheelie through situations like that.
You'll be noticed more my other motorists.
You'll have one wheel on the ground and one in the air on reserve when you REALLY need it.

Kidding... You'll want to do a stoppie for better cool points. People respect that and will give you the right of way.

Seriously, it sounds like you did fine. You'll learn those terrible areas along your normal route and be more prepared for the road conditions so you can focus mainly on traffic. Take your time in those situations. Dumping your bike in the middle of a 4way could completely jeopardize your life. Just know your options and alternative escape routes... The confidence will come and second nature will kick in.

Keep your head up!

Last futzed with by CalvinAmI; May 4th, 2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: because i posted this with my phone and it replaced words and made me sound like a buffoon!
CalvinAmI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #4
250rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinAmI View Post
You need to wheelie through situations lie that.
You'll be noticed more my other motorists.
You'll have one wheel on the ground and one in the air on reserve when you REALLY need it.

Kidding... You'll want to do a stoppie for better cool points. Purple respect that and will give you the right of way.

Seriously, it sounds like you did fine. You'll learn those terrible areas along your normal route and be more prepared for the road conditions so you can focus mainly on traffic. Take your time in those situations. Dumping your bike in the middle of a 4way could completely jeopardize your life. Just know your options and alternative escape routes... The confidence will come and second nature will kick in.

Keep your head up!
I think as I wheelie I will turn my original post into a rap song: "Were my instincts correct once I got into the groove? I didn't go down, but I am trying to improve. Yo! O! O! Yo!

Old May 4th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
It is just normal of riding through non-familiar areas.
We develop a mental map of these road traps when we use the same route frequently.

If traffic is demanding a good percentage of your attention, just do as you did, since traffic has a higher capability to kill you than road traps.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
more gas. weight the pegs
if you dont see the problem in time, who cares. if its something big in the road, wheelie. otherwise just lots of gas.

Old May 8th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

It gets better with practice. Use your perfieral vision for traffic, and keep road surface in focus. Switch to traffic if you notice anything suspicious, or at busy intersections.
Eventually U'll be able to read and predict traffic pretty well, while surface hazards are more of a mystery.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

look at your mirrors frequently. if you notice a cage is not in your mirror anymore and no one has passed you he is in your blind spot. my attention is mostly on my path and my mirrors. But i always turn my head when im changing lanes
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
look at your mirrors frequently. if you notice a cage is not in your mirror anymore and no one has passed you he is in your blind spot. my attention is mostly on my path and my mirrors. But i always turn my head when im changing lanes
or he made a turn somewhere and left lol!!
happened to me today i distanced this guy and kept watching my back, then all of a sudden he was gone. turned my head around and poof..empty road lol
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #10
250rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
more gas. weight the pegs
if you dont see the problem in time, who cares. if its something big in the road, wheelie. otherwise just lots of gas.
I'm a simple man. Hence, I like this approach.