ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old January 18th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #1
professor gascan
ninjette.org member

Name: adam

Motorcycle(s): '10 Red Ninja 250r

Anyone here into hi-fi/vinyl?

Someone in here must be old enough to remember these things. Just figured I'd ask since it's winter and I can't/won't ride in this weather. I was rearranging my room and decided to fire up the old turntable. Man, I've been spoiled by the modern convenience of the digital age. Having an entire music library in your pocket is nice, but records just sound SO MUCH BETTER!!!! It's really worth the minor interruption to get up every 20 min or so to flip sides or change records.

One of the best things about it is the hunt. Checking out flea markets, antique shops, record stores, relatives' and friends' dirty attics and basements striking out or striking gold. I've definitely found some rad stuff. And the best part is you can walk out with a stack of new music for what a new cd or itunes dl costs.

So kids, ask your parents or grandparents if they've got a turntable squirreled away that they let you ressurrect to it's former glory!!! Especially for some of you really young cats n' kittens out there who've never heard analog reproduction!!!

Old January 18th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Adam, I saw a bunch of bikes out last weekend. From Providence to Narragansett I must have seen 40 bikes. Sunday and Monday where the best days.

I must have about 5000 records and I have a few friends that have I the tens of thousands (the benefits of being disc jockeys).

Old January 18th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #3
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119690
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...5&postcount=35

I have a small but steadily growing collection. It's tough to get any killer deals around here. People camp goodwill, salv and estate sales just to flip any good vinyl at Amoeba and Rasputin. You can't get any old floyd or zeppelin for under $20. But if you really spend a few hours in the dollar bins at Amoeba, you can come away with some treasure.

Just picked these up last weekend.

Old January 18th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

I love vinyl, I don't have many because I became poor But one day I will start updating my collection again! Maybe when I actually have time to just sit down and listen to music? haha

Favorite record I own has to be Bob Dylans Highway 61 Revisited. It helps he's wearing a Triumph T-Shirt on the cover

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #5
ahenthus
ninjette.org member

Name: Claude

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1994 HD Sportster, 1975 Yamaha XS650B and many works in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
I love vinyl, I don't have many because I became poor But one day I will start updating my collection again! Maybe when I actually have time to just sit down and listen to music? haha

Favorite record I own has to be Bob Dylans Highway 61 Revisited. It helps he's wearing a Triumph T-Shirt on the cover
Joe, I agree Hwy 61 Revisited was his best. I think I bought my vinyl copy in 1965 and still have it. I have it on CD, IPOD and cassette also. I do enjoy listening to my vinyl occasionally but it isn't real convenient compared to the newer means of listening. I have maybe 2,000 albums on vinyl, but have most of what I listen to regularly on MP3 media. I think my favorite album is probably ELOs "A New World Record." I'm pretty eclectic and wide ranging in my musical tastes. I also have a few Triumph T-Shirts and three old 1967-1971 Bonnevilles that are stuck in limbo between being my daily riders and restoration.
ahenthus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #6
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahenthus View Post
Joe, I agree Hwy 61 Revisited was his best. I think I bought my vinyl copy in 1965 and still have it. I have it on CD, IPOD and cassette also. I do enjoy listening to my vinyl occasionally but it isn't real convenient compared to the newer means of listening. I have maybe 2,000 albums on vinyl, but have most of what I listen to regularly on MP3 media. I think my favorite album is probably ELOs "A New World Record." I'm pretty eclectic and wide ranging in my musical tastes. I also have a few Triumph T-Shirts and three old 1967-1971 Bonnevilles that are stuck in limbo between being my daily riders and restoration.
You sir, are awesome. If I had it my way, I'd have Bonneville (or a Norton Comando...) right now. But alas, they're not exactly reliable enough to have as a no fuss daily rider.

And I agree totally, Vinyls are awesome, but convient they are not. It's easy to store the 1600 albums I have on my computer, and on my ipod, and on my phone. But to store that many vinyls... ehh I don't think I'd even have the space! haha Vinyls are great, and they have a very special purpose. But it's not something I personally can use everyday, at least right now in my life! Besides, I can't take them in the car or on the bike...

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #7
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I was at the Alemany swap meet today and found a handful of some pretty obscure 70s punk and prog rock LPs, but the guy was charging Amoeba prices for them. Didn't even want to negotiate a little. $7 each or 3 for $20. Half of them still had $1 goodwill stickers on them. Would have liked to have them but I guess you can't win them all.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

You don't have to be old to be into vinyl at all. The art of "digging" is alive and well today.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:02 AM   #9
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

There are certain albums I always keep an eye out for, but alas, I am a financially deficient college student.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote