ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 28th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - Small-Displacement BMW Spied Testing

The first products of BMW‘s collaboration with India’s TVS Motors are well into development, with spy photographers capturing images of a new small-displacement motorcycle undergoing testing.

BMW previously announced it was working with TVS to develop sub-500cc motorcycles in 2013. Stephan Schaller, head of BMW’s motorcycle operations, has confirmed a target date of 2015 for the small-displacement models, and the test mule suggests the company is hard at work to reach that goal, with the official introduction likely coming at EICMA in November.

At the time of the original announcement, the two companies said they each produce their own models from a common platform. The prototype in the photographs shares some styling elements with the S1000R roadster, with similar looking fairings guarding a radiator. There’s also a clearly visible circular mounting point just in front of the rider’s kneecap that’s perfectly sized and shaped for BMW’s roundel logo.

The shape of the plastics resembles the S1000R and the small circle in front of the rider’s knee is just waiting for the BMW roundel.

The photos don’t provide a good look at the powerplant, but we expect it will be a liquid-cooled single.*We suspect the engine displacement will be in the 300cc range to compete against the likes of the Honda CBR300R and CB300F and Kawasaki Ninja 300, but the vague “sub-500cc” description leaves open the possibility of a larger engine to match up against the 390 Duke and RC390 from KTM and the Yamaha R3.

Strip away the testing equipment and you can make out some of the test bike’s features including a single headlight, upside-down fork, five-spoke alloy wheels and a single front brake disc. Expect the production version to add a chin fairing.

The naked roadster prototype may not be the only version in the works, with sportbike and dual-sport variants to follow. Schaller previously indicated that multiple vehicles may come from the partnership with TVS.

“Various types of motorcycle are conceivable,” Schaller said in 2013. “They will meet the expectations of a BMW motorcycle in terms of riding fun as well as setting a new benchmark when it comes to stability, agility and performance figures.”

Look forward to reading more details about BMW’s new family of small-displacement motorcycles in the months ahead leading up to the official announcement expected for the fall motorcycle show season.

Small-Displacement BMW Spied Testing appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...

Old January 28th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Crikey, that thing's small. Somewhere between a Grom and a real motorcycle. Unless the rider's a freakin' giant.

All I want for Christmas is a middleweight version of the S1000RR.....

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's a German test rider. They start at bulky, and go up from there.

BMW has said a number of times that there is no 600cc planned or in development. The ROI just isn't there (98% of the engineering and production cost of the literbike, a fraction of the profits at current market #'s). Perhaps they are just not talking about it, but it seems like they'd be better served to talk about it if it does exist.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Meh, I'll keep saving for my R1200R.

Old January 29th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #5
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
BMW has said a number of times that there is no 600cc planned or in development. The ROI just isn't there (98% of the engineering and production cost of the literbike, a fraction of the profits at current market #'s). Perhaps they are just not talking about it, but it seems like they'd be better served to talk about it if it does exist.
Well, that could be right if they were alone in this project, but since it seems they are working with an Indian partner, the return on investment might be a little better sharing the development.

That would be nice to have a small displacement adventure bike to compete with the new Cyclone RX-3...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2015, 05:54 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It's a German test rider. They start at bulky, and go up from there.

Well, I mentioned "middleweight," which doesn't necessarily mean a 600. IIRC they made that statement when the supersport field below 1000 cc consisted of 600s from the Big Four, the Triumph Daytona, the GSX-R 750, and that's it.

Since then the segment has grown markedly. All the existing bikes are still there, with the ZX-6 getting a bump to 636 cc. Plus two MV Agustas -- 675 and 800 -- and a new 800 Ducati.

And the GSX-R 750 kept winning nods as the "best sportbike" for what that's worth.

So there is a market for bikes that size, albeit limited. Never say never... BMW will go where there are buyers. This new weenie bike proves it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #7
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

The 390 duke is made in india, i think by Hero. Harley is also offering two new cruiser-ey things at 500 and 750cc, 90* v-twins made by a 'partner' in india.

I think they are all right on the money if they can keep QC up to par, get people brand loyal at lower introductory price point.

Basically the same thing the Japanese manufacturers do with Taiwan/Korea made bikes in the smaller displacement ranges.

Problem is, if they are just selling re-badged 3rd world garbage, who is going to pony up the 30K(++) for a R or K series after they have continuous issues with a down market india POS with a BMW sticker on it. At least with the F-series they struck a good price point while keeping quality high and a solid, if unimpressive, rotax twin.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #8
FreelancerMG
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2001 V-Star 1100 Classic

As long as this doesn't follow in the similar vein of the rest of BMWs lineup of being several tiers in cost above what the bike belongs to.
FreelancerMG is offline   Reply With Quote