ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old August 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #1
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Talking My first trip on my new 2 me 02

Well I have got the new kenda 671s on, full tune up, carbs rebuilt and synched, new 15 tooth front sprocket and was even able to find and install the ninja 500 rear shock. Ordered a weatherproof mount for my GPS and got that on tonight as well.

I am heading from Athens Ga down close to Brunswick. A small 4 hour trip. I have a good friend starting his own BBQ business and its his opening weekend. Thought I would surprise/support him and help him out on his first big nite! Closest thing I got left to family. We grew up together. I love him like a brother....

So heading out first thing in the morning. Got the GPS ready, tank bag with map in it, clothes packed and on bike, fueled up and ready to go. Looking forward to the road and checking my MPGs. I really hope I am lucky and got one of the high mileage bikes. 75 mpg would really make my day.

Rolled my foot about a month ago and torqued my back. Have been having severe lower back pain and several chirpractor trips...hoping I am well enough to where it wont ruin my trip.

Anyway, I know I am new to forum *not new to motorcycles though* but I have been reading lots and lots of the older posts getting to know my little ninja better and better. I have over 200k on all kinds of bikes. 3 goldwings, vstroms, klrs, versys, concours, and more.

Look forward to yacking about my little trip when I get back. I have really enjoyed this forum and look forward to adding what little bit I learn about this machine to our collective knowledge.

O yeah, everybody keep the shiny side up!

Old August 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #2
kkim

have a fun, safe trip, Kevin.

looking forward to your report.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #3
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

cool and be safe
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #4
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Thumbs up

Made it back safe, ended up going almost to Jacksonville Fla, then back up by Jekyll Island then home. Logged on almost 700 miles in 2 days. Did a good bit of exploring and such. Have some pics and should post tomorrow.

A little dissapointed in my mileage first tank 56mpg, second with hi-test 54. Did interstate for several hours and got 44 *pretty much 80-85 mph*, and then last tank was 48mpg. I was hoping I got one of the high mileage bikes...

Bike ran GREAT though. Speedo cable come off-easy fix, right foot was hit from some kind of flying road debris *glad I had on my Sidis*-yay gear! foot good n sore, chain lost adjustment and rain fly blew off and lost off of my Cortech tail bag. Other than that good trip. Will post some pics and more later after a good nights sleep.

Old August 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Glad to hear everything went well.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Glad you're home safe and sound, and the bike did fine!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #7
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Swap the rear gear to a 43T to help a Bit more on the highway mpg....50 mpg isnt to hard to get if you arent a heavyweight. Mileage will improve if you keep it closer to the posted speed limit. lol
Glad you had a safe trip.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #8
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Well I got everything packed for my small trip Thursday night. I have only had this little ninja for about a week now. 5 days of that 7 its been in the shop waiting on tires/sprockets and carb clean.

This is not my first ninja 250. I had bought an 07 for my kid to go to college on. He had no interest in it at all, so I ended up riding it for several hundred miles before I traded it in towards my 09 Versys. I remember how well that little 07 protected me from the wind, how comfortable the sitting position was....for over a year I regretted getting rid of that bike. Fast forward I have been hawking craigslist now for over a month. Came close to several times on some bikes...but I wanted the bike at my price. I knew if I waited long enough I would get the right bike. I ended up buying this little 02 with 2455 miles for only $1000.00! I got such a great deal on it that even though it had good tires with no dry rot I thought I'd treat myself to some new Kenda 671s.

This pic is on a bridge somewhere down in South Georgia near Baxley about 4 hours into my trip the speedo cable came loose from behind the speedometer. I pulled over on the bridge because it had a good wide spot to get over on. There was almost no traffic at all. Maybe 1 car every ten minutes I would meet.

During this time I got all gear off- it was slightly warm! and started to re-attach speedo cable. I was swarmed by mosquitos almost immediately. It was miserable instantly. I ended up having to put on full gear to fix bike.

Old August 29th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #9
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Like I said in earlier post I was headed down to South Ga. to surprise my life long friend DP. He recently quit his county job and decided to start a BBQ business. I thought I'd drop in on opening night and be free labor. I really want to see him succeed. Its been 6 to 8 months since I had seen him last. So with the new bike and his opening night....it looked like a good excuse to hit the road.

I show up in Nantahala only to find out that his opening night had to be postponed...o well I guess its the thought that counts. By this time its late in the afternoon after I visited with him for several hours. I decide that I am not thru riding and might as well keep heading south if I am not going to be serving BBQ. I end up just short of Jacksonville before I change my mind. The rain clouds look really bad further south. I have been riding in dozens of cloudbursts the entire trip. 1 to 2 minutes of rain to cool me off then back to cloudy. It was actually refreshing. But the clouds in Jacksonville look somewhat meaner. I get back on phone and ask him if I can stay at his place for the night- he had already offered but I thought it only polite. Sure! he says so back up the road north I go. I get caught in a heavy cloudburst and decide to pull over and put rain-flys over my cortech bags. I have done this many times- I have had these bags on several bikes. Once I reached back to Nantahala I was dissapointed to see my rear tail bag fly had been blown off. Great I think..where am I gonna find one of those again? Hey no big deal though really in the whole scheme of things. I have traveled almost 6 hours and no probs other than speedo and this...pretty good for not traveling this distance in a while.
I bed down for the night in the spare bedroom and sleep like a baby. My lower back is good and stiff from an old injury but hes got ice packs and ibuprofin...ahhh relief.
Next morning I head off only to get down the road about 10 miles and remember I didn't pack my cell phone charger and have to turn around and go back...duh I feel smart this morning.
I am only about an hour away from the coast. Its been about a year since I have seen the ocean and I am not in any particular hurry.
This pic is of the bridge that connects Brunswick GA to Jeckyll Island. This pic is on Jeckyll side. It is really an impressive bridge.

Last futzed with by highpsiguy; August 29th, 2010 at 01:39 PM.
highpsiguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #10
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

I make it onto Jeckyll and snap this pic beside the convention center. I have really enjoyed the ride.
I have owned 17-18 streetbikes. From 3 Goldwings, to Concours, KLRs, Vstrom, Versys and many more. I have way over 200k miles on the street. I am simply amazed at how "tourable" this bike is. Yes, it has its quirks...but so do all bikes. No bike does everything great. That being said this is one of the most fun bikes I have ridden.
When I was a kid my brother took the time to teach me how to ride motorcycles. He was 17 years older than me. He had grown up racing enduros. Some of my happiest times growing up was spending time with him riding. He died about 8 years ago with MS. I watched him rot for 8 years as he slowly lost control of his body and strength. When I ride it brings me closer to him and my old memories. I find it relaxing and refreshing. Even though it usually wears out my body,it recharges my spirit and my mind.
I have been grinning ear to ear as I wrung out this little bikes neck heading down to Jeckyll....what fun....what a riot. I miss my brother. Hes probably laughing and smiling with me I think to myself.

Old August 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #11
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

For those of you who have not got to see this island I say it would make a good riding destination. The island is not that big...a couple of hotels, maybe 100 houses?, convention center, rv park and a few shops. I really wished I had taken lots more pics. I am so busy looking at everything I forget.

This road is across road from the only RV park. There are huge old twisted oak trees on this side of the island. The RV park is nestled inside one of these large groves. I stopped in the road and snapped this one on my way to the pier.

Old August 29th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #12
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Well here is the gorilla riding the football. Maybe, it wont break your computer screen when you enlarge pic ha. The fishing pier was busiest I had ever seen it.
My bike reeked of horse manure as I had to ride thru some of it on my way in. Lots of people ride their horses on the island. I can see the attraction of it even though I secretly have always had a fear of horses since my dads pony bit and ripped me a new one when I was just a little boy.
I hated to ask a lady to snap my pic. I feel like a huge dork when I do that...but how else will I get a pic? No one ever seems to mind. I just always pick out somebody that I am sure that I can outrun if it comes to it. ha I told the lady that that took my pic, she found it amusing and told me she didnt mind at all.
I wished I had brought my fishing pole. I have never fished salt water. I love to fish as much as I love to ride motorcycles. I need to rig up a way to take some tackle. I wanted to walk out on the pier but I had my firearms and some other valuables in my bags and did not feel comfortable leaving them on the bike without me closeby. As much as I like my Cortechs I have got to find a way to have hard luggage like my other bikes did. I miss having that security they offer on a bike. From everthing I have seen on this site and others so far is getting a second seat and mounting a hard luggage box directly onto passenger sitting area on seat. Looks like its the sturdiest and cheapest route.

Old August 29th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #13
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Here I am stopped on the way home. Having GPS on the bike is very handy. I have never took this route before and am blindly following technology thru the farmlands of central Ga.

By this point my knees are getting hot from stress and I got a bad case of "monkey butt burn". I have been fairly comfortable to this point...but it is a new seat and a new bike to me. I have been riding for about 5 hours this day and have several more to go. I pulled in to this place to stretch my back, my legs and air out my "dogs". Nothing more refreshing than 10 to 15 minutes off bike every now and then.

The entire trip I have been contemplating many things. Business, personal life, universe- you know those kind of things. One thought that I kept coming back to over and over was what to name my bike. I have named all of my bikes. Usually, it comes to me pretty quick. The bike speaks to me right away in most cases. Not so with this bike. "Daisy" was my favorite for over 500 miles but finally settled on something even more simple. "B" just "B". I couldn't use "yellow jacket" as I am a Ga Bulldog fan and that is our arch enemy's mascot of Georgia Tech. Didn't want to use "Bumblebee" as that just sounded too masculine for my taste. A bike is a female and should be named as such...its just the way the world spins.Since the bike is yellow I felt I had to go along these lines for names. Anyway "B" is my new 250s name! I hope you have enjoyed my little report here. I have read hundreds of them on other forums. Even though this is not my first ride, it is my first ride report. I hope you enjoyed my ramblings and absolute shortness of pictures. I apoligize for my mispellings and my quirky thoughts. Enjoy- Kevin

Old August 29th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #14
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

thanks for sharing....looks like an awesome trip!..oh, and i really like your sig
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote