ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #1
joes280
ninjette.org member

Name: joe

Motorcycle(s): 250

Seriously tho, how many would support a business catering to Ninja 250's

I've been having the idea in my head of opening a web based store catering to Ninja 250's. I know it's nothing new under the sun, but with as many new 250's being sold I just wanna know if the community is really out there enough to support the business.

The store would mostly sell farkles and light mods. Mostly some cool stuff from overseas like huggers, wheels, knick nacks, and etc. I would also facilitate group buys for the more niche items. And occasionally offer unique products like swingarm conversion kits for 5.5 wheels or USD conversion kits for the more serious 250 owners.

Just a little background on me, I have owned 2 tuner shops previously one in the mid 90's catering to rice burners and another about 7yrs ago catering to European cars doing from mild to wild. I ended up selling my interest in the last store front.

I know people are spending money here but like all forums the more hardcore modders are rarely on here, including myself. I also know that where I'm at almost every sportbike rider has a heavily modified bike. But I know that may not be the case everywhere.

I love my 250 and I feel like most owners are like me and are passionate about their bikes because it does so many things so right. I also have a Ducati that I don't love nearly as much.

I'm open to discussion, criticism, suggestions etc. I'd like to know if its a good idea or if my heads are in the clouds and also what things would you like to see being sold. I thought I'd start here first because this seems like one of the most active sites.

Last futzed with by joes280; July 25th, 2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: sp
joes280 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I think it is a great idea and can do quite well. I know most members here own newgens but I feel there is also a market out there for the pregens. The one thing I have heard/read pregen owners say they are looking for is a hugger for those that have shaved their tails.
Good luck with the venture.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

I would be down to support a business like that. It gets kind of tiring going to different sites for different things and what not.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #4
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Sounds like a killer idea to me as well. If you could stock all of the popular items everyone kicks around this forum- and be overly familiar with their installation and such- you could make buckets of $$$. Heck, why not make it a "1/4 Liter Sport Bike Bonanza" and include the CBR 250R and any other 250's to follow...
2011Ninja250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #5
joes280
ninjette.org member

okay

lets say I go through with it. What do you personally want to purchase? I'd like to know what people are really buying or plan to buy, not just wish lists. Seems like most mods need to be in the under $150 range.

Just for example my ninjette has plm exhaust, smoked headlights,led mirrors, hotbodies smoke undertail, 2wheels levers, sportisi hugger, 150 rear, and I have a complete 636 front end and modded rear swing arm for 5.5 wheel that I'm working the kinks out to install. Besides the swingarm and 636 front end all my mods have been right at about $150max for the most expensive.

I want to get a good product listing and stuff that will sell. I know alot of people say they want a bigger rear wheel, but I don't know how many would actually buy it if it was readily available.

Just trying to get a "feel" of the market before I get a loan on an ill conceived idea

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #6
joes280
ninjette.org member

also the cbr 250 inclusion is a very good idea

it could be a 250 hub..

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #7
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

And we could start holding our own rally every year, just like Sturgis...

can you imagine the buzzing and growling of 100's of 250's???
2011Ninja250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #8
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

I'd like to see some fork caps. The only place I've found that has them is shinto, and that obviously isn't going to happen.
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #9
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
I would be down to support a business like that. It gets kind of tiring going to different sites for different things and what not.
you arent kidding... i spent half of today looking for the a-tech carbon fiber tank pad/extender thing.
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #10
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Don't forget the pre-gens either, they were in production for ~20 years and there are still a lot of us driving them around!
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #11
joes280
ninjette.org member

I know alot of indonesian products are on everyone's wish list. If I decide to go ahead with this business, I planning on going there to check out the products first hand, arrange shipping channels etc.

I know it seems far fetched but I've done this before to Japan and the Bahamas. International business just works out alot better face to face or when you can lay hands on someone in person and pop up to handle any problems. I'm just gonna factor that in the cost of doing business.

Old July 25th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #12
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I say but as you know, most of the ninja 250 owners are what youmacallem "frugal" and where you at in VA?
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #13
joes280
ninjette.org member

btw

I would give the pre-gens plenty of love, I just need to know that ya'll are out there.
I would love to do a sorta of plug and play bodykit update for them. I actually have a company locally that has made a small run of custom kits for me before. They make helicopter fuselages and boat hulls, but do small mold runs for the right price, it's been awhile though since I've had any work done.

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #14
joes280
ninjette.org member

i'm in richmond

and yes the "frugal" aspect is what has me a little gun shy. I have been pretty frugal with my 250 up until this point to be honest, but certain things I would buy if the price was right. One of those being a set of rims. I wouldn't pay $1800 for a set but I would pay like $500. Its funny because I bought a set of 3pc wheels for my car in the past and each rim is like $2000, but I just have different expectations for the ninjette. Plus I'm older and it's a hobby now and just seems frivolous to spend to much.

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Advertise Advertise Advertise! It's the key to profits for any business.

My parents work for AT&T advertising solutions and I'm sure I could get them to hook you up with a sweet deal. If you do decide to go through with your business venture pm me and we can get your name out there. Also, come up with a way to set yourself apart from other websites/businesses. Why would I want to come to YOU? Is it your prices? Is it your customer service? Is it perhaps detailed instructions that come with every purchase on how to install the new mod? If I have a problem installing my mod can I LIVE chat, or some other solution, with you in order to resolve it?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #16
Johnnyscoots
Over 40 Ninjette Owner

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki VN900C (Black), 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Red/Two Bros. Slip on, 41 Tooth Rear Sprocket)

Ninjette specific webstore? I say +1111111111111111111111111. It would be great if you could, that way the ninjette.org forum peoples would know that, as an owner yourself, you'd test every farkle, bell, whistle, and FI kit that came down the pipe. Make shopping (and shipping LOLZIES) easier on the North American (showin' the Canadians some love, eh) ninjetteers.

ST windscreen, wheels, tires, and farkles oh my!!!

Johnny

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #17
joes280
ninjette.org member

@Jiggles

those are some really good suggestions. So far so good on the feedback, alot of ammo to convince the ol'lady to go through with it. Although I would like to know what items people plan on purchasing soon. And what people are looking for.

I might start out small like becoming a forum sponsor first. See where it goes.

Old July 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #18
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Unfortunately I think many will be slow at first as we have seen ventures like this not work out before... I won't bring up the nightmare that many members still get pissed off about... it will depend on how dependable you can be. how quickly you can provide products and how good the prices are. There is plenty of demand... it's the supply (especially of hard to come by products) that is just not there.

I personally would like some affordable carbon fiber products... the rarer the better
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you get me that $3 yamaha hugger for $40 or less and i'll buy it.

Old July 25th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #20
Sicafied
ninjette.org member

Name: Sica

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
Unfortunately I think many will be slow at first as we have seen ventures like this not work out before... I won't bring up the nightmare that many members still get pissed off about... it will depend on how dependable you can be. how quickly you can provide products and how good the prices are. There is plenty of demand... it's the supply (especially of hard to come by products) that is just not there.

I personally would like some affordable carbon fiber products... the rarer the better
+1 on the carbon fiber products
Sicafied is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #21
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I'd be down to support it as long as prices are reasonably competative.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i wonder how much an entire set of CF bodywork would cost

Old July 25th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #23
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

more than the you paid for the bike.

realistically though I'd guess around $1500-$2000
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickadolph View Post
more than the you paid for the bike.

realistically though I'd guess around $1500-$2000
crap... i wish i only paid that much for this bike...

Old July 25th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #25
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

If you could source the parts everyone drools over and act as a one stop shop for all the typical items that people always buy then I think it would great. Biggest obstacle is supply and advertising. Obviously you can start with all of the various forums. An e-bay store that you can evolve out of isn't a bad idea either.

Just serving the 250 community might not cut it though. You might have to dip into other areas as mentioned, like CBR 250, hyonsung 250, etc. The big stores will probably beat you on the typical 600 and 1000 bike business.

If you can bring the Asian market products over here are a reasonable cost and produce them in short time you will probably explode.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #26
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

idk if its been said but ztrack159 beat you to it

but if you were to start your own business, im confident you would succeed seeing how many ppl love the new gen 250r and how even experienced riders go down from their liter bikes

best of luck
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #27
joes280
ninjette.org member

thanks for the input

no offense to ztrack but although he caters to the 250 crowd his set up seems more performance oriented, opposed to my primary focus is farkles. He also just seems really busy and the sportisi seems like a side hobby among other things he does. His website doesn't have a number and you have to catch him in threads to get quotes and etc, as I will have a call center taking phone orders. Again please don't take it the wrong way, I'm not talking crap, cause some swear by him, just being honest. I do think he is an honest guy just a lil busy.

I on the other hand am thinking of doing a complete web based automated store with a small warehouse stocking parts and drop shipping of others. Shouldn't be any problem getting exotic stuff because I will personally be picking it up and shipping it with me back. No containers to deal with going sea freight. Most items I have will be in stock, and I plan to start producing my own line of huggers, and other products as I have connects with cnc shops and fiberglass molders.

This may seem extreme but I've done this before for like 10yrs with a business partner and decided to "retire" for various reasons and go back into the work force. We didn't have a web site but had a local dealer network selling wheels, spoilers, etc and warehoused the products and shipped around the planet. So I have first hand knowledge of customs processes and how to streamline things because I do it now on a smaller scale.

I'm thinking of going to Indonesia as kinda a test run plus I wanna see that part of the world. I might start a group buy for small parts to bring back and let this tell me how feasible the idea is. I don't know.

Old July 26th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #28
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Time is killing me in buying stuff... I am too busy to have time to sort through the sites that do/do not have stuff for my bike. I usually take recommended links for certain products and buy it straight from there w/o any searching and know I got right part.

Really a 1 stop site to get all my parts for the 250 would be awesome, and I would probably use that alone just for the ease!!!
However, I do not see you making it by trying to 'store' things that others might buy, the initial cost to stock up would be insane.
If it where me, I would look into becoming a re-seller for the sites that do have the parts for our bikes, then make my page a 1 stop site for all things 250. Make money that way and via selling banner space to other sites.

As for the stuff I would by.... From exhaust, Jetkits, tires, clip-ons, oil filters, oil, Kawi valve job tools etc etc etc not just farkels.... the thing that will set your site apart, IMO, would be direct reviews/specs/comparisons of parts on our bikes.

Sure most of this is online now, and people can find it if they look.. but that's the point some people do not want to look, they would pay more just to not be bothered with signing up for 20 different sites, remembering usernames/passwords/emails addy assoc to them etc etc etc...

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #29
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

If you've run speed shops, you should know how it works. Your vendor prices and sales volume are inversely proportional. If you're only doing ninja 250 parts and nothing else, your volume is gonna be too low and your prices will be high. Either people will buy elsewhere or you'll have to lower prices to the point of no profit, and business fails.

The truth is, catering to a wider audience and being able to handle the volume and product diversity are what's needed to be successful. It's hard work.

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #30
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

If you arent willing to fly overseas and set up business relationships with vendors....dont be surprised when you get screwed by them. Youll need a minimum investment of $250,000 to really kick it off properly. The website is the easy part...keeping products coming in, and parts shipping out is what causes 90% of these companies to fail in the first year.

To be honest, im tired of these fly-by-night startups with drop shipping from china that have proven to be unreliable, and usually rip offs.

If your gonna do it, stock up, then sell, and dont sell what you dont have.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #31
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Joe, I think you're on track with what you plan on doing. If I had money to invest in stocking a lot of products, I would do what you're planning. Sprockets, high quality Chains, huggers, etc. Good luck!

Old July 26th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #32
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

As CynicalC said... there are also some 600 out on the forum, and by expanding the community of not only 250, but also 600 and 1000 maybe? But what is needed is a well organized site.
You choose either by cc class or have a motorcycle specific selection with year make model and then you get directed to the section with every part for that bike. But not all parts thrown together like eBay, but organized, listed and searchable.

Pictures of specific items, with links to install help/instructions.
Good shipping deals/deals for ninjette 250 members? Helps out with the site promotion too if Alex is looking for that.
Any incentives that sound appealing should get a chance or a discussion on them.

Old August 8th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #33
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

this what us americans need :P

http://cyber-ninja250r.darkbb.com/t8...rd-are-welcome

Old August 8th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #34
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r