ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 13th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #1
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninjette ex 250

First time riding in the rain.....

I leave for work this morning, and though it was overcast, it is California where rain is very seldom seen. I am driving and here it starts. So I adjust my speed and am just cruising along and out of nowhere 2 other guys on motorcycles "surround" me if you will.

How freaking cool is that. It almost felt as if if 3 bikes = the size of one car.

At the light, they just nodded & off we went. It was very reassuring. I don't know who they were, but I must thank them anyway..

Old September 13th, 2016, 07:24 PM   #2
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklenation View Post
I leave for work this morning, and though it was overcast, it is California where rain is very seldom seen. I am driving and here it starts. So I adjust my speed and am just cruising along and out of nowhere 2 other guys on motorcycles "surround" me if you will.

How freaking cool is that. It almost felt as if if 3 bikes = the size of one car.

At the light, they just nodded & off we went. It was very reassuring. I don't know who they were, but I must thank them anyway..
Cool!

Old September 13th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #3
Hoons54
ninjette.org member

Name: Jung

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Heard it rained/snowed up in the mountains in NorCal. Didn't get any rain in the valley tho.
Hoons54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yeah, it sprinkled a bit here and there this morning. Cool little interaction you had there.

I kind of like the little wave or nod when you see another rider, those are fun. It's a hey, I see you, it's cool. I had a guy try to talk to me at a stoplight once, though, and since I wear a full-face helmet, talking back is more than a little challenging.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #5
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Public Service Announcement:

The first wetting of the pavement after a few weeks of dry weather can be extremely hazardous! The rain and scrubbing from traffic forms an oily film that is slick as cat s#|+ on linoleum!!! If at all possible; wait an hour for the greasy soup to rinse away! If you must ride in it (and if you're a new rider; don't!): treat the traction available as if you are on ice.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 14th, 2016, 03:46 AM   #6
Lap202
The Mechanical Noob

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post

The first wetting of the pavement after a few weeks of dry weather can be extremely hazardous! The rain and scrubbing from traffic forms an oily film that is slick as cat s#|+ on linoleum!!! If at all possible; wait an hour for the greasy soup to rinse away! If you must ride in it (and if you're a new rider; don't!): treat the traction available as if you are on ice.
But my favorite drifting memories are in these conditions! "100%" intentional.

Nothing feels worse than that front wheel losing traction and just praying to god it doesn't catch hard and high side you.
Lap202 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 06:35 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Good post, SLOWn60. I experienced it once about 40 years ago, when it was just as you said, like ice. One downhill driveway out of a shopping center was so bad I had to put both feet down as I repeatedly skidded my front and rear tires, trying to avoid rolling out into heavy traffic. I skidded several other times that day, but managed to stay upright.

Watch out in and around gas stations, too. Spilled gasoline is even worse, and I've been in them after the tank truck spilled gallons.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Good tires pay off quickly when riding in the rain, as does smooth riding and increased following distances.

Conditions are more unpredictable, and you can't see oil or small debris on the road.

My son and I rode home from a local Bike Night the other day at dusk in an absolute downpour. He said there was a 5 ft spray shooting off of both sides of the front tire the entire time.

Slow down, plan way ahead, be smooth, and stay relaxed - but alert.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 08:00 AM   #9
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty much the same except for the first few minutes of rain.

Unless you're in the section of road we were on last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160904_114818.jpg (153.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160904_115735.jpg (215.3 KB, 4 views)

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 08:28 AM   #10
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
My post was intended for newer riders and those in dry areas that seldom see the liquid sunshine.

By her own description: Sparklenation is a n00b that has yet to take a safety course. She found herself on her first rain ride surrounded by the cool kids. This is a recipe for disaster if the grease is on the road and she tries to keep up!

AFTER the pavement has been thoroughly scrubbed and rinsed (takes about an hour depending on traffic) wet pavement has lots of traction if you are smooth with your inputs.

All I want is to CAUTION inexperienced riders about a hidden danger they may not be aware of: that first hour or so after the first rain in a few weeks. Ride in the rain. Learn to be smooth. But if you are new to rising in the rain: don't ride in the first hour if it has been dry a few weeks.

I live in one of the wettest cities in North America. Virtually every race I stood on the podium was in the rain. I've been riding over 40 years. I avoid that first hour like a plague! It can bite you like ice!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old September 14th, 2016, 10:07 AM   #11
CaliGrrl

Quote:
All I want is to CAUTION inexperienced riders about a hidden danger they may not be aware of: that first hour or so after the first rain in a few weeks. Ride in the rain. Learn to be smooth. But if you are new to rising in the rain: don't ride in the first hour if it has been dry a few weeks.

I live in one of the wettest cities in North America. Virtually every race I stood on the podium was in the rain. I've been riding over 40 years. I avoid that first hour like a plague! It can bite you like ice!
Same as driving in the rain, with a little more intensity and more punishment if you mess up. I've definitely learned to be careful during the early parts of the rain.... will be equally careful if I get stuck riding in the rain. (still a n00b)

Old September 14th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #12
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:

You do realize you are telling a California driver to act like they are on ice.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old September 14th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #13
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
It rained the day I picked up my bike as I was at the gym... That was a hair raising ride back to the house!

Old September 14th, 2016, 06:21 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
........ and out of nowhere 2 other guys on motorcycles "surround" me if you will.

How freaking cool is that. It almost felt as if if 3 bikes = the size of one car..........
Welcome, Carol !!!

Try learning to ride in any weather condition.
Second above advice about waiting for the slippery staff to be washed away by heavy rain.

Avoid group riding as much as you can while you become familiar with your bike and riding it in traffic.
It may be cool, but it is also potentially dangerous for a new rider.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #15
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:

I don't know if that was such a good thing.

Riding closely in bad conditions isn't a good idea, and you have no idea of the skill level of the other riders.

I doubt it would happen again, but I'd never ride close to anyone I didn't know - even in good conditions.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 14th, 2016, 09:26 PM   #16
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
You do realize you are telling a California driver to act like they are on ice.
::giggle:: Ice, that's the stuff in my margarita, right?

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #17
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

@sparklenation, I'm glad everything worked out well and that you made the right adjustments to avoid problems. Great advice as usual from our group.

Short rides in the rain can be fun, particularly if you are prepared and have rain gear. Getting stuck in a strong downpour without raingear and the option to wait it out can be somewhat miserable. The worst for me was a group ride I went on from the SF Bay Area to Death Valley. I left without raingear and got caught in steady cold rain for the rest of the first day's ride to Bakersfield. At the end of the day I was so cold and shivering that it took me several hours before I recovered. The next morning I stopped at a moto shop and bought a rain jacket and some better gloves to continue the ride to Death Valley. Much better and of course I encountered no more rain on the trip.
The most welcome rain I encountered was when I riding cross country to a competition in Ohio. My buddy and I were riding through the Nevada desert in the summer and it was !114*. My moto was overheating and so were we. Suddenly we got hit by some rain and it felt wonderful for the next 40 minutes or so before we finished riding through it. A nice change after a long hot day of riding.

Old September 15th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #18
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Pilot Road 4's are absolutely exquisite in the rain. Before those, Pilot Road 3's were king. Not only that, they wear like iron. Not good for any kind of track use, though but for a daily ride they are great rain or shine!

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2016, 11:03 AM   #19
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Emergency Rain Gear

It is incredible the difference (to ward off hypothermia) a simple plastic garbage bag makes in an emergency! Wear it over your shirt and under your jacket.
I got caught out in a 4C 36F rainstorm from Northern California to Tacoma Washington that I was practically catatonic the whole ride! Very stupid of me to have pressed on. The next day, similar weather; I rode the rest of the way home to Vancouver very comfortably and the only difference was the plastic under my jacket!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.8 KB, 3 views)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #20
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
::giggle:: Ice, that's the stuff in my margarita, right?
Yeah and how often do you drive on a margarita?
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #21
CaliGrrl

I guess it's good that I grew up in MN and know how to drive on ice so I don't have to drive on margaritas.

Old September 16th, 2016, 02:00 AM   #22
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Not good for any kind of track use
*cough* The first time I dragged a knee was with PR4s on the Bonnezillah. It was a huge improvement over the Sport Demons I'd been using prior. The soft compound at the edges really does work. And of course, they're great commuter/touring/rain tires. There's better race rubber out there for most bikes. But if I had to pick one pair of tires for *everything*, it'd be PR4s.

Old September 16th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #23
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
It is incredible the difference (to ward off hypothermia) a simple plastic garbage bag makes in an emergency! Wear it over your shirt and under your jacket.
I got caught out in a 4C 36F rainstorm from Northern California to Tacoma Washington that I was practically catatonic the whole ride! Very stupid of me to have pressed on. The next day, similar weather; I rode the rest of the way home to Vancouver very comfortably and the only difference was the plastic under my jacket!
now this is an innovation!

Old September 17th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #24
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome, Carol !!!

Try learning to ride in any weather condition.
Second above advice about waiting for the slippery staff to be washed away by heavy rain.

Avoid group riding as much as you can while you become familiar with your bike and riding it in traffic.
It may be cool, but it is also potentially dangerous for a new rider.
Yah, I have some friends who want to go riding, I told them not yet, I am not ready for that yet. I am becoming comfortable myself, not ready to have to coordinate a group ride.

Old September 17th, 2016, 08:09 AM   #25
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
My post was intended for newer riders and those in dry areas that seldom see the liquid sunshine.

By her own description: Sparklenation is a n00b that has yet to take a safety course. She found herself on her first rain ride surrounded by the cool kids. This is a recipe for disaster if the grease is on the road and she tries to keep up!

AFTER the pavement has been thoroughly scrubbed and rinsed (takes about an hour depending on traffic) wet pavement has lots of traction if you are smooth with your inputs.

Yep you are right about that. I just went pretty slow and thank God I work close to home so it is only about a 10 min ride. Thank you

Old September 17th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #26
CaliGrrl

Good plan to wait until you've got some experience before going in a group. The dynamics of a group are just one more thing to worry about, if you're still working on basic riding skills. It took me a while before I felt confident enough to join a group.

Old September 18th, 2016, 06:00 AM   #27
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Good plan to wait until you've got some experience before going in a group. The dynamics of a group are just one more thing to worry about, if you're still working on basic riding skills. It took me a while before I felt confident enough to join a group.
I've been riding for over 35 years, and still won't ride in a group. I ride with a few people I know, but won't ride in any group of riders that I don't.

Old September 18th, 2016, 10:55 AM   #28
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I've been riding for over 35 years, and still won't ride in a group. I ride with a few people I know, but won't ride in any group of riders that I don't.
Totally valid choice. Groups can get chaotic.

Old September 22nd, 2016, 05:01 PM   #29
Sulman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Totally valid choice. Groups can get chaotic.
I think they just get competitive. I've seen even mature riders start to get a bit silly in a large group.

I've been out with guys with much larger bikes (this is the norm for me, actually. I don't know any other 250/300 riders that will go out with a group) and the hazard for the Ninjette rider isn't keeping up; it's getting around cars safely. Supersports can do this very quickly, and if you try to follow you can get into trouble fast.

As regards rain, where I live it's a fact of life, and I'm originally from Britain, where it was also a fact of life. As my instructor said, if you don't ride in the rain, you won't ride much at all...
Sulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:15 PM   #30
CaliGrrl

Competitive, yeah, I can see it. The group we go with isn't generally too bad, and the leader definitely wants a more even keel to the group. There are a couple of "smaller" bikes that show up now and then.

Old September 22nd, 2016, 10:12 PM   #31
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
And this just all boils down to preference, because I love riding in a group. I'm either first or sweep. I lead, they catch up, or I wait, and catch up. Either way, I only see people when there is a problem, or they catch me at the next turn.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:21 AM   #32
CaliGrrl

I'm happy riding, whatever. I'll go out with my hubby and maybe a friend, or with a group. I'm good all ways. I will say that I'm glad I didn't head to a big group right away, though.