ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 22nd, 2020, 01:33 AM   #1
Dieseldog
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Bad Luck Bike 2000 Yamaha YZ 125

I'm painting my Ninjette and I wanted to get something to play around on while it's down. When I went to get the tires removed from the rims I saw a 2000 YZ 125.
I asked about it and got it for 100! I knew it would need work but how much work it needed I would soon find out.
At first glance I noticed it needed a kick start lever a few plastics and upper motor mounts. I also figured I would be replating the cylinder and getting a piston kit. It didn't look bad. The chain and sprockets are new and the seat had a new cover. Well I started to disassemble it and altogether this is what I found-
Cylinder that was on it wasn't the right one. It's off a 01
A power valve had the pin missing and the pin hole wallowed out.
The crankshaft balance weights were melted and clogging up the bearing.
The clutch boss was JB welded.
The kick start shaft would not disengage after kicking it.
Lots of missing bolts and nuts.
Bent shifter shaft
Missing shifter
Broken foot peg
No alignment dowels on the cylinder.
No copper washer/gaskets for the head.
Stripped nut on the cylinder.
No air filter
Carb seized.
At this point I still didn't think it was too bad but as I started finding and ordering parts things got bad....

I couldn't find a cylinder that was correct for my year so I just got a Big Bore Kit. 144cc Athena BBK. Mixed reviews but at the price I found I figured it was worth it.
Well it got here and it wasn't the right one for my bike.
It fit 05-18 YZ 125.
The seller said it did fit my bike and the site also concurred. I went back to the site took a screenshot of the parts showing it was correct for the 00. I sent a message with the pic and I figured I would send it back and they could send me the correct one. Well they tried to blame me for not researching the kit first and making sure that it was right. They wanted to charge me return shipping and a 20% restock fee. That would have been 160 for their mistake. They didn't want to do the right thing so I opened a complaint and got every last cent back. Well I started looking for the right one after researching on the Athena website and every store that carries Athena parts was sold out of the kit that was for my bike. My next option was a cylinder that came with the head and power valves for 500. I couldn't find anything other than a few trashed used cylinders that would need to be sent in. The crankshaft I ordered got stolen along with another package from my porch.
All this after I had already ordered pretty much everything else I would need. So now I still need a cylinder, piston kit, crankshaft and motor mounts. These three things well just two because the piston is easily found. The cylinder I get needs to have the power valves with it or I'll have to get new ones and they are not cheap. The crankshaft getting stolen really bothered me cause I got a killer deal on it and another one is like 4 times what I paid. My refund for the BBK is still not available cause the seller still hasn't received the package yet. And then it will probably take another week or two before it's back on my card. So now I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking about just parting it out and cutting my losses. But I'm still searching for the parts daily but everything I do find is either super expensive or used in horrible condition and still expensive. So if anyone that reads this knows where I might find these parts for the 2000 yz125 feel free to message me. Thanks for reading and keep on riding!!
Dieseldog is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.