ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 21st, 2012, 01:19 PM   #1
soviet
ninjette.org member

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): EX-250 04

Bike tires

Sad news I notice a large nail in my front tire today and none of the shops will plug it. I have Kenda cruiser st tires and truly I like them due to the fact they have lasted me 6000 miles and are still in good shape. Is there any other tire that has thread life like these or should I just buy one just like mine again.

My driving habit is aggressive fast take offs, going 80 around most curves at least 5 days out of the week (aka a commuter with a stuck throttle)

Old June 21st, 2012, 01:45 PM   #2
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...hlight=pirelli

they talk about some tires there and comparisons maybe not what you are looking for but i tried...
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post
.........Is there any other tire that has thread life like these...........
Nope, nothing will last like a Kenda K671.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2012, 11:03 PM   #4
soviet
ninjette.org member

thanks i found the tire for 100 which includes intalling so im going with it again but I ask must this, when going in hot on a turn and ther rear feels like it is hitting small holes is it a.tire slipping or b. shock related

Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:36 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
It can be both.

Try reducing the pressure 1 or 2 psi, then touch the tire at the end of a long trip in hot weather.
It should be hot, but not too much, so you should be able to keep hand on it.
If too hot, increase pressure.

With the rear tire in the air, force it up and down and check for play in the dogbones and shock absorber; it should be none.

BikeBandit sells it for less than $60, but you will need to install it yourself.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:04 PM   #6
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post
Sad news I notice a large nail in my front tire today and none of the shops will plug it.
They get like that sometimes. I think its a liability thing. Others say its a greed thing (they want to sell you a new tire).

You can buy plug kits at the parts store or hardware store. I carry a plug kit with me for emergencies. I've fortunately never had to use it. I wouldn't want to use plugged tires for the race track, but I don't see a problem with commuting. Use your best judgment depending on where and what the hole looks like.

Another option is to patch the tire from the inside. They've been used for over a century, now suddenly tire salesmen say they're dangerous too.

Plugged or patched, you'll need to re-balance it. Or at least re-check the balance.

New tires will work too. But more expensive.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:00 PM   #7
soviet
ninjette.org member

Thanks, I will try that when I get a new tire. I might get a more sticky tire since, the front will have a bit less wear compared to the back