ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 16th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #1
eddyble
ninjette.org member

Name: Edward

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Fork Seal is Stuck

Hey Guys,

I've changed my fork seals a couple times before and had no troubles what so ever. However, this time the fork seal is incredibly stuck and no amount of slide hammer action has made it budge (more than 1 hours worth). The silvery part also gets stuck at the top of its range when i pull really hard (probably because all the oil has drained out and it's dry as a desert in there).

I used the search function and nothing of this nature has come up. I know there is a trick with a long ass bent screw driver which you shove down through the bottom but i don't have one of those and i don't think that would work for the ninjette.

I've also tried heat (heat gun) to try to make the seal a bit more malleable but that hasn't worked either...

Anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it?

*EDIT SOLUTION*

Turns out the issue was that the fork bushing (44065A) was stripped to hell. I don't even know how it happened... All i know is it required a vice, Lots of elbow grease and lots of regular grease (WD40). I had to take it into a shop to get it done as i didn't own a vice and pulling outwards against myself just wasn't working (now i see why).

Yeah.... I don't even....

Last futzed with by eddyble; October 21st, 2013 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Problem Solved, ease of search for people with similar issue
eddyble is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

WD40 or other penetrating liquid wrench type lubricant may help.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #3
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

I'm kinda of confused because I can't imagine a seal getting stuck. Do you mean the the rubber seal(92049) or the metal bushing (44065)?

CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #4
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Ive seen Randy from Inhouse Suspension heat up the fork tube with a torch before pulling the seal out. You can try that. But first, answer what Dino74 asked because if it's the metal bushing, if you replaced them for new ones, you could be installing the wrong ones. (Don't ask me how I know with regards to my Bonneville)...
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #5
eddyble
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the responses,

It's the rubber fork seal (seated under the dust seal and metal retainer clip). Generally the thingo you replace when the forks are leaking oil.

I know about the heating method but a torch isn't available to me and i've tried a heat gun.

I'll give the wd40 option a shot later in the afternoon and report back

Thanks

Ed

Old October 17th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #6
eddyble
ninjette.org member

So WD40 didn't seem to do a thing. As i move the fork tube (silver) away from the bottom end (black part) it seems to be hitting a bit of resistance and ends up getting stuck in the seal. I usually use pyramid fork seals but this seal is from a dealer as i didn't have time to wait for a shipment.

I'm going to leave it overnight Drenched in wd40 and hopefully something will come of it tomorrow morning.

Oh, i also tried heating it (heat gun) for an extended amount of time (rubber was smoking) to no avail.

In the meantime, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Old October 19th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #7
eddyble
ninjette.org member

No dice

I managed to remove a little spring that sat around the entire fork seal and that didn't help either.

Off to the dealer i go i guess.

Old October 21st, 2013, 04:14 AM   #8
eddyble
ninjette.org member

*edited OP for solution