ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 30th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #1
mcwidave
Learning to walk

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 06 Red Ninja 250

06 Ninjette with shifting issues?

Hey everyone. So today on the ride in to work I had a new experience on my ninjette. I shifted from 1st to 2nd (just like many times before that) and it slipped out of gear and back to N. I read up a little on this and I am finding that it could be caused by not kicking it up hard enough. However I had a look at the shift pedal, the rod connecting it to the engine is kind of loose and I can twist it slightly with my fingers. Is this normal? Should I tighten it up, and if so how do I do this?

(Please excuse my lack of technical knowledge and skills, I am still proactively learning)

Thank you all in advance for the help and support!!!
mcwidave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #2
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Welcome Dave-

Check your clutch cable make sure it is adjusted first. The shifter has lock nuts but it will twist easily iirc.

Old July 30th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #3
mcwidave
Learning to walk

OK, so it's considered normal that the rod rotates a little bit? Thanks for the pointers, it is much appreciated!

Old July 30th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwidave View Post
...... I read up a little on this and I am finding that it could be caused by not kicking it up hard enough. However I had a look at the shift pedal, the rod connecting it to the engine is kind of loose and I can twist it slightly with my fingers. Is this normal? Should I tighten it up, and if so how do I do this?
The connecting rod has two spherical heads; hence, it is free to rotate some to adjust for any misalignment between the pedal mechanism and the shifter shaft.

What happened to you is common, especially if the pedal is not properly adjusted to your ergo and turning your foot all the way up is uncomfortable.

Lubrication of all pivots also helps.
Check that the bolt around which the pedal turns is tighten.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 08:42 PM   #5
mcwidave
Learning to walk

Wow! That is extremely helpful, thank you for that explanation! At least now I can rest easy knowing when I take off again tomorrow it's not going to fall apart or something. I'll definitely lube it up and have a look at adjusting, thanks again! Much appreciated!

Old July 31st, 2015, 02:05 AM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Check the alignment of the shifter linkage, also you might want to pull up on the shifter a bit harder, I have to same issue when I don't shift hard enough.

Write-up time,

Quote:
check the arrangement of the shift lever be sure the cranks on each end from a 90 degree angle with the rod.

The position of the rod to the levers can get so far off that insted of rotating them it pushes them sideways. think about the levers being full circles or discs. The rod needs to be Tangent to those circles

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2015, 10:24 AM   #7
mcwidave
Learning to walk

That is awesome!! Thanks ghostt!! Now I might look like I know what I am doing!