ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 6th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Leaking fork seal?

Hi there folks,
To start with, I am very grateful for the cooperation and assistance I have already received from fellow members in my attempt to fully restore my bike, that I bought used.
Ok, so my bike (799 miles) was involved in a low side on the left side after which the previous owner gave up on biking and I bought it. I have since swapped out the dented fuel tank, cleaned the carbs, changed the rear tire, installed new rear sets (shifter had been badly damaged) and basically done all other minor maintenance stuff. The bikes starts and idles just fine but I unfortunately haven't ridden her yet (MSF on 11/11/11). So, today I was lubricating the clutch wire when I noticed that the left fork was 'wet' for lack of any other word. Upon close inspection, I noticed that it was covered by some sort of oil/grease that I suspect came from the fork seal (I haven't researched on the matter yet). Mind you, it's only the 'left' fork (the bike crashed on the left) that's showing the leak. It's not bad and after wiping it away, I tied a paper towel around the fork seal to see if it was leaking, but nothing happened. The bike is on a rear stand and I haven't moved it, so maybe the leak happens when I move the bike?
I need some advice. Do you guys think this is serious and if so, how serious? Can I fix it on my own? If I can't, do you think I would be able to safely ride it to a kawi dealership (after I pass the MSF ofcourse). Any help, advice, suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
P.S. I suspect the dark stain on my finger is from dirt (the bike is rather dirty), the leaking liquid is clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 031120111331.jpg (90.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 031120111329.jpg (73.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 031120111328.jpg (80.2 KB, 21 views)
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

After cleaning the area, push down the front end to compress the forks. That'll give you a better idea if it's leaking or not by adding pressure to the seals. To change the seals, you'll need a way to keep the front end up off the floor (ie front triple tree stand).

Not sure how mechanically handy you are, but replacing seals isn't as easy as changing your oil or brakes, but not as hard as a valve check. You have to remove your fairings and the front wheel before being able to remove the fork.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23200
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #3
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Alright man, I'll do as you suggested first thing tomorrow morning. Unfortunately I don't have a front stand, so if I need it fixed I'm probably going to have to go to a repair shop. Just so long as it's not unsafe to ride a bike with a leaking fork (10 minute ride at most).
Thanks for the response bro, I appreciate it.

Old November 7th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

It also possible that it had a sudden release of so much oil that there isn't much left TO leak. Mine had visible rings on the right fork before I crossed the country. I hit a curb straight-on just as I arrived and that sprayed a ton all over near the brake rotor but I could tell that it was blowing strings of it all over my right fairing the whole way because it was black and fuzzy like the dust buildup on a box fan while the fresh spray was still clear.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #5
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Well...the bike had been standing for 6 months prior to me buying it, so it's possible I guess for the fork oil? liquid? to have spilled out completely during the accident or it's aftermath. Anyway, from your story, I think I can ease the ninja over to the repair shop and have them look it over.
Thanks again for chiming in guys.

Old November 7th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #6
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

I've done one set of fork seal change myself. Its a good amount of work that requires some special tools and it can be messy. For my last set, I had a shop do it for me but I saved some $$$ by taking the forks off the bike myself.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
It is a good idea to replace the upper bushing as well. Not only will it tighten things up. It will hold back more oil than a worn bushing . Giving the fork seal less work to do so they will be leak free longer
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #8
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

Eh if its a result of a lowside and not just dirt ect on the forks wouldn't that mean the triple is twisted? ...
Posted via Mobile Device
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #9
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

I don't know why everyone is always in such a hurry to rip things apart. Your bike only has 799miles on it. I can't see the seals or bushings being shot, even with a low side crash. Second, that doesn't look that much oil. Chances are your seal dried out a little from sitting and if your temperatures are starting to fluctuate from morning to night, the temperature changes can cause wheeping. I store my bike inside during the winter and in the spring when I first move it out to my shed, where it is colder I have had fork seals wheep. It has always stops after a ride or two. Mind you if it is excessive then you will have to fix it. Like you said it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore. Personally I would just monitor it and if it starts leaking like the picture every time you take the bike out. Then I would get it fixed. Just my 2cnts.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #10
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Thanks again for all the input guys.
I've been constantly checking on the fork, no major leakage as of yet.
@calvin, you've put my mind to rest mate, thanks.
My MSF course starts tomorrow (11/11/11) and as soon as I have that squared off, I'll take the bike out for a tentative virgin ride and see how it goes!
peace.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:00 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPHYN View Post
I don't know why everyone is always in such a hurry to rip things apart. Your bike only has 799miles on it. I can't see the seals or bushings being shot, even with a low side crash. Second, that doesn't look that much oil. Chances are your seal dried out a little from sitting and if your temperatures are starting to fluctuate from morning to night, the temperature changes can cause wheeping. I store my bike inside during the winter and in the spring when I first move it out to my shed, where it is colder I have had fork seals wheep. It has always stops after a ride or two. Mind you if it is excessive then you will have to fix it. Like you said it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore. Personally I would just monitor it and if it starts leaking like the picture every time you take the bike out. Then I would get it fixed. Just my 2cnts.
With all the instructions to get EXACTLY the same levels in each fork right down to the drop, I was under the impression that it was pretty important.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:07 AM   #12
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

It's really not very important...I've had a really leaky left seal on one bike for 2 years now. I'm surprised there's still any oil left on that side, but it keeps on leaking. Doesn't seem to affect anything (at least, nothing noticable through the apehangers...)
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #13
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

I was just saying clean it and monitor it, then fix it if keeps leaking. Looking at the pictures it looks bad but it takes very LITTLE oil to make a BIG mess.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote