ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 18th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

What do you think of these purchases?

AGV jacket;

Alpinestar gloves;

and

some Bohn armor to wear under my jeans.

(Not a huge fan of the baggy riding jeans, and don't want to look like an astronaut either.)

What do you guys think?

I was going to get some boots, too, but the ones I have are good enough.
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #2
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
70 mph crash testimonial on the pants. Nice
Leather Jacket is very good but ...
You want gauntlet gloves
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #3
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
70 mph crash testimonial on the pants. Nice
Leather Jacket is very good but ...
You want gauntlet gloves
Yeah, I was kind of on the fence about the gloves.

I just canceled the gloves and am looking for some gauntlets.

I know the Held Phantom II's are very popular, but they are also way too expensive. . . How about these?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...rs-sp-8-gloves

Old March 18th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #4
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Is this going to be your only jacket? If so I would suggest something more versatile, probably something that's a mesh/textile combination. Maybe something like this.

Also I'd go with overpants instead of the bohn armor. Nice thing about overpants is that you can easily take them off once you get to your destination. I personally wear these pants and really like them.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Good jacket. I rock some AGV Willow pants and am very happy with them. Good value in leather gear.

Recognize that the back pad it comes with is flat out useless... true of all jackets, regardless of price. Consider a proper back protector insert. Good ones are getting less expensive... Go for CE level 1 minimum, level 2 preferred.

No experience with those gloves, but I wouldn't trust my hands to mesh and "synthetic leather." That's just me. You know that while various parts of your body may escape damage in a crash, your hands are just about guaranteed to go sliding along the pavement, right?

Okay, so you're getting padded long johns, which is good. But what about abrasion? Your jeans will shred in a second or two. The underwear won't last much longer.

Do you plan on wearing the underwear all day? If not, then you're intending to disrobe at your destination... which begs the question of why proper riding pants are not under consideration.

We all have our own sensitivities and preferences... you don't want to "look like an astronaut" which by definition means that safety is not taking a priority position over fashion sense.

This is a tough question for a lot of people. I can only speak for myself... I decided years ago that I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of convenience in the interest of remaining whole and road-rash free.

You also use the phrase "good enough." That's a judgment call we all make. How much protection is sufficient? I propose that the question might be approached differently: "If I go down, am I willing to deal with the consequences of wearing this gear?" The fact that you're going to wear jeans and padded lycra long johns suggests that you're willing to deal with abrasions, but not broken bones.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #6
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Also I'd go with overpants instead of the bohn armor. Nice thing about overpants is that you can easily take them off once you get to your destination. I personally wear these pants and really like them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I rock some AGV Willow pants and am very happy with them. Good value in leather gear.

You also use the phrase "good enough." That's a judgment call we all make. How much protection is sufficient?
Good points, thanks. I canceled both gloves and bohn armor. I do have another jacket, that is mesh, that I can use in especially hot weather.

I'm looking at some gauntlets and overpants. The AGV willows look pretty good, except, how much ventilation do you get?

I'm somewhat worried about that jacket in New Mexico summer weather, but I don't know if I could stand baking my entire body.

As far as boots, I say "good enough" because they are leather, cover my ankles, and fit very snugly.

Old March 18th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #7
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I wear overpants to work everyday and love them. I have the Scorpion deuce, just bought a size larger than normal to fit over work clothes. They will be baggy when standing up, but when sitting they are not and that is why they maintain coverage over ankle
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #8
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post

I know the Held Phantom II's are very popular, but they are also way too expensive. . . How about these?

Good gloves

Old March 18th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #9
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
I wear overpants to work everyday and love them. I have the Scorpion deuce, just bought a size larger than normal to fit over work clothes. They will be baggy when standing up, but when sitting they are not and that is why they maintain coverage over ankle
Those look pretty good, as do the Willows.

But if baggy, won't the armor over the knees just slide around during a fall?

Quote:
Good gloves
Great, I'll get these, thanks!!

Old March 18th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #10
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:

They tend to on these, others have used double sided sticky velcro to adjust the height of the pads, I just have not gotten around to it. I have also riden in complete downpours in these with the liner in them and my work pants were completly dry when I got to work. well worth the money. Also amazing how much it increases your confidence, just don't let that lead to stupid risks. I rode down to the store the other day with all gear except for my pants and I literally felt naked.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #11
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:

I have had the SP-2's for over a year now and they have held up great. I'd say you can't go wrong with the SP-8's. They offer good protection for street riding.

Another option for you legs, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-knee-v-guard They can fit under a regular pair of jeans. Offer great protection to knees and shins and when paired with racing boots your lower legs are covered. But be aware that jeans will instantly rip if you start sliding on the ground.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2014, 01:23 PM   #12
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
As far as boots, I say "good enough" because they are leather, cover my ankles, and fit very snugly.
Just because they are leather and cover your ankles, doesn't mean it actually protects your ankles. Does it have achilles protection, malleolus protection, toe protecdtion, protection from hyperextension, shin protection, etc? Those are factors to consider as well.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #13
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Another option for you legs, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-knee-v-guard They can fit under a regular pair of jeans. Offer great protection to knees and shins and when paired with racing boots your lower legs are covered. But be aware that jeans will instantly rip if you start sliding on the ground.
Hmm, maybe I can pair these with some kevlar jeans. . I just hate the bagginess of all these pants I'm looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Just because they are leather and cover your ankles, doesn't mean it actually protects your ankles. Does it have achilles protection, malleolus protection, toe protecdtion, protection from hyperextension, shin protection, etc? Those are factors to consider as well.
Good points. I guess I should get a pair after all. Can you recommend some that don't look like I'm going skiing?

Old March 18th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #14
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
I was just about to ask the same. Ankles with no pins in them are cool.

Old March 18th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #15
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Good points. I guess I should get a pair after all. Can you recommend some that don't look like I'm going skiing?
NO

Old March 18th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #16
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
NO
lol

Old March 18th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #17
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Hmm, depends on how much protection you want. I have the Dainese Torque Pro Out, I love them, they fit comfortably and to me, there was no break in required. I've heard others on this forum recommend A*s SMX, as well as Sidi and for the budget conscience Cortech Latigo's. I definitely wouldn't recommend a boot with laces as that has the potential to get stuck on something and tie your foot up. Revzilla just did a recent guide on commuter boots (which I believe you do) and short boots, you can check them out here:

Link to original page on YouTube.

antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #18
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
I keep a extra pair of work shoes under my desk, so I do not have to carry them in my bag, whenever I ride to work.

Old March 18th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #19
adouglas
Cat herder

The AGV Willows are not overpants. They are full-on riding pants complete with knee pucks, made to be worn with proper motorcycle boots.

Mine are perforated and nice and cool while in motion. Sitting still with no wind, anything is going to be hot.

Here's how I roll:

- I keep a pair of jeans at work. When I get there in the morning I grab them and head to the rest room. Two minutes later I'm ready for the day. About as inconvenient as my morning post-coffee pee. Reverse at the end of the day.

- If I'm riding for fun I just wear them all day. I'm out to ride, not be a fashion model. Besides, I look better in riding gear than I do in street clothes anyway -- at least I think so.

- If I'm going out socially I'm unlikely to be riding anyway. But if I am and I need to not "look like an astronaut" when I get there, I just chuck some pants in a backpack or tank bag and bring them with me. Two minutes in a bathroom and hey presto, Clark Kent awakens.

FWIW I also have a pair of Fieldsheer overpants for cool weather. The AGVs are too cool for early spring/late fall.

Old March 18th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Han, there's this recurring theme of "I don't want to look like a..." when discussing gear that's meant to save your body from damage.

A message for you:

Old March 18th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #21
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:

I'd strongly consider these, they're at a good price point and appear to be of good quality. most importantly they're gauntlet gloves. the other a* gloves that you linked in the op are designed for comfort in super hot weather and don't really work as well as these. I'd personally consider getting both if I lived in an area that sees triple digit temps for weeks at a time but not otherwise.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #22
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
you must not like your ankles
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #23
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:

Great, I'll get these, thanks!!
I may be a bit late but definitely return and drop anything with a palm that isn't reinforced with leather. Just imagine what usually will bear the impact of your whole body in a bail x 50. I have these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...tigo-rr-gloves

Last futzed with by Brian; March 18th, 2014 at 10:14 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote