Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old May 4th, 2017, 06:20 AM   #1
Schweedo
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2007 YZF600R

Need help choosing boots

Boots are the last piece of gear I need to acquire and I'm having trouble deciding. My riding is all street so I don't need track level protection but I definitely want good protection and I don't want to spend over 300. I'm looking at sidi cobras, alpinestars smx 6 and the dainese nexus right now and can't decide what one to go with. So I'm just looking for any advice, opinions or any other helpful info on these or other boots that might fit my needs and budget.
Schweedo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2017, 06:32 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I have Sidi and Alpinestar sport/race boots, and if I were buying a new pair would go with the Sidis.

Sidi has a different heel and arch that makes the boot fit the peg better, and keeps your foot in a better position for the shifter. The A*s I have feel very thick in that area, and make it harder to get your toe under the shifter.

My boots aren't brand new, so they may have changed, but overall I like the design of the Sidi boot better.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2017, 06:44 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The last pair I bought were Cortech Latigo Air boots. I happened to find "blems" at Motorcyclegear.com for $135, free shipping. They've gone through two riding seasons and some days at the supermoto track, including some crashes there, and are holding up great. They're very comfortable, too.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
The last pair I bought were Cortech Latigo Air boots. I happened to find "blems" at Motorcyclegear.com for $135, free shipping. They've gone through two riding seasons and some days at the supermoto track, including some crashes there, and are holding up great. They're very comfortable, too.
My youngest son bought a set of Latigos also. The toe slider on one has pulled out, and the screw mount in the boot just spins so we can't remove the screw and reattach it. It was over-tightened from the factory and the screw head is not wide enough to hold it securely.

I had considered buying a set at one time myself, but I don't feel they are quite at the same level as Sidi or A*.

Old May 4th, 2017, 07:15 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Seems like Cortech should be of some help with that pair. My experience with motorcycle gear manufacturers is they like to fix problems and maintain their reputation.

Old May 4th, 2017, 08:00 AM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Seems like Cortech should be of some help with that pair. My experience with motorcycle gear manufacturers is they like to fix problems and maintain their reputation.
Good point.

I guess I should hunt down a number for them and give them a call to see if they will do anything. It's barely held down now, and will pop out again with the slightest bump.

Old May 4th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I bought a Firstgear Onyx tail bag for my Guzzi a few years ago. The zipper pulls on the two main zippers of the top both broke, leaving only stubs to grab. I emailed Firstgear to ask if they had replacement pulls available, and attached a couple photos to show what I was looking for. I just wanted a couple mailed to me so I could put them on myself.

The reply said that a whole new bag was already on the way by UPS, and asked that I return the old one when the new bag arrived, using the prepaid label they sent with it. Talk about extreme service.

Old May 4th, 2017, 09:03 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
my $0.02:

Looks like you're already doing this, but I'd go for touring-type boots that cover your shins (vs. "shorty" boots).

For the track I have real race boots (Sidi ST Airs) but on the street I wear lowly Bilt perforated Trackstars. Despite the name they're really not track boots... more like touring boots with toe sliders. They were inexpensive (like about $60 on sale) but they're holding up surprisingly well and are now going into their seventh season. I like them enough that when I ran across a near-new pair someone was selling for cheap, I snapped them up and put them on the shelf.

The exact same boot appears to have been renamed the Liberty and marketed for women. Go figure.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-...y-womens-boots

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #9
Schweedo
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm definitely going for a tall boot and I plan on wearing them over my riding pants. I'm leaning towards the sidi at the moment, probably the air version since most of my riding is done in hotter weather. I thought about going for more of a touring boot but I would feel better with some track like protection on them. I'll have to take a look at the cortechs and bilt boots mentioned. I'm sure almost anything is better than high top sneakers.

Old May 17th, 2017, 02:55 AM   #10
djerwin02
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jerwin

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

I have a pair of Sidi B2's. They are comfortable for all day wear.
djerwin02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #11
Schweedo
ninjette.org member

I ended up getting the sidi cobra airs but they were a little big, I wear a 10 1/2 or 11 and ordered the Euro 45. I also decided the calf was too big, even with my pants with the shin guards tucked in it was looser than I would have liked. I could have lived with it but I decided to send them back and pay the extra 25 bucks for the vertigos with the adjustable calf, and in a size 44. They unfortunately don't make the air version of those anymore but hopefully the vent that's on there will provide some airflow, I should have them this week.

Old May 17th, 2017, 11:57 AM   #12
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweedo View Post
My riding is all street so I don't need track level protection but I definitely want good protection. I'm just looking for any advice, opinions or any other helpful info on these or other boots that might fit my needs and budget.

I'm not sure that crashing on the street is any less demanding on your gear than crashing on the track. In fact it looks to me to be just the opposite, lots more things to hit after a get off on the street. Most of the crashes on the track are at relatively slow speeds in the corners where there's not much to hit other than the track or dirt.
That said, unless you need the latest gear, think about picking up some of last year's models, most online places discount to make room for the new stuff.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 17th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #13
Schweedo
ninjette.org member

I understand what you're saying and agree 100%. I guess what I was trying to say is I'm willing to sacrifice a little protection for everyday comfort. The closeouts are always the first place I look for gear, just nothing I wanted for boots right now. The cobra airs felt like a nice boot other than my couple sizing issues so I'm expecting to be pleased with the vertigos.

Old May 17th, 2017, 02:40 PM   #14
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Talked to a guy last night in a wheelchair that had an external fixator on his ankle from a cycle "crash".

Turns out he dropped his Goldwing on his foot in the garage and messed it up royally.

I won't hardly ride around the block without my sport/race boots on. Ankle injuries are terrible and will affect you the rest of your life.

Old May 17th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #15
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
gotcha, though I have to say my A* SMX Plus are more comfy than my SMX 5's, but the Pluses are more dinging around to get on and off.

Old May 17th, 2017, 04:12 PM   #16
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
my $0.02:

Looks like you're already doing this, but I'd go for touring-type boots that cover your shins (vs. "shorty" boots).

For the track I have real race boots (Sidi ST Airs) but on the street I wear lowly Bilt perforated Trackstars. Despite the name they're really not track boots... more like touring boots with toe sliders. They were inexpensive (like about $60 on sale) but they're holding up surprisingly well and are now going into their seventh season. I like them enough that when I ran across a near-new pair someone was selling for cheap, I snapped them up and put them on the shelf.

The exact same boot appears to have been renamed the Liberty and marketed for women. Go figure.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-...y-womens-boots
What's the difference between touring boots and MX boots? They look about the same to me, with exceptions for style. I've considered getting a pair of MX boots instead, but is the level of protection adequate? I've seen you give boot-advice more than a few times, so I figured I'd ask you. Anyone else can chime in as well
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 05:32 AM   #17
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'm no expert... just sharing my own experiences.

Those two boot styles are not alike at all...

Touring

Motocross

Motocross boots are more like track boots, but with greater emphasis on shin protection. They're much higher. I also think they may have less emphasis on ankle stability, but not sure because I don't ride dirt... a lot of high-end track boots are more like ski boots than anything you can walk in.

Touring boots offer similar coverage and ankle support to work boots. They differ in having stiff plates over the shin, shift protectors on the toe, soles that are better suited to motorcycle use, etc. You want to be able to walk around in a touring boot all day long, so they never have exoskeleton-like ankle support or anything like that.

The whole "what's enough?" question is tricky. Just like protective gear, it's a compromise between the protection you get and real-world utility. My track boots are utterly unsuitable for daily wear because walking in them for more than a few hundred yards starts to get painful. But my street boots are all-day comfortable. You know me... I'm ATGATT, all-leather. Far more conscious of this stuff than most riders. But I wear cheap touring boots on the street.

Break this down and think about it. What does a boot need to do?

- Stay together in a crash, just like any piece of protective gear.
- Protect your shins from the odd flying rock.
- Offer ankle support if you go down.
- Be compatible with the controls of your bike (i.e. heavy lugged soles can catch on your pegs and make shifting foot position awkward, shifters can scuff the toe box, etc.)
- Be practical (walkable, comfortable) in the real world.

Judge a boot that way.

My thinking is that while a high-end touring boot will be of undoubtedly better construction than my cheap ones, the chances of me actually sliding along with my feet under me are small. So the "stay together" thing is different from the garments that protect my torso and legs.

Ankle support is a clear trade-off. You can wear massively braced boots that you can't walk in and feel secure that your ankles will be okay... but what's the point if you can't walk around when you get off the bike?

Protection from stones is easy. It's just plastic plates in the shaft of the boot.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #18
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
TCX is another brand to consider as well. I've had good experiences with them. They normally go on closeout when a new model comes out.

Old May 18th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #19
Schweedo
ninjette.org member

Well the sidi vertigos came in today, so far I'm pleased. They seem very comfortable, I only went out for a 30 min ride but they felt great. I don't think the vents provided too much airflow but it was better than nothing for sure, pretty hot one here too. Shifting is quite a bit different than riding with shoes but nothing I won't get used to. The calf is still very big, it's not quite snug even with my pants tucked in. Every other part of the boot fits great so either they're that way for a reason or there's a lot of people with terrifyingly large legs. Thanks for all the input though

Old May 18th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #20
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
My boots don't have venting at all, but wearing wool socks has made life quite comfortable.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2017, 02:13 AM   #21
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
joe rockets ballastic touring boots

i picked these off of amazon$94.28

maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #22
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
set ups

i was using these. i'll sell em if ya need a set size 13 saved my ankle in a bad crash on my zrx

maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2017, 09:49 AM   #23
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

I'm still rocking my SiDi Cobra 2 Boots. Comfortable for riding, harsh as all hell trying to walk any distance in them. I value my feet, ankles, and mobility though, so I won't ride without them. I just ride for fun, not transportation, so I never have to walk far in them anyway. Saved my left heel from a nasty impact the other day. Not even a bruise. I wear them when I ride MX as well. Well made durable boots.

Old June 13th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #24
Pig
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
i picked these off of amazon$94.28
(Joe Rocket Ballistic Touring Men's Boots)

I bought the exact same boots a few weeks ago for my new Ninja 300 and found them to be very comfortable.
HOWEVER, I find them hard to shift in and ended up using them for when I use the weed trimmer.

I ordered the Alpinestar SMX3 now, and hope they are more "usable".
Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2017, 03:56 AM   #25
Schweedo
ninjette.org member

After living with the sidi vertigos for awhile I'm still very happy with my decision. Very comfortable on the bike for hours of joy riding, wouldn't want to walk too far but they're fine for getting a few things at the store or similar excursions. @Pig, shifting was quite different than what I was used to wearing shoes but it just took spending some time to get the hang of it. I would think most motorcycle boots have the same characteristic since limiting ankle mobility is a big concern. My biggest problem was not letting the shift lever all the way back down, I consider it just unlearning bad habits I learned wearing tennis shoes.

Old June 13th, 2017, 01:16 PM   #26
Pig
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweedo View Post
@Pig, shifting was quite different than what I was used to wearing shoes but it just took spending some time to get the hang of it. I would think most motorcycle boots have the same characteristic since limiting ankle mobility is a big concern. My biggest problem was not letting the shift lever all the way back down, I consider it just unlearning bad habits I learned wearing tennis shoes.
Thanks for that, I appreciate it.
And I was wondering if that was indeed the case. To make things worse, the bike was brand new, the boots were brand new, and I hadn't ridden a [motor]bike in 25 years. So yeah, shifting wasn't as easy as I wanted it to be on the way home from the dealer. Wasn't bad, and I didn't miss any gears, but it was more of a struggle than I was comfortable with (and not how I remembered it with my old, crappy DR125 back in the day wearing sneakers).

Maybe they will eventually wear in after all the weed trimming I have been doing!?

Again, thanks for the encouragement.
Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #27
Schweedo
ninjette.org member

Yeah don't give up on it quite yet, sounds like the boots were just one of a few factors at play. I'm sure the smx 3's will be nice when you want to go out and not look like a spaceman though.

Old July 19th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #28
Riding_Disaster
I'm learning ... LOL

Name: Kristy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I'm going to say Dainese Nexus. I had a pair and they saved my ankle from being crushed when it got pinned between a bike and some asphalt. They are VERY supportive and comfortable to walk in. Go to Cycle Hear and at least try them on. Get a size smaller than you would in Sidi or Alpinestars though.
Riding_Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote