ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old April 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

at what wind speed should you park the bike?

was riding out today and it suddenly became very windy after only 5 min of riding. winds were 19mph with gust of 30mph. i was only going 50mph on a side road and a gust a wind caught me unexpectaly from the side and the bike leaned a little too much for my liking and scared the living daylights outta me. i decided to call it quits and just went home right away. needless to say i missed out the first nice warm day of riding and i'm bored as hell.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

Proper 'form' can help reduce the effects of wind on you.
Letting your body move around in the wind helps reduce the effect on the bike I find. Be nice and relaxed, loose so to speak.

I've rode in winds like that, possibly even stronger (good ol' chinooks) on my 250 and didn't find it too bad.

Only ever bothered me when leaned over while taking corners fast.
But there's an easy solution to that one, don't go double the recommended speed on corners when there's heavy winds.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #3
BlueRaven

it was just my second ride with this bike and i was riding in the form that i was taught in riding school. it made me soo uncomfortable that i noticed my hand were falling asleep as i was gripping the handlebars too tight.

Old April 25th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #4
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

You just learned the first clue of not being relaxed - death grip. Every move you make and every move the bike makes get amplifed when you are squeezing the grips like you are choking a chicken.

Relax like Mista Bob said and that will be a big improvement. More miles will help too. But been there and did that myself so don't feel bad. There are a lot of days and miles in front of you.

Old April 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #5
BlueRaven

the part that scared me is when the gust of wind caught the left side of the bike it felt like the bike was going to slide on its left side into the ditch like when i would lean into a turn. i didnt know if i got a gust of wind strong enough if it would lean far enough that i would slide on the pavement. would that ever happen?

Old April 25th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Here's a pretty good thread about riding in the wind. There are other riding tips type threads up in this directory.

I've ridden in 50+ mph winds with variable gusts on top of that, and while they can be exciting, there's no guarantee that they will be terribly dangerous. It would start to concern me if I wasn't on good surface at the time. For example, I'd imagine I'd be a little concerned if I was on something like a grated metal bridge while the wind was very strong. Also if it were very high winds along with significant rain, which would make the surface a bit more iffy.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Ah, didn't realize you were a newer rider.

I didn't quite get the hang of riding in heavier winds fully till about after 1500 or so km's on my 250.
Granted we get a lot of heavier winds here so it may take longer if you don't get it as often where you are.
And just getting more riding experience in general, doesn't have to be in windy conditions, will help you too.

Old April 25th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #8
BlueRaven

thanks for thread alex. was looking for one but couldn't find one so i posted a new one.
just curious to know if i there was a chance i was gonna slide or not. i wont be so scared next time.
oh by the way i only weigh 115lbs

Old April 25th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #9
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Don't let online advice encourage you to ride above your comfort level. Figure out your wind threshold, and when it's windier than that, take the cage. There are lots of techniques that will help you control the bike on a windy day, but until you get comfortable with wind (a little at a time) it can make you hate your motorcycle.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #10
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
it was just my second ride with this bike and i was riding in the form that i was taught in riding school. it made me soo uncomfortable that i noticed my hand were falling asleep as i was gripping the handlebars too tight.
I had the same problem when I started riding a few months ago. While riding, reminding yourself to relax and only hold the grips enough to maintain control, squeeze your legs together, gripping the tank with your knees. Also make sure you have good gloves. As for the wind, I have a cross wind on my daily commute, first from the right and then, 100m later, from the left. Just the way the terrain goes. A few times I have been leaned over like in a turn, and the first few times, it raised my pucker factor several levels. I also know about the weight issue, I'm only a few lbs heavier.

nb

Old April 26th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #11
NICUNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Trista

Motorcycle(s): '08 EX650R Green Kawasaki ninja

I have over 1300 km on me '09 and I too found the wind a little too much yesterday. Average speed of wind 50km yesterday. The bike was being tossed left and right... and I was having difficulty maintaining my speed on the highway 90-100 km/hr. Very disappointing on such a warm day. I had the bike out for only 20 minutes before I could turn it around and return home. If you can't enjoy the ride and feel safe with the conditions...the yes it is time to "park the bike". Safety first.
NICUNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICUNinja View Post
I have over 1300 km on me '09 and I too found the wind a little too much yesterday. Average speed of wind 50km yesterday. The bike was being tossed left and right... and I was having difficulty maintaining my speed on the highway 90-100 km/hr. Very disappointing on such a warm day. I had the bike out for only 20 minutes before I could turn it around and return home. If you can't enjoy the ride and feel safe with the conditions...the yes it is time to "park the bike". Safety first.
Yea that wind storm was brief but insane yesterday! I was out most of the morning and afternoon but was parked by 4:00. When those winds came around I ran outside to make sure my 250 didn't get blown off the driveway.

Someone from the GTA forums managed to catch the craziness on video:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #13
jfauerba
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '09 Red Ninja 250r

One idea that helps me is to tuck and put your belly on the tank. This reduces your cross section to the wind. I also have similar problems behind tractor trailers at interstate speeds. It does get easier over time. I only started riding since last Nov. and got almost 2000 miles under my belt.
jfauerba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #14
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
thanks for thread alex. was looking for one but couldn't find one so i posted a new one.
just curious to know if i there was a chance i was gonna slide or not. i wont be so scared next time.
oh by the way i only weigh 115lbs
BlueRaven-- I understand how you feel about the wind. I took the Ninja into San Francisco on Friday and the winds on the Bay Bridge are quite gusty. I thought it would blow me over for sure. I just relaxed myself (best I could) and just increased my speed a little. That seemed to help. I am only about 130lbs myself.

If you don't feel comfortable riding in gusting winds, don't. I wouldn't ride outside your limits of what you feel comfortable with. It's not worth it.

Safe riding!

Old April 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #15
Realirony
That New Kid

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja250R

Wind scares me a bit too, but not on the fact that it will push me over, but I'm scared that it will push me into other cars coming towards me or next to me. Here in NC yesterday it was 95 degrees (really hot compared to last weekend at 60 degrees) and I was on the highway winds gusting at 15 mph or so. Going 60 mph on the bike my head was bobbing around like Night at the Roxbury >.< but I stayed loose and it was more of a thrill than an OMG moment, still be careful though. It just takes getting used to and making sure not to over correct or correct at all. in my experience at least

Old April 27th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #16
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realirony View Post
Going 60 mph on the bike my head was bobbing around like Night at the Roxbury >.<
Awesomeness!

Old April 28th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #17
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
So I'm riding down the highway at 80MPH wondering what the wind speed is!

At least 80 I guess.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #18
BlueRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfauerba View Post
One idea that helps me is to tuck and put your belly on the tank.
that is too cute....if only i had a belly to tuck in ....lol

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #19
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Relax on the bike, it will get easier the more confidence you build. Tuck down in heavy winds and it will help. It can be scary sometimes if your not expecting the bike to lean all of a sudden, but you will gradually learn to shift your upper body a little to compensate.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #20
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

I've only ever had one scare with wind. I was carrying a passenger and the passenger acted like a giant sail I guess.. Anyways, just stayed relaxed and dropped speed a little and got off the highway. It was not a big deal.

Old April 28th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #21
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

It has been really windy this year in Houston. I've been blown all over the place lately. I think the only wind I wouldn't ride in is gusts greater that 40mph. I've been in 30+mph gusts, and I have done just fine, but it was a bit tiring to have to constantly compensate.

I guess it would have to be hurricane-esque weather for me not to ride.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #22
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

I just ride the Spyder when the weather is too nasty to be on two wheels. Either way, I ride everywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
SpyderGirl is offline   Reply With Quote