ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 15th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #1
Ryan_005
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Lightbulb Front and Rear Stand Question

What is the best cost effective rear and front stand? Also do I really need a front stand? whats the benefits of having either of them? Prefer to only spend like $100 or below if possible. I have a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r. I do know I have to get rear spools. What size would they be?
Ryan_005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2016, 07:19 AM   #2
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_005 View Post
What is the best cost effective rear and front stand?
That depends on your usage. You can get a pair of basic stands for $70. Pitbull stands are considered among the best, and will cost twice that much for each end.

Quote:
Also do I really need a front stand?
You do if you want to lift the front end.

Quote:
whats the benefits of having either of them?
They lift the bike up so you can work on it. What's the benefit of having jackstands for your car?

Quote:
I do know I have to get rear spools. What size would they be?
M10-1.25 or M10-1.5. Check your own bike first. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82240

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 16th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
........Also do I really need a front stand? whats the benefits of having either of them?......
There are two types of front stands: one that lifts by the wheel axle and one that lifts by the steering column, so the whole front can be disassembled.

The homemade type:

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #4
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
IMO, the ones that lift by the axle are rather useless except for storage or racing so you can install or remove your tire heaters. After all, if you're taking the front end up, odds are good you're removing the front wheel and maybe the forks too!

Get the front stand with a pin.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Ryan_005
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
IMO, the ones that lift by the axle are rather useless except for storage or racing so you can install or remove your tire heaters. After all, if you're taking the front end up, odds are good you're removing the front wheel and maybe the forks too!

Get the front stand with a pin.
Would these pair of stands be able to do the job, I just want them to be practical for cleaning my bike and brakes, not going to rebuild anything soon since I bought a "brand new" bike.

Old May 16th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #6
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Would these pair of stands be able to do the job, I just want them to be practical for cleaning my bike and brakes, not going to rebuild anything soon since I bought a "brand new" bike.
Yes, those will work for what you want to do.

However, I would not recommend sitting on the bike while it's on the rear stand. Those are a little cheap for my "feel it's safe" standard.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2016, 12:36 PM   #7
Ryan_005
ninjette.org member

OK thanks for all the help

Old May 16th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #8
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

I have those, along with the triple tree attachment for the front stand. The triple tree adapter ends up pushing upwards against the front fairing a bit too much for comfort. It works ok if u remove the side fairings and loosen up the front fairing piece (and remove the horn too).

If you dont plan to get the triple tree adapter then u should be fine. The front stand is a little nerve wracking the first time or two u use it but it gets the job done.

I ordered from Kapsco. There was an issue with the order and they made things right.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #9
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Yes, those will work for what you want to do.

However, I would not recommend sitting on the bike while it's on the rear stand. Those are a little cheap for my "feel it's safe" standard.
I have those Venom stands. I had the triple tree front stand. Not the fork style. I felt very comfortable sitting on the bike with them on. No problem at all. I even tried to rock the bike sideways. Pretty sturdy. I have pit bull stands now. Much sturdier. But those Venom stands are a great bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wolfe View Post
I have those, along with the triple tree attachment for the front stand. The triple tree adapter ends up pushing upwards against the front fairing a bit too much for comfort.
I had the same issue with my 300. See HERE for pictures. They worked fine for my 250 though. My friend purchased the same triple tree front stand and they worked fine for his 300! When I went over to his place to try his stand on my bike, they worked fine and cleared the plastics.

So with these "cheap" stands, the quality control isn't perfect. If something is off by 1mm or 2mm, it'll be the difference between the front stand touching the plastics vs having enough clearance.

But OP, for your purposes, you'll be perfectly fine with just the $70 combo (rear stand + front fork stand)

EDIT:
Here's what the Venom front triple tree stand looks like:

Here's what the Pit Bull front triple tree stand looks like:

Here's what the Venom rear spool stand looks like: