ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 31st, 2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Question Lowside- bent clutch thrust rod and possibly bent shift fork?

I met my new neighbor as he was working on his bike in the lot.
2004 ish ninja600r
He said he had a minor low side in the rain. He showed me his bent frame slider kit, practically ripped the swinger spool off and messed up his fairings badly.

After the accident his clutch would not dis engage so he replaced his clutch lever and cable to no avail. So he ended up pulling the clutch cover, behind which he found the clutch thrust rod to be bent very badly. He said he didn't see any other damage and he replaced it.

I came upon him as he started the bike and tried putting it into first and shifting through the gears. It would shift into first and back to neutral, but not up into second or any higher gears.

Has anyone seen this kind of damage from a low side and what other concerns might he want to consider beyond the immediate problems for getting the bike back together???

I would guess it has a bent up shift finger on the shifter fork from upward pressure if the shifter dragging on the road!? (Also you can see the rod between the lever and the shifter shaft arm is bowed slightly, as another clue)

I've seen bent shifter forks but never seen the clutch rod bend? What could have applied a force against it like that?? Does the bike have a slipper clutch? Could the lever being depressed at time of impact(depressing the lever and trying to disengage the clutch) combined with a force from the drive train of a locked up rear wheel or slipper clutch to bend it?

From what I read about it , he should pull the motor . Put it upside down on an engine stand an go through the internals?

The plastic frame sliders where hardly scratched but the mounting bolts and aluminum was badly bent/deformed

Crazy
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2014, 10:44 PM   #2
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Wouldn't that just be the positive neutral finder? Or was he moving?
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What the kid said.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2014, 02:29 AM   #4
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

He should pull the pressure plate for the clutch and inspect the throw out bearing and pressure plate. If there was enough force to bend the clutch rod there could be damage to the other end also. Since he is considering pulling the engine it would make sense to inspect these parts first before removal. Also the bent lever which you stated has a "bow" in it may be part of the problem. The ratio of the lever pull to the distance that lever (rod)may be the problem. The bow may be causing the "space" you mentioned. There may also be damage to the clutch actuator which transfers lever/cable pressure to the clutch rod. Sorry I don't know what they call all of the parts but I do know how it works. The length of the lever between the cable and the engage/disengage rod is effected by the length of the lever and may be the issue causing drag and not allowing the clutch to fully release pressure on the clutch pack. There could also be damage to the shift fork but it would be best to be sure before engine removal.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote