ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 20th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Why aren't there restrictions on handicap parking permits?

I always just thought it was crazy to see a corvette z06, suburban, ferrari 360, lifted 4x4, and other less-than-friendly-to-disabled-people vehicles riding around with handicap permits. The last weekend, I took my wife to a $$$ restaurant and we had a corner window seat which overlooked the ocean and the parking lot. This lifted F250 extended crew cab rolls up with it's handicap permit and parks. 4 people come out, the dad, mom, and 2 kids. None of whom were handicapped. I can only assume the permit was for a disabled relative who lives with them. I don't get it. If you or your family member is disabled, why do you drive something that most likely isn't going to be very kind to their disabilities?

Oh yeah, and if you're so old that you need a disabled parking permit, you shouldn't be driving a 500HP coupe.

Old June 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I can't stand when I see seemingly non-handicapped people using the handicap stickers but who the heck am I to tell them what to drive? If your handicapped and driving a 500hp coupe then all the more power to you, live life to the fullest .

p.s. I have seen some people with the lifted pickups that are in wheelchairs; they have a specialty crane type lift to get in / out of the vehicle which is sweet imho. Don't judge a handicapper by their vehicle, just as you don't judge a book by it's cover.

Old June 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #3
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Because its a bad system? Not sure but the sight of young hipsters coming out of their young hipster vehicles in a handicap parking space somewhat sickens me.

Not so the action but what it says about their personality.

Also... not to be mean but fat people - being fat shouldn't qualify for a disability in most cases. It just makes it easier to be fat. Notice in most cases, there are the few that would call for a handicap parking permit.

I dunno I'm just talking out of my ass, if to say the least at Wal-Mart I park my bike on the yellow lines out of the way of handicap parking but still at the entrance. Not that I'm handicapped but its my baby. Gotta watch after my ninjette.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I have a friend who is an Iraqi war vet. He bought himself a new Camaro SS. He is missing a leg from the knee down. I forget which and honestly I don't care because it doesn't matter; he lost a leg. The other leg has severe damage from shrapnel and he often jokes about how he wished he had a second prosthetic, because it is far better than his torn up ankle.

So what was your point again? I don't mean to come off as defensive, but honestly, how does this affect you at all? And since when does having a physical impairment make you less than capable mentally? I know plenty of people who have trouble walking, but you put them in a car, or even a bike, and all of a sudden they are 20 years old again.

Old June 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I had polio as a child and now one leg is shorter than the other two (not by much though). I think I should qualify for a handicap plate however; I don't want people to know my problem.

Old June 20th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Like this?

Old June 20th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #7
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
I can't stand when I see seemingly non-handicapped people using the handicap stickers but who the heck am I to tell them what to drive? If your handicapped and driving a 500hp coupe then all the more power to you, live life to the fullest .

p.s. I have seen some people with the lifted pickups that are in wheelchairs; they have a specialty crane type lift to get in / out of the vehicle which is sweet imho. Don't judge a handicapper by their vehicle, just as you don't judge a book by it's cover.
And they were driving a lifted truck? It would bother me that they have a physical handicap and are allowed to operate a 2+ ton vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I have a friend who is an Iraqi war vet. He bought himself a new Camaro SS. He is missing a leg from the knee down. I forget which and honestly I don't care because it doesn't matter; he lost a leg. The other leg has severe damage from shrapnel and he often jokes about how he wished he had a second prosthetic, because it is far better than his torn up ankle.

So what was your point again? I don't mean to come off as defensive, but honestly, how does this affect you at all? And since when does having a physical impairment make you less than capable mentally? I know plenty of people who have trouble walking, but you put them in a car, or even a bike, and all of a sudden they are 20 years old again.
A physical impairment doesn't make you mentally incapable, but you don't need much in the way of mental capabilities to drive a car. You do need some good reflexes and the physical ability to perform maneuvers that may save your life or someone else's. Can your friend honestly say that he's able to drive and do emergency maneuvers just as well if he hadn't been injured? I'm not taking a jab at your friend, so don't take it personal. I'm also not saying he shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Old June 20th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #8
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I had polio as a child and now one leg is shorter than the other two (not by much though). I think I should qualify for a handicap plate however; I don't want people to know my problem.
Well we know now, looks like you can grab that permit now lol.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i used to completely agree with the "no visible handicap, no handicap plate!" but there are quite a few handicaps that aren't visible. heart conditions and heat tolerance issues for example. i've met a few people who are physically able to walk a distance, but if they do they will suffer the consequences a few minutes later. now if i see someone parked in one who looks completely fine and jumps out of their lifted truck with gusto, i just assume they have a mental handicap.

Old June 20th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I got a buddy that got shrapnel in the calf on his left leg (they removed most of the calf), he cant walk very well but he bought a nice GTO (automatic) and he parks in handicap spots. Honestly without knowing him you would never know he is disabled, he looks like he can walk fine, and always wheres pants to cover the scars.

He drives a thousand times better than half the people I pass in a day. Sure it sucks you had to walk all the way to the restaurant but if that is the hardship you and your wife suffered I don't think I will pity you for it.

S.F. has some serious hills and some people can't drive a bike very well and might crash because of it, so we should outlaw motorcycles in the S.F. area. . .follows the same logic as; some people have disabilities that limit their ability to drive fancy cars and might cause them to crash, so we should outlaw them. . .
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

How about you mind your own business and let people drive whatever vehicle works for them? Of all the issues that are of concern, I dont think the use/misuse of handicap placards is one that derserves much attention at the moment.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #12
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

Every1 here jumping on the band wagon it seems. All he was saying is there must be stonger setting in order to obtain a sign. I agree with him in a way saying if your in a heel chair get ur ass off a lifted 2 ton truck. It seems you see more and more people with these signs who don't need them and are takeoff a sign away from some1 who needs it. I say drive what makes u happy but when it endangers other and your self... Come on get out the dam lifted truck and get a more friendly vehicle to te condition

Old June 20th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #13
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

There are many so-called "invisible disorders".

I had a handicapped placard for many months -- to a casual observer, I'm sure I looked like a completely healthy young woman.

However, my back injury was bad enough that I could only walk short distances. Driving was just fine but walking more than a few yards was excruciating.

Fortunately, no one ever commented to my face that I shouldn't have had a handicapped placard, though I would have happily kicked in the shins anyone who suggested it.

Old June 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #14
money
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

I had this discussion with my dad the other day. He has a back injury that has caused nerve damage to one leg and this causes him to walk with a significant limp. He said as long as he's able, he's proud to be able to walk the extra distance. Even when he's been driving around someone that had a handicapped placard, he'd drop them off and then park in a normal spot.

Conversely, I had lunch with my wife a week ago at Whole Foods and saw a fat guy park his Harley in a handicapped spot and go inside.

Old June 20th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Next internet video sensation: bluepoof taking out someone's shins with a few swift kicks. The masses are calling for it!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #16
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
Every1 here jumping on the band wagon it seems. All he was saying is there must be stonger setting in order to obtain a sign. I agree with him in a way saying if your in a heel chair get ur ass off a lifted 2 ton truck. It seems you see more and more people with these signs who don't need them and are takeoff a sign away from some1 who needs it. I say drive what makes u happy but when it endangers other and your self... Come on get out the dam lifted truck and get a more friendly vehicle to te condition
I dont think anyone would've had the same issue if he said that,"Hey, handicap placards should be harder to get." But when he appoints himself as the authority of what people drive, it gets other folks' goat. Its none of his business what anyone drives - whether it be a Corvette ZR1 or a Mini Cooper.

Old June 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #17
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Man you guys really take my threads to heart. LOL

Old June 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #18
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
I dont think anyone would've had the same issue if he said that,"Hey, handicap placards should be harder to get." But when he appoints himself as the authority of what people drive, it gets other folks' goat. Its none of his business what anyone drives - whether it be a Corvette ZR1 or a Mini Cooper.
What, I'm not allowed to voice my opinion?

Old June 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #20
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
What, I'm not allowed to voice my opinion?
I dont think anyone said or implied that. We (I) are just voicing our vehement disagreement with your opinion.

Old June 20th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #21
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Well, when someone says mind ur own business, it's the same as saying shut ur mouth to me.

Old June 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #22
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Well, when someone says mind ur own business, it's the same as saying shut ur mouth to me.
Thats how I feel

Old June 20th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #23
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. To me, this feels like a Salem witch trial. Labels, assumptions, accusations, and expectations but no hard proof. Good luck with the hunt.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #24
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

not sure if has been mentioned, only read first post
but it's illegal to use a handicapped permit if there is no one handicapped in the car at that moment

so report anyone you may suspect that might be abusing the permit

but then the argument comes in at what would you consider "handicapped"?
ive heard of so many "injuries" that do seem very minor and they are considered handicapped

idk how they decide who qualifies for the permit
if anyone knows pls share
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #25
money
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

I believe you can get one with a doctor's note of some sort. A coworker of mine had a temporary one for several months after having surgery.

She stopped using it after I guilt tripped her about using a handicapped spot after she had recovered.

Old June 20th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #26
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Quote:
I always just thought it was crazy to see a corvette z06, suburban, ferrari 360, lifted 4x4, and other less-than-friendly-to-disabled-people vehicles riding around with handicap permits. The last weekend, I took my wife to a $$$ restaurant and we had a corner window seat which overlooked the ocean and the parking lot. This lifted F250 extended crew cab rolls up with it's handicap permit and parks. 4 people come out, the dad, mom, and 2 kids. None of whom were handicapped. I can only assume the permit was for a disabled relative who lives with them. I don't get it. If you or your family member is disabled, why do you drive something that most likely isn't going to be very kind to their disabilities?

Oh yeah, and if you're so old that you need a disabled parking permit, you shouldn't be driving a 500HP coupe.
A couple more points -- the handicapped tag is associated with the *person,* not with the vehicle. Imagine this hypothetical scenario: the vehicle of the person with a tag is in the shop, and a friend with a lifted 4x4 ferrari suburban 360 f250 gives them a ride to said restaurant. Should the handicapped person be forced to park far away? Of course not. It makes no sense to restrict the type of vehicles that can be associated with a tag, as long as it fits in a spot. I think suggesting that friends / family of somebody with a tag should drive something more "accommodating" is particularly absurd, especially without knowing the details of that person's case.

This has been said before, but you really can't tell by sight who is in need of a tag, nor their particular needs / capabilities.

Finally, saying that a person who is handicapped shouldn't be driving a 500hp coupe -- how is somebody with a tag any less entitled to drive whatever vehicle they want? Criticizing a vehicle as being impractical is a little bit hypocritical on a motorcycle forum. I've seen a picture of a rider with no legs tearing it up on the tail of the dragon (Granted, I have NO idea how his motorcycle was set up). Should he not be allowed to ride?
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #27
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazinCajun View Post
Finally, saying that a person who is handicapped shouldn't be driving a 500hp coupe -- how is somebody with a tag any less entitled to drive whatever vehicle they want? Criticizing a vehicle as being impractical is a little bit hypocritical on a motorcycle forum. I've seen a picture of a rider with no legs tearing it up on the tail of the dragon (Granted, I have NO idea how his motorcycle was set up). Should he not be allowed to ride?

So you're ok with the 80 year old man driving a fast sports car? How many old people do you know have the same reflexes as a 20 year old? How am I being hypocritical? Are you saying motorcycles are not practical?

Old June 20th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #28
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

Lol no point arguing about this every1 is going to say Thier point is best.

Last futzed with by whiteboy; June 20th, 2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: iPhone
whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #29
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Ok I'll take a slightly different position: there should be a sports car class license and another for large trucks and another for motorcycles ect. handicapped or not. I also think that your drivers license should be renewed annually. I also think that in a few years when they have a bit more money and tech, real world driving simulators should grade you. so say it is your day to go in, you have an appointment you go in and take a simulated test for the licenses you want. if you pass the simulator it prints your new license if not you have 3 attempts to get it right then you have to attend a training class to get another 3 chances.

Old June 20th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #30
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post
Ok I'll take a slightly different position: there should be a sports car class license and another for large trucks and another for motorcycles ect. handicapped or not. I also think that your drivers license should be renewed annually. I also think that in a few years when they have a bit more money and tech, real world driving simulators should grade you. so say it is your day to go in, you have an appointment you go in and take a simulated test for the licenses you want. if you pass the simulator it prints your new license if not you have 3 attempts to get it right then you have to attend a training class to get another 3 chances.
That would be nice. Did you know in some states, after a certain age, elderly people aren't even required to test any longer?

Old June 20th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #31
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

My neighbor is in her mid 80s and wreaked 4 cars between x-mas and the end of January. She drove 1 into a dry cleaners, hit 2 parked cars and the last time was her garage door. . . but she still drives, alot..

Then again teens are just as bad, more tests. . . lots more tests! I dont even care if they raised my taxes for it. I think this would make me safer than more police writing tickets.

Old June 20th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #32
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

i wouldnt say more test per say

i prefer driving school MANDATORY for new drivers for any class license at any age
imho tests dont do shiz in real world situations

it doesnt get any more real than actual hands on classes

i believe somewhere in europe (finland?), its mandatory for their students to spend 2-3 hours on a skid pad learning how to control a car spinning out and wet weather driving

and driving tests every time you're involved in at accident, preferably being the at fault party
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #33
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
i wouldnt say more test per say

i prefer driving school MANDATORY for new drivers for any class license at any age
imho tests dont do shiz in real world situations

it doesnt get any more real than actual hands on classes

i believe somewhere in europe (finland?), its mandatory for their students to spend 2-3 hours on a skid pad learning how to control a car spinning out and wet weather driving

and driving tests every time you're involved in at accident, preferably being the at fault party
I advocate riding a bicycle on public roads for a period of a month as part of the requirements for drivers license.

If you survive ignorant drivers on a bicycle for a period of month, you will be more aware of 2-wheel vehicle on the road and be a more considerate driver.
Not to mention get people into the mindset that they don't have to drive everywhere they go, there are plenty of alternatives to burning fossil fuel.

I grew up riding my bicycle 2-3 miles to my schools..
Nowadays, kids can't event walk 2-3 blocks to get to a bus stop, pedifile/criminal factors aside, school buses that make their stops every other block, meanwhile all the vehicles behind the bus idling are burning up fuel, is that the right way to raise our future generation?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #34
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Wow talk about a heated discussion.

If everybody were considerate and assumed to be considerate, nobody would question the usage of handicapped permits or any kind of special permits. Our first thought wouldnt be, "why is that person using that permit, he/she isnt handicapped?" but moreso, "oh bummers, wonder what happened?". The only reason why Tri questioned it in the first place is because people always take advantage of whatever they can. It's a human tendancy. With that said, there are a ton of drivers today that really are unsafe but believe they are safe drivers purely because they have yet to get into an accident they deem as their fault. I hate it when people think that they're fantastic drivers because their reasoning is "I've never been in an accident... how many have you been in?". Eh I think i've gone off topic. We having fun yet?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #35
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
So you're ok with the 80 year old man driving a fast sports car? How many old people do you know have the same reflexes as a 20 year old? How am I being hypocritical? Are you saying motorcycles are not practical?
Should my 27 year old girlfriend not allowed to drive a sports car? Guess what? She has a tag. In no way does her condition impair her driving.

When I say hypocrisy, I really don't mean that as a personal attack, please understand that. I'm just trying to show you my point of view.

I'm arguing that motorcycles are impractical (although maybe impractical isn't quite the right word, but I can't think of a better one at the moment). You have to deal with safety issues, spend more on maintenance than a typical car, pay more in insurance, have to deal with the rain, etc. etc. Yet we all still ride, because we can manage those issues and we (presumably) enjoy riding. You argued/implied that people with tags should not be allowed to drive impractical vehicles. If the person can drive safely and can deal with any issues such as getting into/out of the vehicle, why should they not be afforded the same choice?

That's what I meant by hypocrisy, no offense intended.

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #36
setasai

Quote:
How does the 80 year old man have anything to do with it? Is my 27 year old girlfriend not allowed to drive a sports car? Guess what? She has a tag. In no way does her condition impair her driving.

When I say hypocrisy, I really don't mean that as a personal attack, please understand that. I'm just trying to show you my point of view.

I'm arguing that motorcycles are impractical (although maybe impractical isn't quite the right word, but I can't think of a better one at the moment). You have to deal with safety issues, spend more on maintenance than a typical car, pay more in insurance, have to deal with the rain, etc. etc. Yet we all still ride, because we can manage those issues and we (presumably) enjoy riding. You argued/implied that people with tags should not be allowed to drive impractical vehicles. If the person can drive safely and can deal with any issues such as getting into/out of the vehicle, why should they not be afforded the same choice?

That's what I meant by hypocrisy, no offense intended.
You said it yourself. "Drive Safely" I think Tri was stating it under the impression that there are more appropriate vehicles for someone who's handicapped. If you include non-visually obvious handicaps then yes, the type of vehicle and age have nothing to do with it as long as the driver is safe and able. Atleast that's how I interpreted his post.

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #37
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

How do you define an "appropriate" vehicle?

Edit: Eerily similar thread: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17633

Old June 20th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #38
setasai

Quote:
How do you define an "appropriate" vehicle?

Edit: Eerily similar thread: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17633
Well if say the person had a bad back or other physical limitation, I'd say one of those trucks I see on the road all the time that requires even me at 6ft to "climb" into as not really appropriate. At the very least, i'd choose to drive something easier to get into and out of until my injuries healed. Are we really being so picky with definitions? I dont think I'm being that unclear about it.

Still, I just wanted to be in the discussion. Whatever other people choose to drive or do for that matter really bothers me as long as it doesnt directly affect me negatively.

Old June 20th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #39
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
This is 180 deg. from the topic but I hate to see people with no Handicap parking permit and no apparent disability parking in a handicap spot.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2011, 12:05 AM   #40
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
This is 180 deg. from the topic but I hate to see people with no Handicap parking permit and no apparent disability parking in a handicap spot.
Haha. On that same note, I hate it when cars park in designated motorcycle parking spots especially when there are only a few in the entire parking lot.