ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old February 16th, 2014, 12:25 PM   #41
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
However, filtering is forbidden down here.

Yes, we have the whole range of drivers: the texting teenager, the anxious soccer mom, the arrogant contractor, the evening drunk, the slow octogenarian; including the Northern drivers and Canadian tourists looking for directions and getting a break from the brutal winter.

Riding without colliding is doable in South Florida, but you must be fearless and extra alert.
Filtering is forbidden where I live but I do it anyway, haven't been ticketed for it yet but it has been pointed out to me that "I can't do that" by local law enforcement officers. Sounds like my commute except with a different kind of stupid drivers to look out for and different things to watch for.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #42
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
Filtering is forbidden where I live but I do it anyway, haven't been ticketed for it yet but it has been pointed out to me that "I can't do that" by local law enforcement officers. Sounds like my commute except with a different kind of stupid drivers to look out for and different things to watch for.
I used to live in Monkton Md. I was so happy to escape the idiotic bull s***.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #43
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
I used to live in Monkton Md. I was so happy to escape the idiotic bull s***.
I live about 15-20 miles north of Monkton and commute daily to UMBC in catonsville. The amount of BS I come across during my commute in the morning (with rush hour) is insane. It's fine on the way back though since I get out of class at 3.

Old February 18th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #44
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I'd rock that car like a boss!
Yeah. I rocked it. How could you not rock that car?
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #45
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Quote:
However, filtering is forbidden down here.
What is filtering?
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #46
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
What is filtering?
using the space between cars, also known as lane splitting. It's a reasonably safe practice if you aren't an about it. It also prevents you from being rear ended in stopped traffic.

legal worldwide excluding america where it is only legal in cali. It's considered reckless driving everywhere else in the US and you can get your license revoked if you don't make sure there are cops around when you do it. On the upside if you flip your plate real quick officers typically won't bother to chase you down for it (at least not around here during rush hour)

Old February 18th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #47
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
What is filtering?
Down the middle between stopped/slow traffic, splitting is same but with faster moving traffic
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #48
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Ah I see, thanks.
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #49
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Name: Daniel "God"

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
The blinker thing isn't so much a sign of sh*tty driving as it is a sign of inattention. It doesn't hurt anyone.

Lousy driving includes:
  • Failure to TAKE right of way when it's yours
HOLY **** THIS, this is a never ending cycle because once someone fails to take the right of way the next time the other guy comes up to the same place he will not give the right of way and the cycle continues. I HATE this. when someone is at a stop sign 10 seconds before me and they wait for me and wave me through, sure its nice but i feel like saying "thanks dumbass" because they clearly have no idea how signs work
xaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #50
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaple View Post
HOLY **** THIS, this is a never ending cycle because once someone fails to take the right of way the next time the other guy comes up to the same place he will not give the right of way and the cycle continues. I HATE this. when someone is at a stop sign 10 seconds before me and they wait for me and wave me through, sure its nice but i feel like saying "thanks dumbass" because they clearly have no idea how signs work
I do that **** on my bike but only because if they decide to go when I have right of way I'm the one who feels the pain so I'd rather that they go and I don't have to worry about potentially being t-boned by a car which HURTS. Now if I'm there 5-10 seconds before they are I'm just going to go as you should.

Old February 18th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #51
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaple View Post
Some guy was waiting at a stop sign, clearly there before me. The coast was clear and he never went....5 secs....10 secs went by. He's still not going. So I inch out and start to go, and at the same time he inches out. I just continue to move thru because we had waited long enough. He thinks I took his right of way and puts his hands up in the air as we pass each other, the "WTF are you doing?!" gesture. So I gave him a set of these , except without the grin.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #52
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

Anyone with kids in the car. Avoid at all costs.
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #53
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

Here is CA we have LOTS of unlicensed drivers who are indifferent to traffic laws (most of whom have sneaked in to the country). Too many citizens who have earned their driving privilege don't bother to signal turns or stop at stop signs. Every time you make a full stop, you risk being rear-ended. (Over the years, it's happened to me twice).

Last week I was behind a guy who signaled for a left turn, then turned right!

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:06 PM   #54
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I cannot explain it. it is a sixth sense.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old March 7th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #55
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

I still say the Prius driver is the worst. These cars have digital readouts on the dashboards indicating current mileage. Trying soooooo frigging hard to stretch it from 62 mpg to 63 mpg, Prius drivers are watching the readout more than they are the road. It's a bigger distraction than a text messaging sixteen year old in Grandma's old beater Volvo. They're the most inattentive drivers out there. I'd rather be caught in a sea of " lane priveleged" Mercedes owners than be in traffic with one damned Prius. BTW: I saw a Prius the other day with some really nice expensive custom wheels and tires on it. It didn't improve the looks of the ugly little freakmobile one bit. That alone is proof, Prius drivers are idiots.
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 07:48 AM   #56
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

If riding in California, it's also imortant to avoid any vehicle sporting chrome plated 1860's stagecoach wheels. These vehicle owners would rather spend their money on ghetto bling-bling instead of important things, such as liability insurance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg @@!!.JPG (32.3 KB, 2 views)
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 06:30 AM   #57
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I just assume that they're all bad drivers and ride accordingly. I find it pretty useful to figure out what kind of bad drive they are:
* inattentive: barely concentrating on what they're doing
* rushing: willing to make dangerous manoeuvres just to shave 30 second of their journey time (these peeps are usually pretty easy to spot).
* low skill: they struggle to safely control their car (think, very old people driving below the speed limit)
* "street racers": I'd actually prefer to meet one of these drivers on the road than the other 3 types above, but still; they count as bad drivers to me, because they shouldn't be pushing the limits of such a dangerous machine on public roads.

The inattentive drivers are my least favourite. They annoy the **** out of me. Like it's no big deal that they're putting people's lives at risk. I figure they're either stupid or sit somewhere on the sociopath scale.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #58
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old March 8th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #59
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

The ones who feel the need to "prove" something to a rider lol. I was in the middle lane, at an acceptable speed, and some dude passes me on the right DESPITE there being a car in the right lane going slower than me. There isn't much space at all. But he passes me on the right and then gets in front of me. Caught a smell from behind and dude was definitely driving high. Gave him the insta-bird.

Old March 8th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #60
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I just assume that they're all bad drivers and ride accordingly. I find it pretty useful to figure out what kind of bad drive they are:
* inattentive: barely concentrating on what they're doing
* rushing: willing to make dangerous manoeuvres just to shave 30 second of their journey time (these peeps are usually pretty easy to spot).
* low skill: they struggle to safely control their car (think, very old people driving below the speed limit)
* "street racers": I'd actually prefer to meet one of these drivers on the road than the other 3 types above, but still; they count as bad drivers to me, because they shouldn't be pushing the limits of such a dangerous machine on public roads.

The inattentive drivers are my least favourite. They annoy the **** out of me. Like it's no big deal that they're putting people's lives at risk. I figure they're either stupid or sit somewhere on the sociopath scale.
Amen brah, I made this thread with inattentive drivers in mind. Especially those who leave their blinkers on. It's like really dude? You don't notice the light that keeps blinking at you on your dash?

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #61
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1956 View Post
If riding in California, it's also imortant to avoid any vehicle sporting chrome plated 1860's stagecoach wheels...........
The Floridian version of those is harmless.
They are for show-off or drive-by shooting, so they move slowly on the right lanes.

If you are not a buyer or if the music doesn't knock you off your Ninjette, there is nothing else to worry about.

Black Acuras on the other hand ..............
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #62
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Amen, Brother Kevin (about Prius drivers: they are the worst!).

Also, nice pic of the Chevy with the outrageous wheels!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2014, 01:51 AM   #63
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
The Floridian version of those is harmless.
They are for show-off or drive-by shooting, so they move slowly on the right lanes.

If you are not a buyer or if the music doesn't knock you off your Ninjette, there is nothing else to worry about.

Black Acuras on the other hand ..............
Do you really get drive by shootings?

What do Black Acuras signify? I've never seen one on the road over here.

Old March 9th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #64
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Quote:

Head in butt Drivers as stated by Motofool. It's on the first page of the thread. Prius drivers are like this too apparently. Love the information I get from threads like this. Little tidbits you don't find anywhere else lol

Old March 9th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #65
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:

Unfortunately, we have shootings and drive by shootings way too frequently in bad areas all over the South Florida; bad neighborhoods of Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach are notorious for those.

I have had nothing but horrible experiences from drivers of Acura cars, especially black cars.
They tend to be super fast, tailgaters and aggressive.
I don't remember having difficulties with any Prius.

Of course, not all bad drivers roll in Acuras, but I become ultra-defensive each time I see one of those, ........... or a new Mercedes or a shinny BMW or an arrogant Hummer, ......... and they seldom disappoint me.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #66
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I like the cars with MSF/USDOT/NHTSA magnets on back. "LOOK OUT for motorcycles"

(My whole family rocks them ever since I started riding)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.3 KB, 1 views)
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #67
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Over here you see these stickers on cars a lot:

Always nice to see.

Old March 29th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #68
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Name: Alex P. Keaton

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Yeah whenever I see a watch out for motorcycles sign on my bike I point to it and honk, to the point of being an a**.
I've gotten in the habit of (and was taught) to only look at the wheels on a car that could pull out on you. The wheels don't lie. I think you just have to have that kind of mind that is "always scanning"..
justinocean is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 30th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #69
Joshua95
ninjette.org member

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Bunch of peoples can't drive right especially old people and young teenagers ( they are a$$wholes ) showing off their luxury car and such.

- I don't like people who don't use signals when turning or switching lane
- People use turn signals but never turn
- High beam never off
- Driver on the phone
- Tailgaters
- People who drive lower than the appropriate speed limit
Joshua95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2014, 11:48 PM   #70
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

I yell at my roommate everytime i'm in the passenger seat for this one:

If there is a yield within 500ft of any intersection, it becomes a stopsign. Even if he has the right of way and the other direction has the yield, he will stop. Every. ****ing. Time.

"It's a yield! Not a surrender!"

When you have the right of way, take that ****.

Old April 13th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #71
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Name: Alex P. Keaton

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
I yell at my roommate everytime i'm in the passenger seat for this one:

If there is a yield within 500ft of any intersection, it becomes a stopsign. Even if he has the right of way and the other direction has the yield, he will stop. Every. ****ing. Time.

"It's a yield! Not a surrender!"

When you have the right of way, take that ****.
Oh you should see how people here handle roundabouts. They don't. It's ****ing retarded. They stop.
justinocean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #72
redbike2
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250

get home earlier on fridays to avoid driving from happy hour through bar close time on fridays

this avoids the friday after-work oui candidates.
redbike2 is offline   Reply With Quote