ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

View Poll Results: Which new helmet would you buy?
Shoei GT Air 11 28.95%
Arai RX-Q 11 28.95%
AGV Grid 2 5.26%
Bell RS-1 14 36.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #41
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dino

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki EX250(Bright Yellow)

@Rayden: I personally would pick the Arai RX-Q because I know that it fits my head. The helmets that you mention are of different shapes.

I wish they released this one in the US. Arai RX-Q Gothic:

Example: The Arai RX-Q is slightly round (SR), the AGV Grid is more of a neutral (N) shape & the Shoei GT Air/Bell RS-1 have a slightly narrow (SN) shape.

Even though you may fit a certain size (let's just say medium), all these helmets in a medium may not feel the same on your head...

You definitely wanna go and try several helmets on and see which one fits best. The helmet should be snug on your head! If you can take your helmet on/off easily, then it is too big for you! If you have it on properly and you can move the helmet around on your head, it is too big for you! Imagine riding with a bigger helmet and the wind blows it in a different direction (all bad because then your vision is impaired)!

The helmet should fit snug (chipmunk cheeks) but you shouldn't feel pressure on the crown of your head. It should however rest on all sides of your head. Plus, it will eventually break-in...

Also try it on and leave it on for about 15 minutes (most retail places will allow to do this) and see if you were comfortable with that helmet.

Color, style, weight, etc... will also be factors in choosing a helmet.

Here is a link for helmet shapes:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm

Go window shopping... try a hundred different helmets on! Good luck in your search for a lid!
deeno415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #42
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dino

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki EX250(Bright Yellow)

I currently have a Sparx S-07 helmet that share one of the features I liked on the Arai RX-Q. It has the little vents at the top of the windscreen... I wish the air flow through the helmet was better though (I imagine the Arai has better air flow)! The Arai RX-Q liner is much more comfortable too (it better be, it costs anywhere between $500-650 dollars)! LoL!

Plus, the Sparx S-07 had Bruce Lee on it (I'm a HUGE martial arts enthusiast)! And it weighs 7/8th's of an ounce less than the Arai...

deeno415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #43
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden View Post
<rant> Helmets are expensive. I don't have the money to buy a bunch of nice ones that FIT and then find out which one is really the best. Of course the fact that they FIT is most important, but they can be very different, and my point of the thread was to highlight the pros and cons of some of those differences. For example, Arai helmets are shaped more to a human head. They claim this has benefits, but how will I know until AFTER I buy it, and ride with it for awhile. Shoei's are popular in my area, but I don't personally know why when some of the other companies seem to outshine them. Thus, I came here looking for people who own these helmets, which of course fit them, and what their experiences, pros, cons, gripes etc. I realize before I even make this thread that it has to fit me, or it is no good. </rant>
Arai are shaped more to a human head, that's a great marketing pitch, what are the other brands shaped to?
A pig's head?

Fit is the first, second and last thing that will decide which lid you should buy.

Other features can be worked around.
Noisy - earplugs
Fogs - pinlock /fogcity/catcrap

Having said that Arai are known for being noisy, they can be adjusted to fit most people by a well equipped shop with different sized cheek pads ect. Well regarded if you go scudding down the road I find them quite uncomfortable.

Shoei are reportedly quieter, offer a similar level of protection, fit & finish & seem to fit me better.

Schuberth are reportedly the quietest around, again offer very good protection in an off.

I don't know much about AGV or Bell helmets
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #44
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

As many have said, it all depends on what fits you best....

I recently upgraded from my AGV K3, which was nice but not the perfect shape for me (got to big when it broke in). I must have spent around 20 lunch hours and some time on weekends in various shops with helmets on for 30 minutes each to see what fits.

One word of advice, don't try on the Schuberth SR1 helmet. Unfortunately for me I did.....and of course that expensive f*&^er has to be the one that fits me like a glove . Don't get me wrong, it's an absolutely awesome helmet (after about 1000 miles break in) and the ventilation alone is worth the price of admission riding in the high 90s, but I sure would have preferred a little less impact on the wallet.

Good luck!
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #45
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

There's no debate. Always an Arai!

Seriously, if you find a good quality helmet that fits you PERFECTLY, end your search and never buy anything else. Money should be no object (but look for deals). I can literally wear my Arai all day with absolutely no discomfort.

Theoretically, if the Shoei fits you better, than get the Shoei, but IMHO the chances will probably be better that you'll find a perfect fit with an Arai (with the different head shape options and extra check pad sizes, etc.).

Bottom line = Again, whatever fits best (Arai).
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #46
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post

Having said that Arai are known for being noisy...
Probably due to the pod designs on the side. According to Arai, this design is with safety in mind.

Here's their explanation: http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=130

Old August 7th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #47
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Probably due to the pod designs on the side. According to Arai, this design is with safety in mind.

Here's their explanation: http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=130
Nothing to do with selling extra side pods when they break.

It's the most obnoxious design to try to swap visors I've ever seen, even the staff at the local Arai centre curse them & say that they still feel like it's about to break
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #48
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Nothing to do with selling extra side pods when they break.

It's the most obnoxious design to try to swap visors I've ever seen, even the staff at the local Arai centre curse them & say that they still feel like it's about to break
I seriously doubt it. I've replaced one of my pods, but only after daily removing visors for over 4 years, as well as the pod mount itself after 5 years (but it was my own damn fault). Keep in mind the general consensus in the industry is that helmets should be replaced every 3 years (personally I say you can get a few more years if you're nice to your things).

The cost of the parts were really quite reasonable. This brings up another point. Rather than dropping another $500-700 on a new helmet if an Arai part breaks, you can spend just a few bucks for a replacement part. IIRC, almost everything outside of the shell can be replaced. I know cheap helmet makers don't do this, and don't know if Shoei does, but would hope so.

It took me a few times to learn how to change the visors smoothly, but one youtube video had me changing visors in about 2 seconds. The first couple times are a little stiff, but it breaks in pretty quickly. Arai also gives you a little bottle of silicone lubricant to keep the rubber parts supple.

Old August 7th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #49
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

If you consider your riding position( semi upright/ standard) I would go with the Arai Defiant, it's basically an RX-Q designed for long rides on an upright position, aerodynamically and and ventilation-wise, this helmet makes more sense. If you plan to transition from the semi upright position of the ninjette to a more aggressive position of a super sport, then The RX-Q is the one you want. Also consider the HJC RPHA 10, it is a great helmet and it can go either way.

Arai Defiant:
http://www.araiamericas.com/default....s/moto/defiant

HJC RPHA 10:
http://hjchelmets.com/hjca/rpha10_lorenzo
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #50
Rayden
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeno415 View Post
@Rayden:
Here is a link for helmet shapes:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm

Go window shopping... try a hundred different helmets on! Good luck in your search for a lid!
Wow nice link! I couldn't do it last weekend, but I am going to try and do it this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMagnum View Post
As many have said, it all depends on what fits you best....

I recently upgraded from my AGV K3, which was nice but not the perfect shape for me (got to big when it broke in). I must have spent around 20 lunch hours and some time on weekends in various shops with helmets on for 30 minutes each to see what fits.

Good luck!
Thanks, I'll have to give them and extended try. I didn't realize most shops will let you wear them for that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
There's no debate. Always an Arai!

Seriously, if you find a good quality helmet that fits you PERFECTLY, end your search and never buy anything else. Money should be no object (but look for deals). I can literally wear my Arai all day with absolutely no discomfort.

Theoretically, if the Shoei fits you better, than get the Shoei, but IMHO the chances will probably be better that you'll find a perfect fit with an Arai (with the different head shape options and extra check pad sizes, etc.).

Bottom line = Again, whatever fits best (Arai).
Also, thank you for your advice. I really want to go try on an Arai helmet now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
If you consider your riding position( semi upright/ standard) I would go with the Arai Defiant, it's basically an RX-Q designed for long rides on an upright position, aerodynamically and and ventilation-wise, this helmet makes more sense. If you plan to transition from the semi upright position of the ninjette to a more aggressive position of a super sport, then The RX-Q is the one you want. Also consider the HJC RPHA 10, it is a great helmet and it can go either way.

Arai Defiant:
http://www.araiamericas.com/default....s/moto/defiant

HJC RPHA 10:
http://hjchelmets.com/hjca/rpha10_lorenzo
Whenever I am on the highway I tend to find myself tucking in, simply because the position can be more comfortable, and cuts down on wind blowing into your chest. I also do want to get into track (part of the reason for getting a safer helmet) so I would be riding like that there as well. I will check out the HJC helmet too, thanks for the tip

@Everyone; I really appreciate all your advice, and perspectives. Thank you.
Rayden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #51
hexstylee
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 636, 2011 250R

i tired all of these, i actually have the RS-1 and to my surprise the best fit for me was actually the Rpha-10 it fit like a glove.
hexstylee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #52
jnninja250r
Qtr Ltr

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhap2009 View Post
The scorpion helmets are very comfortable to me, very affordable, and the ever clear anti fog shields work great.
I've used a Scorpion exo-1000 since I started riding. Out of everything the shop had the day I was buying gear for my MSF class, it was best fitting. I liked it so much, that I bought a couple more when they were on clearance to make way for the exo-1100. I'm pleased with their service as well. My oldest helmet was out of warranty, and the forehead vent broke off. I called them up to see if I could buy one, and they sent one to me for free.

As to the ones mentioned above, I don't have any first hand experience, so I'll only repeat what others have said. Try them on and get the one that fits your head the best.
jnninja250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #53
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Art...stHelmets.html

this was interesting to read. The lower the G's that the helmet recorded the less chance of suffering severe brain injury. Just wish they could have tested Bell and Shoei. But it was good to see that my Fulmer $179.00 helmet tested way better than the scorpion, which I was about to get. Some others that are supposedly Snell approved tested way worse than the cheap ass pep boys helmet. Just goes to show that more expensive it is, doesn't mean better quality. I think I will stick with my Fulmer then.
They didn't test snell2010 cert helmets.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #54
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Quote:
I have been reading up on these and like everything I have read about them, including the LED's on the back, which can be wirelessly connected to your brake lights. The 8 vents is key too, here in Texas the 2 vents on my Fulmer just isn't cutting it. Plus the price is right. I believe I will be giving a Gmax a try.
good choice, i have had mine for 4 or 5 years, only change i would have made is that i wish i didnt make the mistake of ordering a matte helmet so it didnt have a protective gloss.

Old August 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #55
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
i wish i didnt make the mistake of ordering a matte helmet so it didnt have a protective gloss.
How come?

Btw have anyone here tried the Bell Revolver modular? Any take on that?

Old August 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #56
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroblade View Post
How come?

Btw have have anyone here tried the Bell Revolver modular? Any take on that?
first off, LOVE THE GIR! i have done graffiti for years and i love painting him

they are about 2 feet x 1 foot.

the mat it just like a vinyl so its scratched really easy. also gets discolored while wet, goes back when dry. just didnt see the words matte before i pressed buy now.

Old August 8th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #57
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Quote:
good choice, i have had mine for 4 or 5 years, only change i would have made is that i wish i didnt make the mistake of ordering a matte helmet so it didnt have a protective gloss.
Sucks to hear that cause I really like that matte black one
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #58
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Sucks to hear that cause I really like that matte black one
my matte helmet is still holding up after 4-5 years of constant use. just wish i picked gloss. if you like the matte, go for it. worst case scenario you can paint it.

Old August 8th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #59
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

Quote:
How come?

Btw have anyone here tried the Bell Revolver modular? Any take on that?
The drop-down visor is great. Airflow is good. With the stock 250 windscreen and my height (5'11") in an untucked position, all the airflow goes right into the bottom of the helmet and it's LOUD. I wear 32db earplugs on every ride.

If I ever get the ZG sport-touring windscreen I keep looking at, the noise will probably vanish or be vastly reduced. In a tuck it's OK, but I don't prefer to ride that way. If you're more than an inch taller or shorter than I am, it'd probably be fine too.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #60
aeroblade
Doh!

Quote:
first off, LOVE THE GIR! i have done graffiti for years and i love painting him

they are about 2 feet x 1 foot.

the mat it just like a vinyl so its scratched really easy. also gets discolored while wet, goes back when dry. just didnt see the words matte before i pressed buy now.
Wow, really sick graffiti work! I love him too. I found this little dude dancing on some website and just had to have him. Ever considered doing GIR helmets?

As for the discoloration, my previous helmet had it too and idiotically enough I tried painting over it with regular matte black and it kinda reacted badly with the rubberized matte coating on the helmet. Learned my lesson lol. Still I love how it looks minus the drawbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
The drop-down visor is great. Airflow is good. With the stock 250 windscreen and my height (5'11") in an untucked position, all the airflow goes right into the bottom of the helmet and it's LOUD. I wear 32db earplugs on every ride.

If I ever get the ZG sport-touring windscreen I keep looking at, the noise will probably vanish or be vastly reduced. In a tuck it's OK, but I don't prefer to ride that way. If you're more than an inch taller or shorter than I am, it'd probably be fine too.
Ah thanks mate, I've been having a tough time with the full face as I have to keep taking it off when ever I enter a shop or an ATM. I end up having to carry it around since I can't leave it on my bike else somebody might steal it like my last one. My daily commuting speeds are always under 45mph so I don't think the noise would be much of a problem for me even more so since I figure it couldn't be any worse than the ls2s I have now.

Old August 10th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #61
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Wow, really sick graffiti work! I love him too. I found this little dude dancing on some website and just had to have him. Ever considered doing GIR helmets?

i have painted bikes and some other stuff, if i ever did a gir helmet i would paint it like his head but i would have to a get vinyl for the vizor that would let you see through one side and be green and have his eyes on the other.

Old August 10th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #62
aeroblade
Doh!

Quote:
i have painted bikes and some other stuff, if i ever did a gir helmet i would paint it like his head but i would have to a get vinyl for the vizor that would let you see through one side and be green and have his eyes on the other.
Gir head helmet with a tongue sticking out, that would be hilarious. You should do that and post up pictures of it as well.

Old August 10th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #63
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Gir head helmet with a tongue sticking out, that would be hilarious. You should do that and post up pictures of it as well.
might do that to one of my daughters helmets. she loves gir

Old August 11th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #64
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

As everyone said...go for the one that fits. If you're going for longer and longer rides, you have to start worrying about hotspots and fatigue.

My cheap Icon helmet served me well for a year but now that the cheekpads are showing wear, I get a really bad spot on my forehead that just aches after a while. It can actually get distracting.

I tried on many Shoei but they didn't fit my head so I bought an Arai as a replacement.

You could nickle and dime about features and noise and **** but in the end you should really be wearing earplugs on long/fast rides anyhow. Don't settle for one with an internal visor because it's convenient. Comfort is king.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #65
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I did not answer the poll because the response would be meaningless. All are good helmets. Buy what fits. What fits me is not what will fit you.

End of story.

Order of importance:
  1. Fit
  2. Fit
  3. Quality
  4. Fit
  5. Safety rating
  6. Fit
  7. Features
  8. Fit
  9. Appearance (graphics, design)
  10. Fit
Very true. It can be the best helmet in the world, but if it doesn't fit right, it will get left home and wont do you any good. That's why I say not to buy helmets online because the odds of them fitting correctly are slim. Go to the local store and try them all on until you find one that is comfortable. After you find some with a good fit, then go back and select for other criteria.

Old August 11th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #66
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I rule out all the sub $200 helmets and get the one that fits me best, to date I havn't tried on a helmet that doesn't fit me fine, so fit fit fit fit fit blah blah blah blah blah you'll find a couple that don't fit great, but 90% will fit you fine.

I used to use a Caberg Duke and now I use a Schuberth C3

At the end of the day, my brain is worth more to me than a couple hundred dollars, better brands build better helmets, I buy the most expensive helmet I can buy that fits the best and gets the best ratings.

Schuberth have very rigorous tests and do a lot of in house testing and inovation, they also make all varieties of helmets for everything from construction to bikes, so they have the know how, that's why I went schuberth, if it's good enough for german engineers, bikers and police, it's good enough for me.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #67
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
to date I havn't tried on a helmet that doesn't fit me fine, so fit fit fit fit fit blah blah blah blah blah you'll find a couple that don't fit great, but 90% will fit you fine.
You probably have a neutral enough head shape that puts you in a position with more helmet choices. Others may fall in more extreme ends of the spectrum from narrow to round. Myself, I am narrow to intermediate oval and there are plenty of neutral to round oval helmets that have too much space on the sides and/or give me pressure points front and back. If I took a blah blah approach to helmet fit, I'd probably end up with blah blah helmet.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #68
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I've noticed that when I try them on in the store, the more expensive they are, the better they fit. I think its because the cheap chinese helmets (the ones under $100) just don't put the R&D into making the helmet.

That said, I really like the 707 helmets, but they don't seem to have a modular one. I don't know where they're made, but they're good ones.

I've also heard more than a few people tell me that they wont wear any helmet that isn't snell rated.

Old August 21st, 2013, 12:22 PM   #69
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

OP, have you gotten to try any on yet?

I'm curious because I'm also using a Bilt Fusion right now and REALLY like the way it fits my head. Seems to be a slightly smaller shell with a more pointed chin. Plus it fits snug on my face and whole head, as opposed to having hot spots on the crown of my head and nothing toughing my cheeks. I like the tight fit.

Since you are in a Fusion now, I'm curious which upgrade fits you the best. You are my testing gopher for now. LOL

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #70
jokesonyou24
ninjette.org foodie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): None...Yet

just my two cents, but I'm looking into a GMAX modular. not sure the model off the top of my head(no pun intended)