ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 17th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Are any of you going deaf ?

This site has an incredible spectrum of people who seem willing to share their knoweldge. This site is friendly. So, I begin here:
Does anybody here know how to build a device that will pick up and amplify only selected frequencies of sound. If so, PM me and i'll go into detail.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #2
kkim

they already make these devices... they're called hearing aids.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #3
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

You can get the Loud N Clear and turn into an eavesdropping, old lady like on the commercials. http://www.asseenontvguys.com/loud-n-clear.aspx

Old June 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

The ol' point 'n hear.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #5
eddiekay

Got a Loud N Clear...something must be wrong with it...all I can hear is people cussing about the old guy with the Loud N Clear stuck in his ear.

Old June 17th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #6
kkim

Have you ever had your hearing tested? I think Costco does it for free to try to sell you a hearing aid.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #7
eddiekay

Oh yeah KK....I have like 28% loss in 1, 24% in the other....where I'm going with this is figuring out how to prototype an idea i have.Can't ask the hearing guys becuause they're onto you in a minute and they're giving up nothing....the electronics guys are too deep into tech jargon for me to understand but somewhere, there's somebody hobbying arounding building lil' stuff. Largely, the DIY, mechanical age is over and my idea is something that will be soldered and screwed together using existing parts but as said, the radio and hi-fi builders,the electro geeks of the 60's and 70's are largely gone. Back in HS, I coulda had my pal Lenny put this together in a weekend. Simple idea, old technology, dirt cheap parts I imagine but i want to see if it works before i throw money at it. Long story short....estimated US poulation that needs hearing aids- 36mm. Population who can afford them- 12mm....price needed to get US Govt to cover one-
$75 - $120 and if my simple approach works....these could be mfg in USA and retail for under $50. But, I need to build one first to find out if my thinking is all wrong.
KK...remember when prosthetic legs cost thousands of dollars and did nothing but clump along the floor ? Now, you've seen the spring legs developed years ago by I don't know who ? $2 worth of spring steel and affordable by anybody who needs one if it were not for the fact that they're controlled by a patent. I'm not looking into this a s a way to make money but I have a good idea....I gotta see if it works. Am getting in touch with Helen Keller School out here in NY to pick their brains too. Ask a techie a question and you'll get all the reasons something can't be done but ask somebody who knows very little and you'll find new info...IMHO, of course.

Old June 17th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #8
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Let me know if you find anything about tinnitus.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
This site has an incredible spectrum of people who seem willing to share their knoweldge. This site is friendly. So, I begin here:
Does anybody here know how to build a device that will pick up and amplify only selected frequencies of sound. If so, PM me and i'll go into detail.
You'd need a electronic cross-over for that, like in car stereos. Those limit the frequencies going to the speakers..they're like equalizer but totally remove the frequencies instead of attenuating it.