ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 3rd, 2011, 09:39 AM   #1
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Valve clearance check confusion...

Ok so I have everything taken apart and am a little confused at the the actual lash check part.. I've gotten it timed and it says there should be 4 exhaust and intake valves, and theres even numbers that say 1,2,3,4 but theres only two sets of cams and lifters where I slide the feeler gauge, 1 for the exhaust 1 for the intake. So how can I measure 4 clearances for each?
Also is there any trick to getting to the ones on the right side of the engine? Its a pretty tight fit and I can't really see in there. And should the feeler gauge blade slide completely in between the cam and lifter to the point where it comes out the other side or should just go in a little bit and then stop? I hope you guys understand what I'm saying...Its a bit confusing without pictures but if you've done this before you should have an idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks

Also wanted to point out that I can't seem to find the 2|T...in the little window. Theres this paint mark...and I'm assuming thats what I'm looking for because thats where the paint marks on the two sprockets line up. I managed to measure the exhaust valve closest to me, its at .152mm. On the camshaft cover it has the numbers 2 and 4 on the left side, so which one is it?? When I measure the intake do I keep the engine in the same position or crank it further? I think I read something about having to go 180 or something like that...Sorry for the noob questions...

Edit: Ok guys I got it....with the help of another 250 rider.

Last futzed with by LoneRonin; June 3rd, 2011 at 01:57 PM.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Any way to put in the few tips that you received here in case anyone else stumbles on this?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM   #3
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

Shine a flashlight underneath the cam cover and when you turn thr engine, you can see the cams turn. Cams are the drop shaped brown things. When they are facing away from each other the most, you check the clearance by placing the thickness gauges between the cams and the shim bucket. The shim bucket is the round thing and its under where the shims sit. These you switch out for different ones depending on how your clearance is like.

My 2T doesnt line up. I have to shine a light on the right leg side of the engine and physically feel when the cam lobes are facing away from eachother.

If you're in Mississauga, I can come give you a hand. I just checked mine a few days back.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:04 PM   #4
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
Shine a flashlight underneath the cam cover and when you turn thr engine, you can see the cams turn. Cams are the drop shaped brown things. When they are facing away from each other the most, you check the clearance by placing the thickness gauges between the cams and the shim bucket. The shim bucket is the round thing and its under where the shims sit. These you switch out for different ones depending on how your clearance is like.

My 2T doesnt line up. I have to shine a light on the right leg side of the engine and physically feel when the cam lobes are facing away from eachother.
If you're in Mississauga, I can come give you a hand. I just checked mine a few days back.
hey..I think I had come by your place a little while back. I was on the red one with the clip-ons. I managed to measure the lash now I just have to open the camshaft and order the shims I'll be needing.
After 32k km the intakes are all still within spec but the exhaust are all out of spec...If I have any difficulties with that I'll let you know.

For anyone else who does this just make sure after you measure one set of exhaust valves (2,4) you crank it 180 degrees to measure the other two (1,3)...and in the tight spots since you can barely see you gotta really feel with the feeler gauge to slide it in. Other than that just read everything slowly and a few times over. I was just getting frustrated and then things started going over my head.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote