ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:43 PM   #1
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

trading up?? dont wanna get flamed??? Read me.

After reading and participating in a few threads in the Ex ninja lair.
Ill give some advice.
If you feel you need a bike that has more power. By all means buy one. THIS IS AMERICA.
Dont want to get flamed for it??
Take this advice.
DO NOT give the excuse that the 250 cant be safely ridden on the highway as its too underpowered.
Mostly everyone here owns a 250 and knows that the above statement is complete BS. As 250 riders who ride on the highway we know this is just a statement used by squids who want to ride like a squids. Its a way of justifying you squiddyness.

Secondly
Dont make the statement that you may need the power of a bigger bike to "get yourself out of trouble".
We all know this is not only untrue but just another justification used by squids.

The seasoned riders here KNOW that this is a very IDIOTIC statement.
If you dont know this to be true. Your soon to join the ranks of the squids.

Sorry, Rant over.

PS. Please dont reply to this if you think Im wrong as you will be burnt to a crisp.

I posted this here ALEX as I thought would get a little more exposure.
If you want to move it go ahead.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:55 PM   #2
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I agree. That is very squidy to say that. If you really don't want to get flamed get a new bike and keep the Ninjette and keep using it

Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I got a 600 but I didn't trade, I kept the 250. So why did I get a 600? Because I effing wanted one that's why! Lol
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM   #4
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Who cares? People can give whatever excuses they want. It's stupid to tell someone that their reasoning is BS.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
DO NOT give the excuse that the 250 cant be safely ridden on the highway as its too underpowered.
Mostly everyone here owns a 250 and knows that the above statement is complete BS. As 250 riders who ride on the highway we know this is just a statement used by squids who want to ride like a squids. Its a way of justifying you squiddyness.
I respectfully disagree, power is a tool and using it responsibly can be a good thing. Misusing power is just as bad as misusing the brakes. Having more tools requires more skills to use them but I dont hear you arguing against brakes and clearly squids do endos and flip bikes so by your logic front brakes are dangerous.

Quote:
Secondly
Dont make the statement that you may need the power of a bigger bike to "get yourself out of trouble".
We all know this is not only untrue but just another justification used by squids.
Then dont imply that a bigger bike will get you in trouble. Ignorance and abuse/misuse maybe but that holds true to anything.

Quote:
PS. Please dont reply to this if you think Im wrong as you will be burnt to a crisp.
clearly you refuse to listen to any different opinions, if all you want is people to agree blindly without knowing both sides of the argument maybe you should have discussions with the mirror.

(as a personal note, I do agree with some of your ideas but I think we all need to be given all angles of a argument. so please read this with a friendly and competitive tone)
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
After reading and participating in a few threads in the Ex ninja lair.
Ill give some advice.
If you feel you need a bike that has more power. By all means buy one. THIS IS AMERICA.
Take this advice.

Secondly

The seasoned riders here KNOW that this is a very IDIOTIC statement.
If you dont know this to be true. Your soon to join the ranks of the squids.

Sorry, Rant over.

I posted this here ALEX as I thought would get a little more exposure.
If you want to move it go ahead.
I've wanted to say this for a while, just never did so

Kind of follows the same lines of all the gear flames that are going on. If you don't want to wear gear, that's fine, it's your choice and no one is arguing that you can choose to do whatever you want. But don't try to justify your decision by saying you're doing it because it's safer or by stating false "facts" to back up your decision. Just man up and say it's because you don't want to.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just thought the topic followed the same train of logic.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post
I respectfully disagree, power is a tool and using it responsibly can be a good thing. Misusing power is just as bad as misusing the brakes. Having more tools requires more skills to use them but I dont hear you arguing against brakes and clearly squids do endos and flip bikes so by your logic front brakes are dangerous.
Where did he say that the power of a bigger bike was a bad thing? He was merely stating that the 250 has plenty of power to handle the highway and using this as a justification for buying a bigger bike isn't completely founded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post
Then dont imply that a bigger bike will get you in trouble. Ignorance and abuse/misuse maybe but that holds true to anything.
I don' think this is what is usually implied (I could be wrong). What is implied is that a bigger bike is less forgiving to mistakes (which as a result could get you into trouble). Accidentally grabbing way too much throttle on a 250 has a significantly smaller chance of ending as badly as it would on a 600+
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:44 PM   #8
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Any reason you can possibly come up with for needing a bigger bike than the 250 other than the sole factor of YOU WANT ONE is 100 percent BS. Why would you possibly need to go 100+ mph on the street other than filling your need for speed...There is no reason at all for it. **** happens a lot quicker when your going faster and as most people will tell u its easy to go 100+mph in a straight line but what you need to think of is what would you do when you need to make a sudden decision and you dont have enough riding experience to act purly on instinct and u panic becuz your going to fast

Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Well, I personally use acceleration as a criteria for whether or not a bike is right for me, as opposed to outright power for reaching a high top speed. I couldn't care less if a bike I am using primarily as a street bike, or car for that matter, had a top speed of 100. That is more than reasonable for even the safest roads with the least amount of traffic and great sight lines.

Acceleration, particularly at lower speeds, is actually a pretty nice thing to have. Granted, I have to be in first or second to benefit from said power on my ZX, but I have the option if I am riding a road with light traffic and good sight lines a bit more aggressively. I didn't have the option on the 250.

Combine my 270 lbs of weight, 1,000 ft plus elevation (not crazy but still affects engine power) and plenty of uphill sections of road, and I fast became irritated with the lack of power of a Ninja 250.

Flame away.

Last futzed with by Xoulrath; August 2nd, 2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Edited two sentences to make them more specific.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

If they say it can't be ridden safely on the highway, it's probably because it's true, for them.

Everyone's 250 is different, people are built differently, everyone rides differently.

Just be responsible whether it be on a 250, 600, or 1000.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:05 PM   #11
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I dont care to argue any of my points here.

The whole point of this post is to avoid the argument in the first place.

If you find yourself in oposition to my statement.
You WILL get called or thought of as a SQUID when you use these 2 points as a justification for more power.
ITS A FACT.

LESSON HERE???
buy a new bike and enjoy.
Dont use the above as your reason for the new ride.

CUT AND DRY...............THAT IS ALL.

Lock it up ALEX if you please. OR let it roll your call.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:12 PM   #12
almost40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Who cares? People can give whatever excuses they want. It's stupid to tell someone that their reasoning is BS.
Just trying to restore a little civility with my personal observations of other posts.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM   #13
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Then why bother to post at all, Kevin? This simply brings the entire matter to the attention of the forum.

By the way, do me a favor and go ride a TU250, up a hill, oh, and be sure to strap on enough weight to you so that you are 270. Then tell me you don't need more power as you struggle to maintain 60, after downshifting to fourth and beating the hell out of the engine as cars fly by you at 70+.

Yeah, this is a Ninjette forum, but there are plenty of people out there who make the exact same arguments about the other 250s on the market and I can assure you, for some people, it is valid.

I'm a squiggly squid.

Good god this thread is fail.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM   #14
almost40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
I got a 600 but I didn't trade, I kept the 250. So why did I get a 600? Because I effing wanted one that's why! Lol

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:16 PM   #15
almost40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
Then why bother to post at all, Kevin? This simply brings the entire matter to the attention of the forum.

By the way, do me a favor and go ride a TU250, up a hill, oh, and be sure to strap on enough weight to you so that you are 270. Then tell me you don't need more power as you struggle to maintain 60, after downshifting to fourth and beating the hell out of the engine as cars fly by you at 70+.

Yeah, this is a Ninjette forum, but there are plenty of people out there who make the exact same arguments about the other 250s on the market and I can assure you, for some people, it is valid.

I'm a squiggly squid.

Good god this thread is fail.
why???
I have flamed over the subject as have many others. The majority in fact. Thought I would try to eliminate some nastyness.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM   #16
almost40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
I've wanted to say this for a while, just never did so

Kind of follows the same lines of all the gear flames that are going on. If you don't want to wear gear, that's fine, it's your choice and no one is arguing that you can choose to do whatever you want. But don't try to justify your decision by saying you're doing it because it's safer or by stating false "facts" to back up your decision. Just man up and say it's because you don't want to.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just thought the topic followed the same train of logic.
Its all good

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM   #17
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

To the OP...

I agree that one doesn't need excuses for wanting a bigger bike. It is all about fun, and one should have no need to explain himself when it comes to having fun.

However you should never say never and you can't call blanket BS on people just like that. You may be very experienced, but you don't know everything, nor can you foresee everything...

Two weeks ago I was in a genuine emergency situation where the only way out was to accelerate, and Ninjette could not do it. I posted about it in the "suitability of supersports as street bikes" thread. In short, a demented cager, who was probably high on drugs, jumped the curb and started sverwing all over the highway, nearly hitting every car in his way and coming straight at me. It was not a run-of-the mill aggressive driver, but a maniac, barely in control of his vehicle, which by then had visible damage, dragging body panels, with sparks flying. The ONLY safe way out was to run by lane-splitting with cars ahead and putting as many cages as possible between me and the lunatic. I floored the throttle but, obviously, nothing happened. Luckily, the retard jumped into a different lane and zoomed ahead. He appeared set on catching up and running over someone, but then suddenly got off at the next exit.

It appears not many people even believed my story - well, I don't care. It happened on Belt Pkwy in Brooklyn at 7:30pm, about two weeks ago. I've been driving for nearly 15 yrs, and have seen a lot, but that night I felt totally helpless, watching in slow motion a beaten up SUV with a deranged driver barreling towards me, with no way out.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:27 PM   #18
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Any reason you can possibly come up with for needing a bigger bike than the 250 other than the sole factor of YOU WANT ONE is 100 percent BS.
Oh I don't know. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a sport bike. I don't really like the ergonomics of the ninja. I prefer to have a more tucked in position. I also don't like the position of the rear sets, even with my adjusters, they sit a bit high for me. Although I haven't ridden a 600, if they have better suspensions to keep the bike more stable, that would be another reason for me. Note: I'm not claiming the 250 lacks power. I just think that making a blanket statement like that is a little over the top.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:33 PM   #19
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

i ride the 250 for commuting and i take the 405 one of the busiest freeway in the nation...i regularly get up to 80 or even 90 if i need too and there is no problem keeping up with traffic...but what i enjoy most is splitting lanes and beating all the cars as they chug along at 15 mph during rush hour...it just puts a big grin on my face...

i ride the 250 more because it is so light and nimble and can get around traffic...the cbr is reserve for carving canyons...

the best solution is have more than one bike...
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:33 PM   #20
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I say, Good day sir.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i need a litrebike so i can look cool to squids...

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #22
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Oh I don't know. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a sport bike. I don't really like the ergonomics of the ninja. I prefer to have a more tucked in position. I also don't like the position of the rear sets, even with my adjusters, they sit a bit high for me. Although I haven't ridden a 600, if they have better suspensions to keep the bike more stable, that would be another reason for me. Note: I'm not claiming the 250 lacks power. I just think that making a blanket statement like that is a little over the top.
There u go u have valid reasons for not liking the ninja and would like to have a bigger bike my whole point was no one NEEDS to go faster than 100mph on a regular basis- example being Toly post. Personally the ninja is a stepping stone for me to gain some good riding experience so i do not kill myself on a bigger bike like a buddy of mine did starting on a 600 SS bike

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM   #23
almost40

Quote:
All good reasons that IMO will not get flamed.

See how easy it is.

Hell, I posted this to try to curb nastyness for some of the newer members who have a 250 and are already thinking of upgrading.

I dont care if you buy a new bike. Good for you. The point being that flames will fly if the above is use. I know......... I was holding the flamethrower at one point. Im almost to the point that I dont care about other peoples saftey anymore. Screw em if they think im wrong.

The place is on fire already. Call the fire department

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM   #24
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
There u go u have valid reasons for not liking the ninja and would like to have a bigger bike my whole point was no one NEEDS to go faster than 100mph on a regular basis- example being Toly post. Personally the ninja is a stepping stone for me to gain some good riding experience so i do not kill myself on a bigger bike like a buddy of mine did starting on a 600 SS bike
QFT. I rarely break 80mph ever. I commute 42mi/day and most of the time, I'm at or under the speed limit with all the traffic. Although I do lane split, I keep it within the speed limit as well. No sense in trying to get home an extra 2 minutes early by taking unnecessary risks.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM   #25
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

What Kevin meant to say was that, with the proper set of motorcycle riding skills, anyone can safely ride a Ninja 250R on the highway.
2011Ninja250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:47 PM   #26
CynicalC

Quote:
Just trying to restore a little civility with my personal observations of other posts.
When you type WORDS in all CAPS to EMPHASIZE, it gives the impression that you are YELLING, which is the opposite of restoring civility.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:49 PM   #27
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
QFT
QTF???

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:49 PM   #28
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Gas
---
Fire
2011Ninja250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM   #29
almost40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren13 View Post
Oh the hypocrisy.
Now Thats funny. He is Cynicalc though.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:54 PM   #30
CynicalC

Quote:
CUT AND DRY...............THAT IS ALL.

Lock it up ALEX if you please.
Translation: "I said what I wanted to and don't want to see anyone's opinions that are different from my own. Please close this thread and make it all go away."

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:54 PM   #31
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Good lord... The only argument that I have ever read that is as stupid as "it's not fast enough to ride safely on the highway" is "why does anyone need a bike that goes over 100 mph" whenever someone says they want a bigger bike.

I hate to be the one to ruin someone's perception of what's fun on a bike, but hauling ass in a straight line is fun. And just because a bike goes over 100 mph, doesn't mean you have to to get the use out of a larger motor. I rarely go any faster on my 650 than I ever did on my 250, but I do crack the throttle and get up to speed if conditions permit. And you know what? It's a lot more satisfying doing this on a mild 650 like an ER-6n than a high powered 250 like a Ninjette.

Now, my 250 was a terrific bike, but other than gas mileage and low price, there's nothing I did on it that isn't better on the ER-6n. There are things the 250 did better, for example items more touchable in a parking lot, but the bigger bike does this well enough.

All I'm adding here, is that the reason of "because I want a bigger bike" shouldn't automatically trigger the "you're wrong and evil"response that it so often does. If you get someone with a weeks experience on a 250 begging for permission to get on a super sport bike with 4 times more power than they can already handle safely, then say something. But quit blasting people just because the want a bigger bike than you have.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM   #32
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
, just rev it up and wanna . When you , they

So, ya hafta kinda and just .

ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:58 PM   #33
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Now that I think of it...I've hit a higher top speed on the 250 than I ever have on the 650. What's wrong with me?

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:02 PM   #34
almost40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Translation: "I said what I wanted to and don't want to see anyone's opinions that are different from my own. Please close this thread and make it all go away."
Not at all....an effort on my part to give ALEX the go ahead to put out the fire if he pleased. Theres already enough nastyness here that it is driving people away.
This wasnt posted to draw flames..........quite the opposite.

You know me CynicalC........what kind of BS is that??
Yeah........... I just called your opinion BS

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:07 PM   #35
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post
, just rev it up and wanna . When you , they

So, ya hafta kinda and just .

O_O... too many smileys to comprehend...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:13 PM   #36
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Tee hee,
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:17 PM   #37
Johnnyscoots
Over 40 Ninjette Owner

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki VN900C (Black), 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Red/Two Bros. Slip on, 41 Tooth Rear Sprocket)

Good thread. I have more than one bike, as many of my fellow Ninjetteers do. One is great for solo riding, the other has the sauce to pull two people, luggage, and such uphill with little drama. One is a 250 (Ninjette) and one is a 900 (Spock). I still get the Squiddies (hate to stereotype, but they tend to be on the shorter side, can't wear their hat straight, and seem to raid their daddy's drawers so they can wear his jeans around their ankles) asking me, "Why don't you get a REAL bike, Yo?" on those rare occasions when I need to take the Ninjette in for a fill up. I just show them the odo reading, the number of gallons it took, and ask them how much their Cavalier (festooned with an ill fitting wing, hood snorkel, and dubs) takes to fill and can it carve corners like the Ninja. Naturally, said Squiddle Dee Do's don't have a bike, have never ridden one, and seem to be unable to grasp the concept of proper grammar and punctuation. They also seem to forget that it's my choice. To each their own. I originally wanted the Ninjette when I traded up from my scooter, but gas was $4/gal, and all the small bikes were gone, so I ended up buying Spock (Vulcan 900). I bought Ninjette 'cause I wanted it. Although it put an extra dent into the finances, I can honestly say that it was one of my better purchases. Some day, sure thing I might add to the stable with a bigger sport/standard. Why? I want to. Variety is the spice of life, so said a wise person with a definite grasp on variety, spices, and life...but I'm sure the Ninjette and Spock will be there as aging parents to a growing household of 1, 2, 3, 4, or possibly 6 cylinder babies. Yes, I've seen the K1600GTL...me and my GF want one. We want 2 sidecases and a topcase. We want heated driver and pillion seats. We want iPod connections...we want 160 smooth revving horsepower. We just don't want car payments for a bike, so we're adding the proper accoutrements to Spock. Possibly, I foresee one of Kawi's 650's in the stable...or maybe a Triumph Bonnie? Why??? Because I just might want one. As Spock said to me, "Ride Long, and Prosper". BTW, anyone going to the Ephrata, PA rideout on Sunday? There is a small window where i might join up. I will try to make a Ninjette.org sign so y'alls can find me...or just look for a bald gent astride a red too fiddy.

Johnny

Last futzed with by Johnnyscoots; August 2nd, 2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Johnnyscoots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:27 PM   #38
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Rumor has it, you got on the back of a green and black liter bike
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:52 PM   #39
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Didn't we just have this thread before? Why are we starting all over again?

I love my pregen. I'm not going to trade it in. But a bigger bike could be more fun. See, I'm an acellaholic. Doing 0-60 in 6 seconds is starting to seem slow to me. Just the other day, a Corvette was able to keep up with me. Embarrassing.

A lot of people have made some good points for and against, but in the end, I'll probably keep my pregen.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:58 PM   #40
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

doesn't a liter bike make one's unit larger? no wait...

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.