ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #41
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I second getting Oakley frames. Very lightweight and the straight stems are perfect for inserting into the helmet.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #42
Renner
Ignoring Jiggles

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '06 Ninja 250R (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
fyi your prescription needs to be stable for at least a year before you can get lasik. and i think they wont do it until you are 21 anyway
I have had Lasik done 2x (Really bad eyes)

I would suggest if you do get it done go with Lasik Plus and buy the extended warranty which gives you free procedures for life if you ever need it again when your eyes change....its only like $400 extra or something

I had negative 7 in both eyes and the first treatment got me to -1 and the second treatment got me to 20/20.

I wore glasses and contacts for 18 years, had the surgery at 29...it was the best thing I could of spent my money on! (Well actually my wife bought it for me as a wedding gift....so even better!!!)
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #43
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Ask for the femtosecond lasik procedure, its a relatively new procedure. From the research I have read it usually ends with better results and healing time is much shorter.They don't have to mechanically cut a flap off your cornea and then move the flap out of the way with this procedure. Its completely done with lasers so its unobtrusive. I want to get Lasik one day. I was thinking I might do contacts for a bit.

I ride with glasses they are kind of annoying though on bumpy roads since I can see the frame of the glasses moving up and down bit by bit. They fit in my shoei rf-1100 really well and easily.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #44
Dragonracer76
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
So I've been trying on my helmet a few times and I think I've figured out the best way to sit my glasses without them moving. I think the main problem is since it's a new helmet the cheek pads are still a bit stiff which makes them more or so sit on the pads rather than my head so to speak. But if i push them as far back as i can and then angle the front they seem to sit still when i move my head around a lot, not sure if it will be the same on the road.

Anyone wear glasses in their helmet and have tips to make life easier? I suppose the most direct answer would be to get eye contacts but I've always been on the fence about touching my eyeballs...
I have a Hawk brand flip up full face and wear my glaqsses with it. The cheekpands are thick and soft so they protect for crashes and don't bend your frames. Plus it has a nice built-in sun visor that goes right over my glasses so I don't have to deal with the sunglasses or carrying two shields issue. btw: in my crash, my helmet got beat to hell and back, and the shell never cracked and my nugget has zero injures, not rvrn where my glasses fit. Check it out on leatherup.com... http://www.leatherup.com/p/Hawk-Helm...th/192210.html

Cheers, Jason
Dragonracer76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #45
Ninja Justin
ninjette.org Ninja :)

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk58 View Post
I've had trouble with my Scorpion Exo-400 and some of my glasses. Only one of my three pairs will fit comfortably in the helmet, though they seem to get a little bent. I just try to slide the ear pieces along my head until I can hook them behind my ear.
i use the same helmet, however, i put the helmet on, and then slide my sunglasses inside because otherwise it just doesn't work out well :/

The Anchorage Ninja's
Ninja Justin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #46
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

I finally gave up on trying to hook them over my ears and just wedge them in between my head and the foam in the helmet.
ai4px is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #47
bud_44
ninjette.org member

Name: bud

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Clastic and 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Yes, I think I do put my helmet on over my glasses Alex. I have a problem with my memory. Right now my helmet is in Michigan and I am in the Philippines so I can't try it on now to be sure. If I don't forget I'll try it on over classes when I get back ans post to you again. Ride safe.
bud_44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #48
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
^^^
My glasses fit fine in my HJC, but in the Shoei Qwest they angle a bit downward to the front unless I spend a little extra time to level them off.

yup same in my shoei

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #49
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I always wear my contacts when riding, they are a lot clearer and I hate wearing glasses in my helmet. I do the same thing when it comes to driving a car.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #50
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Been wearing glasses in helmets for 20+ years. No lasik or contacts. My suggestions:

-When buying a new helmet, try the helmet on with your glasses first. Some just don't work. Some helmets, like Arai and Shoei, have eyeglass channels built into the helmet. Those channels are generally awesome, but they still may not work well with your particular glasses.
-When buying glasses, bring your helmet. I bought my current glasses (after looking like a complete doofus at the store) because they were a good fit with my helmet. The technician even put a little inward (toward the head) bend at the tips behind the ear to make it fit a bit better for me.
-Helmet on first, glasses second.
-As Brian suggested earlier, get Oakley style glasses with the straight ear grippers. The frames just shoot straight back and don't curve behind the ear. The ones that didn't flare outwards are the best, for obvious reasons. Easy to put on through visor, just push 'em down the channels in the helmet. Had these until last year, never an issue putting them on.
-Against my own advice, I bought frames with an ear curve last time out (otherwise super comfy in helmet but harder to put on.) To get them on, I tilt up the helmet so the visor is upwards a bit. I find that the built in channels allow the curved frames to fit behind my ear, then when I rotate the helmet down, it pushes them into place.
-Be patient, the glasses work their way into a more comfortable fit over time as the foam inside squishes down to make room. If you want to speed the break in process, you can press the glasses into the liner of the helmet a bit and assist the channel.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; April 27th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #51
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
I had negative 7 in both eyes and the first treatment got me to -1 and the second treatment got me to 20/20.
I'm -8 in both eyes... LASIK and PRK are no goes for me. Eye doctor said my only true hope will be implantable contacts in a few years when they catch up to my prescriptions. Gah.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #52
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I wear the rattiest most salvaged glasses you've ever seen and my main problem is that the left lens pops out all the time. The screw threads are completely gone and I use twisted wire to hold that side together. The other side was soldered back on after a friend stepped on them.

Anyway, my Scorpion helmet is problematic sometimes where my GMAX GM58S was not because the glasses fit right between the seam where two different pads meet and I can't lower them on my ears (take note, helmet designers!). I get around that by starting low and then sliding up, rotating them onto my face so that the legs go behind.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote