ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1
codythomashunsberger
ninjette.org member

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): None as of yet

First bike might be an 04 Ninja 250, but I'd be inclined to make it a fighter...

Hi everyone. Sorry if this comes across as sacrilegious, but I just think that 86-07 Ninja 250s are the ugliest bikes in existence. However, they are cheap and since I'm shopping for my first bike, I'm on a budget. I found an '04 that has a little fairing scratch from being dropped, and the guy's going to sell it to me with a new rear tire for $950.

How hard would it be to make the bike a fighter? My assumption is that you take the front and side fairings off, slap on some mirrors, turn signals, and a headlight, and the rest is optional. Any truth to that? I'm a complete n00b so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Added note: If there's anyway to fit a different, better-looking headlight into the fairing there, I think I'd be fine with the bike. The headlight is my real gripe, cosmetically.
codythomashunsberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by codythomashunsberger View Post
Hi everyone. Sorry if this comes across as sacrilegious, but I just think that 86-07 Ninja 250s are the ugliest bikes in existence.

Quote:
However, they are cheap and since I'm shopping for my first bike, I'm on a budget. I found an '04 that has a little fairing scratch from being dropped, and the guy's going to sell it to me with a new rear tire for $950.
You got a great deal on a great bike!

Quote:
How hard would it be to make the bike a fighter? My assumption is that you take the front and side fairings off, slap on some mirrors, turn signals, and a headlight, and the rest is optional. Any truth to that? I'm a complete n00b so your help would be greatly appreciated.
Yup. That's pretty much what you'd need to do. Some people do custom fairing work and just remove all their old fairings entirely so all you need to do is throw on the legally required stuff then go crazy with the rest of the mods.

Quote:
Added note: If there's anyway to fit a different, better-looking headlight into the fairing there, I think I'd be fine with the bike. The headlight is my real gripe, cosmetically.
If you want you could play around with front fairing itself, try using some bondo, ABS plastic, etc and play around with the shape of the front fairing. You'd need to repaint your bike for a finished look, but that's what's nice about these old ninjas. They're just asking to be fuddled with and modded. Also if you look around at some of the pregen picture threads and street fighter/ cafe racer/ rat bike threads you'll find a lot of people with different headlights installed.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:11 AM   #3
codythomashunsberger
ninjette.org member

Is the $950 price tag something to be concerned about? It seems like it's a little too cheap, if you know what I mean.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:18 AM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Hmm $950 for a 04 ninja? Sounds either dead on or way off
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Is the $950 price tag something to be concerned about? It seems like it's a little too cheap, if you know what I mean.
No idea, you'd have to look at the bike and check it out completely. I bought mine for way lower than 950 and cost me about 700 dollars in mechanic repairs initially.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:49 AM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The only thing you can see when you ride is the mirrors, the gauges, and the road ahead of you; no one cares what you look like, you're still on a motorcycle and most of the traffic is not.

Learn to ride it and then get something that looks better to you.

Just sayin...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:20 AM   #7
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Make it a streetfighter. I also personally hate the look of the pregens, however, the streetfighter conversions can look pretty damn sexy...definitely have to make it all black though; as usual from me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (10.3 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg images (1).jpg (11.1 KB, 279 views)
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

look here for some pics, a couple of guys (including me) have street'd their bikes.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110079

Also I gave 1k for my 06 with less than 10k miles on it. You got a good deal, go with it.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM   #9
codythomashunsberger
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the help! I'm a little more confident about the idea of getting a pregen now.

Any recommendations on headlights, turn signals, gauge clusters, and/or mirrors? I figure you all have your preferences (or at least those who've made their bikes naked).

Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Any recommendations on headlights, turn signals, gauge clusters, and/or mirrors? I figure you all have your preferences (or at least those who've made their bikes naked).
Honestly, I think you'd be much better off using the current gauge cluster or modding it rather than buying a new one. You're not going to find much that's cheap and practical, especially when it comes to tachometers.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:57 PM   #11
codythomashunsberger
ninjette.org member

I doubt the gauge cluster will really be a problem. I wasn't sure if that was something commonly replaced on a fighter or not. I take it not.

Old August 24th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #12
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

Quote:
Here's my suggestion. Get the bike. Ride it for six months while you save your money. Sell it and buy the bike you want. If you leave it alone you will be able to sell it for the same money. If you start cutting on it you reduce its value to practically zero. No one buys someone else's streetfighter / custom.

Old August 24th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #13
codythomashunsberger
ninjette.org member

You have a good point. I think the look will grow on me a little. At least it's not a Vespa (that's what I'm practicing on currently).

Old August 24th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #14
JA-Moo
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): many kawasaki 2 stroke triples and a 250R now. Well no more 250R, 2013 300 now

I do fiberglass, and am pretty busy, but maybe sometime in the future I could make some front tank covers for the guys that do street fighters, if there is enough interest.

They would look something like this.......

JA-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #15
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

I took my front and bottom fairings off to repair a crack from a previous owner and I think the headlight and gauge cluster look awful nekked like that. If you're gonna keep the bike for a while and want to make it a fighter then i would recommend a new cluster and light because it just doesn't look right. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Maybe one of you on here could answer this- I always wondered where the odometer went after the cluster was removed?
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #16
rabies
time is running out....

Name: jesse

Motorcycle(s): pregen ninjari

woot. ima do the same. im looking for a headlight thats non-rice lol.

Old September 4th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #17
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

@codythomashunsberger

You like mine??

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #18
rabies
time is running out....

are those handle bars lower? what are they from?
its pretty clean looking. especialy with the vintage headlight
you need the 2 to 1 header

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #19
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabies View Post
are those handle bars lower? what are they from?
its pretty clean looking. especialy with the vintage headlight
you need the 2 to 1 header

Yup, Woodcraft 36mm clip-ons. And the Muzzy is too expensive. I'm gonna keep the exhaust stock.

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #20
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

If the fairings are just a bit scratched, I say keep them on.

Personally I like the look of the pregens a lot, but i really don't like streetfighters.
iplante is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #21
rabies
time is running out....

....did you photoshop or...cut the rear passgener peg thingy off.....? i cut mine off last night
can we get a close up shot of those handlebars?

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #22
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Yup, Woodcraft 36mm clip-ons.
Any clearance issues with the plastics removed?
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #23
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
Any clearance issues with the plastics removed?

Unfortunately yes. The angle that I have the handlebars at causes them to touch the tank when trying to turn lock to lock. But for riding it isn't an issue. It's just parking and slow maneuvers that reveal the issue. And you can't use the steering lock with the handlebars turned to the right. You can lock it straight though.

But trust me, it is worth it! You get a much better front end feel. And it is a SS riding position now. Feels like a different bike now.

Old September 6th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #24
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

The steering can lock with the bars to the right? I mean, the lock works on mine, but you can still turn the bars straight. You just can't turn them all the way to the left. Not a good enough deterrent methinks.

Good to know your experience with 'em though. Thanks!

Old September 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #25
Jono

Quote:
The steering can lock with the bars to the right? I mean, the lock works on mine, but you can still turn the bars straight. You just can't turn them all the way to the left. Not a good enough deterrent methinks.

Good to know your experience with 'em though. Thanks!

Yeah that's what I mean. And I don't believe the steering lock is a good enough theft deterrent in any position. Lol.

I could steal a pregen in a matter of minutes with just a few tools. All you have to do is research the bike a bit to realize how simple it is to ride away on one. Good thing I am not a criminal.

Old September 6th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #26
rabies
time is running out....

good thing i always have a gun and keep mine in the garage....some theives have to learn the hard way

Old September 6th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #27
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I could steal a pregen in a matter of minutes with just a few tools. All you have to do is research the bike a bit to realize how simple it is to ride away on one. Good thing I am not a criminal.
samzies dawg. It's not hard since we both have pregens and have had our bikes apart

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #28
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

I know, but something is better than nothing. For example, my friend didn't know his R6 had a lock for about a week. Imagine if we parked our bikes together, out of site, mine with a lock and his without. I think they'd be much more inclined to roll away on his bike.

Also, I feel like the seat is too low and the pegs too low and forward for this bike to feel like a super sport. Did you have your seat raised? Anything you can compare it to? Can I ride it? lol.

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Also, I feel like the seat is too low and the pegs too low and forward for this bike to feel like a super sport. Did you have your seat raised? Anything you can compare it to? Can I ride it? lol.
Yes, I raised my tail with shorter dogbones. I also have rearset adjusters and lowered risers. It's not comfy, but the position is much better for sporty riding.

Yes, a '97 CBR600F3. The CBR was much more open feeling, and more aggressive as well. The rearsets were another inch or 2 back, and made a huge difference. The clipons were also lower and more aggressive.

no.

Old September 6th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #30
Jono

@choneofakind I think he was talking to me.

@dirty nasty I think they would steal your friends R6 because it is an R6 not because it was unlocked. lol

The seat really isn't THAT low and the pegs could be moved like chris said but I don't see the need. Trust me, clip-ons on this bike change everything (well not everything but you know what I mean). It seriously has a very sporty feel to it. Of course it isn't going to be exactly like a SS because of the little narrow gas tank and other little things. And yes I have sat on SS in the dealerships and have ridden a friends 04 R6.

I will never ride a ninjette with stock handlebars again.

Old September 7th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #31
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I think he was talking to me.
ba hahahaha psssh nooooooooo

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #32
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Hm. I'd absolutely love clip-ons, but I do love my plastics at the same time. I'd have to try them to figure out if I liked plastics or clip ons more. Unless if I could get similar clearance with the plastics still installed.

What about control cables? Did you have to re-route anything or get custom control cables made?

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #33
rabies
time is running out....

nope everything is the same. you mind find more of a bend in the cables or more slack but it doesnt effect anything

Old September 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #34
Jono

Yeah I just had to move some things around. Like the brake line had to be slid down and the clutch cable bracket thingy modified a little. So NO. lol

Old September 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #35
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Good to know. Thanks guys!

Old September 7th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Same with the WC lowered risers. Things had to be shifted a little in their brackets, but nothing huge.

Old September 7th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #37
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

I thought of those, but they didn't look low enough for what I'm aiming for.

Old September 7th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #38
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
They're as low as you're going to get without hitting the tank.

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #39
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
They're as low as you're going to get without hitting the tank.
But in my mind the slightly lower bars are not worth the cost. The clip-ons are cheaper and actually give you the sporty feel you are looking for. The bad is you have to lose the fairings, gauge cluster, headlight. Lol. But crashing your bike has its perks. It takes care of all the things you need to remove.

Old September 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #40
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Lowered risers work for me