Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Buying my first motorcycle

Hello,

two weeks ago I completed the BRC. I passed, however, I'm still patiently waiting for my completion card to come in the mail -- they said it could take up to three weeks and I'm longing to get my license renewed.

I plan on buying my first motorcycle soon and I've always been interested in the Ninja 250r. Especially since I am a beginner and that I am only 5'6, 135 pounds, I think that the Ninja should be ideal for me, however, I am yet to even sit on one.

I presume most of you will recommend buying used because chances are; I will probably drop it within the first 6 months of riding.

What are your thoughts? I just noticed that the 2012 Ninja 250 is now on Kawasaki.com. Is there any difference between the 2008-'12 models anyway?
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #2
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

no. same bike
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #3
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

If you want a 250R, you may want to start looking. They are often hard to find. You can save alot of $ on a used Ninja 250R. Or, if you have the money, jump on a brand new one.

You did the smart thing and took the safety course. Be smart, get good gear, and get out there and enjoy!

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Ninja250R View Post
If you want a 250R, you may want to start looking. They are often hard to find. You can save alot of $ on a used Ninja 250R. Or, if you have the money, jump on a brand new one.

You did the smart thing and took the safety course. Be smart, get good gear, and get out there and enjoy!
They seem to be even more demanding than I thought.

I'm tempted to just buy a new one -- the MSRP is $3999, but I'm not sure how much more it'll cost after taxes and dealer fees.

It'll cost me an arm or a leg, but I'm confident I can afford a new one. I'm just worried that I'll drop it someday and have to live with it.

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #5
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Ninja250R View Post

You're kidding right? Idk about Ohio, but in most places 250's are a dime a dozen and buying a brand new one is a waste of money
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Heed

I see a few posted on Craigslist, but the majority of them have problems -- cracked windshields, broken turn signals, etc. And I'd rather not buy from a private party. I would feel much more comfortable buying from a 'stealership'.

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
I see a few posted on Craigslist, but the majority of them have problems -- cracked windshields, broken turn signals, etc. And I'd rather not buy from a private party. I would feel much more comfortable buying from a 'stealership'.
+1 ^

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #8
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

My 250R was my 1st bike. I bought it new last year. I haven't dropped it. Well I did once, and I wasn't even on the bike. (long story) Most of the time you can find used 250's, but they are not to far off of a brand new one, price wise. If it were me, i'd buy new, just because you never know what your buying when used. (most of the time)

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #9
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Personally, I'm getting a used one. I'm not the most credible person, though, as I don't even have one yet :P But based on passed vehicle experiences (i.e. dirt bikes and snowmobiles) used is definitely the way to go. I was actually going to get a new 2012 model but they didn't totally impress me so I'm hoping to find a newer blue model instead. In terms of readiness, you're way ahead of me. I still haven't taken any courses or anything haha
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #10
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

1st off, welcome to the forums john.
Between the 08+ there really aren't any differences just colors and special editions. The 2012 model is on the site, but I'm not sure when they'll be on sales floors. Some dealerships seem to have already got them, while some state it may be a while (as in feb) till they get them. You can heck out other threads on the forum about the 2012.

I myself was in the same situation as you. I couldn't decide whether I wanted new, or used.on one hand, used is cheaper then new, but the again if its your first bike and you don't know much about mechanics, you may not be able to spot problems that a used bike may come with. That was one factor I had to consider. Another was, what if it was dropped? What was the damage? Would I be able to know right away? Was the bike under warentee? (Warentees are exchangable and can be passed to someone else if the bike is sold as long as its still valid).

Eventually I decided to go with brand new. In fact, I pick her up in about two weeks. I was able to put her on a 3 month lay away which generally they don't do. The finance guy was surprised the owner allowed me to do that lol. Everyone in the building knows my bike because its the only 250 on hold. Anyway, I decided to do brand new for a few reasons. One, even though its more money, ill be glad to know I have a warentee on it. Two, I'm one of those people who if something of mine goes bad, id rather it go bad because of me, otherwise ill be upset with who ever broke it. Meaning, i'd much rathr buy a bike and risk me dropping it, rather then someone else dropping it and damaging it. Three, frame sliders do help some so ill be getting those a.s.a.p. and four, I get the pride to tel everyone I bought my bike brand new, and put all the miles on it myself.

As you can see, some people don't drop their bikes (like the post above). Sure, it happens a lot, but its not the end of the world. Most the time when someone posts about a dropped bike the worst (usually) is paint damage, a bet shifter, scratches on the mirror or broken stock blinkers.

In the end its really up to you whetheryou want to buy used or new. I do advise not to do what I did and get the 1st bike I wanted, and rather look around dealerships (if you choose new, o even used with a dealership). I'm ending up paying about $6000 even though the bike is msrp. The dealer fees are pretty sneaky and most people get it otd much cheaper the me lol. Which ever you decide, I'm sure you'll be fine either way. Good luck on your quest.

P.s. sorry for any typos. I'm on my phone. :-\
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #11
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I think you are right to think about a used Ninja to start with. But I strongly suggest you avoid getting fixer-up mechanic specials to start with. There are good deals out there, but are harder to find. Craig's list is the place to watch for them. Ask a friend who is motorcycle knowledgeable to go with you to look at it.

I knew a guy who was about your same height and weight and he didn't have a problem with the Ninja. He mounted the bike kind of odd, but it worked for him. In my case, I just stand next to the bike and lift my right leg backwards over the seat. That's how I've seen most people doing it. In his case, he started the process by first stepping on the left footrest with his left foot. Like I said, odd, but it worked for him.

Just so you know, the pregen 88-07 has a seat height that is about an inch lower than the newgen (08-12). So the pregen might be more comfortable for you.

Old August 20th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #12
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Cost for a used ninja in very good condition and low miles is surprisingly close to price for new. I looked at both when I bought mine, and decided to go with the certainty and peace of mind buying new. It was worth the extra $500 to $1000 for me. If I'd have found a good deal on a bike in good condition and not too many miles, with an trustworthy owner, I would have gone used instead.

I did drop mine fairly quickly, not my fault as a van ran a stop sign into me. And it scratched my right fairing, mirror and brake levers. No biggie, cost me $50 and 30 minutes to fix. Minor scratches on fairing remain as a badge of honor that I had the presence of mind to avoid direct collision. I'd say don't worry about going down on new vs. used, unless you find that great used bike out there, better to know what you've done on a new bike than wonder about an old one.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #13
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
1st off, welcome to the forums john.
Between the 08+ there really aren't any differences just colors and special editions. The 2012 model is on the site, but I'm not sure when they'll be on sales floors. Some dealerships seem to have already got them, while some state it may be a while (as in feb) till they get them. You can heck out other threads on the forum about the 2012.

I myself was in the same situation as you. I couldn't decide whether I wanted new, or used.on one hand, used is cheaper then new, but the again if its your first bike and you don't know much about mechanics, you may not be able to spot problems that a used bike may come with. That was one factor I had to consider. Another was, what if it was dropped? What was the damage? Would I be able to know right away? Was the bike under warentee? (Warentees are exchangable and can be passed to someone else if the bike is sold as long as its still valid).

Eventually I decided to go with brand new. In fact, I pick her up in about two weeks. I was able to put her on a 3 month lay away which generally they don't do. The finance guy was surprised the owner allowed me to do that lol. Everyone in the building knows my bike because its the only 250 on hold. Anyway, I decided to do brand new for a few reasons. One, even though its more money, ill be glad to know I have a warentee on it. Two, I'm one of those people who if something of mine goes bad, id rather it go bad because of me, otherwise ill be upset with who ever broke it. Meaning, i'd much rathr buy a bike and risk me dropping it, rather then someone else dropping it and damaging it. Three, frame sliders do help some so ill be getting those a.s.a.p. and four, I get the pride to tel everyone I bought my bike brand new, and put all the miles on it myself.

As you can see, some people don't drop their bikes (like the post above). Sure, it happens a lot, but its not the end of the world. Most the time when someone posts about a dropped bike the worst (usually) is paint damage, a bet shifter, scratches on the mirror or broken stock blinkers.

In the end its really up to you whetheryou want to buy used or new. I do advise not to do what I did and get the 1st bike I wanted, and rather look around dealerships (if you choose new, o even used with a dealership). I'm ending up paying about $6000 even though the bike is msrp. The dealer fees are pretty sneaky and most people get it otd much cheaper the me lol. Which ever you decide, I'm sure you'll be fine either way. Good luck on your quest.

P.s. sorry for any typos. I'm on my phone. :-\
6k? U serious? Glad you have money to throw around but you are wasting 3k doing that brah. Buy used with extremely low miles for 3k, spend the other 3k on gear, mods, etc. or just save it for your next bike
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #14
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Cost for a used ninja in very good condition and low miles is surprisingly close to price for new. I looked at both when I bought mine, and decided to go with the certainty and peace of mind buying new. It was worth the extra $500 to $1000 for me. If I'd have found a good deal on a bike in good condition and not too many miles, with an trustworthy owner, I would have gone used instead.

I did drop mine fairly quickly, not my fault as a van ran a stop sign into me. And it scratched my right fairing, mirror and brake levers. No biggie, cost me $50 and 30 minutes to fix. Minor scratches on fairing remain as a badge of honor that I had the presence of mind to avoid direct collision. I'd say don't worry about going down on new vs. used, unless you find that great used bike out there, better to know what you've done on a new bike than wonder about an old one.
+1

Old August 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #15
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

With your weight and height, you'll be smiling on the Ninjette. It's about as perfect as you can get for a beginner sports bike. Good arguments on both sides for new or used. I highly recommend that you budget for good gear head to toe to go along with your bike purchase. Moral of the story, go with what makes sense for you. Once you hit the twisties, the last thing you're thinking about are the $.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #16
Heed

All in all, I'm estimating that gear will run me up to $450 including footwear, a jacket and helmet. I already have gloves and I guess jeans will do.

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #17
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

jeans are not really protection :S

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #18
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
If you do purchase used, I just stumbled across this excellent article: Tips on Buying Used

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #19
Heed

What are your thoughts on buying a motorcycle in the winter? I've been told they're dirt cheap by then, but I wonder if there will be any Ninja 250's in the dealerships at that time of year.

How much cheaper are motorcycles in the winter time? And wouldn't I have to get it delivered somehow?

Old August 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #20
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Dealerships in my area start trying to clear out their inventory around October. If you live in an area with seasonal riding, that will allow you with at least 2-3 weeks of riding or as long as there's no ice or snow on the ground. I didn't see any smoking deals from the dealerships and don't hold your breath for it either since the profit margins on these bikes are not that great compared to bigger cc bikes. I was seeing more killer deals for 600cc supersports towards the end of the season. Basically, they had the SE versions going for the same price as the non SE Ninjettes. You might be able to haggle and deal a bit depending on your local market. If you're willing to look at dealerships outside of the big cities, you may find better deals.

At the same time, this sometimes means a good deal hits the used market as those riders upgrade or don't want to deal with the hassle of winter storage when they will upgrade in the spring anyways. That's how I bought my bike. Previous owner was itching to get rid of it as he needed the money to make a down payment on a new Gixxer when Suzuki had a limited time end of season promo.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #21
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
All in all, I'm estimating that gear will run me up to $450 including footwear, a jacket and helmet. I already have gloves and I guess jeans will do.
Probably not a bad estimate as long as you don't go for the premium stuff. The premium stuff is usually made better, but the cheap stuff is usually good too. There was an older thread around here somewhere with fancy boots costing $350, so the premium stuff adds up fast.

Jeans are OK, but not the best. There was a post here recently that showed that an old pair of jeans protected better than cheap leather. But premium leather was far better than anything.

Old August 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #22
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintalmighty View Post
6k? U serious? Glad you have money to throw around but you are wasting 3k doing that brah. Buy used with extremely low miles for 3k, spend the other 3k on gear, mods, etc. or just save it for your next bike
Yeah lol. It was one of those things where I saw the bike, knew I had to get it, and got it. The white SE are extremely hard to get around here (I think). Most dealerships didn't have them and the one I went to was the closest and had one. Like I said, shop around. Lol. Most bikes go for way less then what I'm paying
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #23
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Around here, the new 250R's go fast. I'd just start looking. If you find a real clean used one, and you feel good about it, I'd be comfortable buying it only if you can get a good deal.

Like the others said, a real clean used one typically sells for just a little less than a brand new one. However, they typically have lots of extras on them as money spent on that stuff (exhaust, fender kit, levers, etc.) is usually a "donation".

Don't feel like you are destined to damage your bike because you are new to it. Just be safe and smart.