ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:41 AM   #1
workdaddy
WORKDADDY

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 2fitty

A cheap fix for broken plastics

Well last year the Lil’ Ninja got tipped on its side in the driveway, and as well all know the way them blinkers are set up… it causes breakage. But instead of “Just a scratch” I had a chunk about 2.5” x 1.5” that broke out…

So I tried searching many times for a quick cheap fix to a broken side fairing… I found a small written document that said JB Weld was a great way to fill in missing part, being that it adheres to the plastic much better than fiberglass would. So I gave it a try, figured it won’t hurt and if it works it will be cheaper.

First step after removing the fairing of course was to find a way that I can back the plastic so that the filler would not fall thru. I wanted something firm and sticky enough to stay. Got looking around and found some Foil tape (The stuff used for heating and air ~ Not duct tape) Cleaned the back real well and sure enough it stuck and made firm backing.
~ See 1st Picture

Then added the JB Weld and let it dry overnight…

Next day I took the small 1.5” sanding wheel (The kind that goes into a hand drill) with the smoothest grit they had in the kit – sorry not sure what the grit was. Smoothed out and added another thin coat of JB Weld to fill in the small air bubbles.
~ See 2nd Picture

After smoothing out again, I took some Vinyl sticker (Purchased form local sign shop - well given from) and matched fairly perfect if I say so in color, cut and covered the section.
~ See 3rd Picture

Then I also had the same shop that gave me the vinyl make some new NINJA stickers. I wanted to go with something a little different so they are Shiny Silver with a white(ish) grey color.
~ See 4th Picture

Also while I had the vinyl I added a little to the plastic that sits under the leg while riding it. I like how it blends the front and rear plastic together.
~ See Last Picture

All in all as you can see in the last picture I think it turned out well.
Just wanted to share, hope it works for others if they need a cheap fix.

* Sheet of Black Vinyl = $ Free
* JB Weld = ‘bout $5.00
* Foil Tape = ‘bout $10.00
* Sanding wheel kit for drill = ‘bout $8.00
* Ninja Stickers = $24.00
* TOTAL ‘Bout $50.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foil Tape Backer 1.jpg (17.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Filler Sanded 1.jpg (17.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Patched and sticker 1.jpg (18.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Ninja Sticker close 1.jpg (15.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Repair Complete 1.jpg (27.3 KB, 10 views)
workdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote