ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 15th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #1
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): none yet

growler mgp exhaust question

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has the hotbodies mgp growler exhaust?
And if so how do you like it? How the sound quality and the sound?
I'm thinking of getting this exhaust. So I wanted to get some feed back. I've heard several different sound clips on youtube. But they all sound different.
So I thought I'd try to get some good feed back here.

Thanks guys
gsxrninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #2
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I've heard it's loud. 100+ db

Old September 15th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #3
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Well most any aftermarket weither it be slip on or full is gonna be loud. I think the area p 12" is like 95 db at idle and like 103 db under load.

Old September 15th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #4
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I think that they sell db killers though. Probably not for every exhaust..

Old September 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #5
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Oops ment to add that was without a db killer

Old September 15th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrninja250 View Post
Oops ment to add that was without a db killer
It's okay. Some exhausts don't have a db killer available. I've seen people make aftermarket ones by themselves (Ex: for the MGP Growler).

Old September 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #7
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

My friend has a MGP Growler on his '11 250R. The build quality on it is not that great. It is loud as hell with no insert. I opted for a Two Bros. with the P1X powertip. It sounds great, not too loud. And went you get on it, it sounds awesome.

Old September 15th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

i have an MGP growler AND I LOVE IT!
yes its pretty loud, but not as obnoxious as most people say. it makes it sound like a race bike, and i have been asked too many times to count what kind of exhaust i have by people on the street, bikers and non, and they all love the sound. it also looks good, idk about all of them but the build of mine is just fine, heres a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downsized_0831011718a.jpg (52.8 KB, 31 views)

Old September 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #9
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Then again Shaol1n Monk's Ninja looks killer...

Old September 15th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #10
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Ninja250R View Post
My friend has a MGP Growler on his '11 250R. The build quality on it is not that great. It is loud as hell with no insert. I opted for a Two Bros. with the P1X powertip. It sounds great, not too loud. And went you get on it, it sounds awesome.
I like the two brothers. But its just too expensive for a slip on. I mean not even the yoshi or the jardine is that much.

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #11
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Ninja250R View Post
Then again Shaol1n Monk's Ninja looks killer...
thanks brad!

Quote:
I like the two brothers. But its just too expensive for a slip on. I mean not even the yoshi or the jardine is that much.
i agree, that was the other thing about the mgp, u can usually find a used one for around 200 or less, even new theyr like 270. the two bothers is like 500 which is waaay too expensive for something that doesnt add any hp and is really just a noise maker. if ur gonna spend that much money on a two brothers u should just get a full exhaust system for near the same price and add some hp.

Old September 15th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #12
reaperw
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Well i had a mgp for 1 main reason,thats is when i started to ride i wanted people to hear me comming so there aware that i am there.Its loud i know that, but i pulled up to so many othere ninja 250 with differant exhaust and they almost sounded the same.I got it because it was half price to any othere exhaust out there.There is no db killer i email the head office and they said no.I never got pull over for the 1 riding season i had it but depends on the cops.
reaperw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #13
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

See for me if I'm gonna spend 500 bucks on a full exhaust I'm gonna go with a area p. But for me its kinda hard to do, cause then you have to have a full exhaust dyno'd to get the fule mixture correct. (Well if you rejet period you have to dyno) so in total your spending like 800 for a full exhaust (exhaust + dyno+ jets) and not even gaining that much power either.

As for the cops stopping me. I'm not worried about that. Cause unless I give them reason to stop me, they won't care about the pipe. I see straight piped harlys on a daily basis. And modded squid rockets. As well. Only when someones speeding or something do I see them get pulled over.

Old September 15th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #14
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Who told you that a dyno was required with jetting? There is enough info on this site to get you almost spot on first try.
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #15
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickadolph View Post
Who told you that a dyno was required with jetting? There is enough info on this site to get you almost spot on first try.
No one actually told me that. I said that meaning if you don't know jetting. Or if you don't have time or tools to do it.

Old September 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #16
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

actually if you go full exhaust, k&n air filter and rejet you can add 10-15 hp i believe, which on these bikes is alot! you will def feel the difference.

Old September 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #17
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaol1n Monk View Post
actually if you go full exhaust, k&n air filter and rejet you can add 10-15 hp i believe, which on these bikes is alot! you will def feel the difference.
Tis true, I did it.

Old September 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #18
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Tis false, more like 2-5 hp which is still significant for a stock 26-28hp bike.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #19
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

I was gonna say. 10 to 15 hp is a false thing. I've never heard of anyone getting that much extra hp out of a 250 even on the race bikes. Most are lucky to get 2 to 3 hp. I haven't seen a whole lot. Some of the companys clame 30 hp or more. But I haven't really seen a dyno run over 28hp.

Old September 15th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
But I haven't really seen a dyno run over 28hp.
Have you looked here or here?

Intake, exhaust, and jetting will get a strong-running bike to 30/31 peak hp without much trouble. But much more than that requires a heck of a lot more work.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #21
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Intake, exhaust, and jetting will get a strong-running bike to 30/31 peak hp without much trouble. But much more than that requires a heck of a lot more work.
Link #2 is my bike

Which unfortunately is nowhere near as pretty as it looks there...

-sigh-
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #22
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

I've seen area p. And the claim is 30 but ive seen a few area p dynos and they were like 28 29 hp. But two brothers full exhaust also clames 30 to 31 hp

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #23
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

so yea that second link claims 10.5 hp over the stock system. thats with $575 full racing exhaust,, $85 custom jet kit, and a few other mods. i wasnt sure of the exact hp gain for my claim earlier but apparently i was pretty close. you can spend $500+ on a two brothers noisemaker (cuz thats all any slip on really is) or you can spend a little more and get some serious performance enhancement... 33% increase over stock is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

if all you want is to be heard go with the growler and save ur money for other mods

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #24
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

From what I've heard, if you plan on doing highway riding or at speed rides, be ready to have your ears blown out. I had the full exhaust area p quiet core and it wasn't obnoxiously loud but it still had quite a nice rumble to it. I neither rejetted nor shimmed my bike after installing it and it ran just fine (I was going to eventually get around to shimming to see if it made a difference) but YMMV.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #25
Cuongism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaol1n Monk View Post
so yea that second link claims 10.5 hp over the stock system. thats with $575 full racing exhaust,, $85 custom jet kit, and a few other mods. i wasnt sure of the exact hp gain for my claim earlier but apparently i was pretty close. you can spend $500+ on a two brothers noisemaker (cuz thats all any slip on really is) or you can spend a little more and get some serious performance enhancement... 33% increase over stock is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

if all you want is to be heard go with the growler and save ur money for other mods
Hmmm, never realized it but that statement of 10.5 hp is a bit misleading. That measurement is from a certain rpm, specifically 12250 rpm where the race exhaust generates its peak hp at 31 and a stock is falling at 21 hp. However, the stock exhaust generates its peak hp at 11k usually around 26-28 hp. After 12k, the stock exhaust starts dropping off.

It's unfair to measure at a certain rpm only especially where peak hp's are different. A better measurement is comparing peak hp's. I also doubt most people spend much time from 12-13k where hp trails off for the stock exhaust.

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #26
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

I never said I didn't want performance. All I'm saying is from what I've seen and heard. And if you look on two brothers website they now make a FULL exhaust system for the ninja. And they also clame 30 hp. So does yoshi. But I've seen people with yoshi top at 26 to 28. But maybe it all depends.

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #27
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
From what I've heard, if you plan on doing highway riding or at speed rides, be ready to have your ears blown out. I had the full exhaust area p quiet core and it wasn't obnoxiously loud but it still had quite a nice rumble to it. I neither rejetted nor shimmed my bike after installing it and it ran just fine (I was going to eventually get around to shimming to see if it made a difference) but YMMV.

So wait. Did you have the full exhaust with stock jetting??

Old September 16th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #28
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Yes. After I installed the full exhaust I hadn't touched the jetting or the needles.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #29
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Tis false, more like 2-5 hp which is still significant for a stock 26-28hp bike.
My "tis true" was directed more to the noticeable increase part.

Old September 16th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #30
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Quote:
Hmmm, never realized it but that statement of 10.5 hp is a bit misleading. That measurement is from a certain rpm, specifically 12250 rpm where the race exhaust generates its peak hp at 31 and a stock is falling at 21 hp. However, the stock exhaust generates its peak hp at 11k usually around 26-28 hp. After 12k, the stock exhaust starts dropping off.

It's unfair to measure at a certain rpm only especially where peak hp's are different. A better measurement is comparing peak hp's. I also doubt most people spend much time from 12-13k where hp trails off for the stock exhaust.
i agree cuong, i just bought my bike in march and wont get into performance upgrades till the winter (when it snows and i cant ride) so i havent done alot of research on HP upgrades and dyno charts yet. i just know that for near the price of a two brothers slip on whcih only upgrades the noise factor, you can buy an area p full race system and get some more power out of the bike.

i knew i wasnt going to do any full system till winter whch is why i went for a quick fix in the mgp. and i do honestly love the way it sounds. and the price is right. i just cant see spending more than 200-250 on a slip on. that was really my original point.

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #31
Cuongism

Of course, I just didn't want anyone to be misled into thinking they might be able to get 10+hp without any nitrous. I actually do have the race exhaust with pods and larger jets and it definitely pulls harder especially to redline.

Some of the racers here have dynos from 32-34 which I'm actually curious on how they're doing it especially with stock airboxes. Maybe one of them can chime in

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #32
BruceCLin
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

I have the MGP Growler and ride 30 minutes on the highway to work. I wear earplug for the more damaging wind noise anyway, so my ears are safe. I really like the look of its short pipe and it does sound very good. The only time I dislike it is when I have to go through a really nice quite residential area.
BruceCLin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #33
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I had the MGP Growler... it looked cool, was inexpensive and was INCREDIBLY loud. So much so that on long rides I would get a headache from the noise (I don't wear ear protection):

I switched to the Yoshi full exhaust... I LOVE IT!!! I use the sound baffle and normally the wind noise is worse than the exhaust noise. Don't get me wrong it still sounds great... just not annoying.

I've also done pod filters, full rejet with machined needles and dyno'd with 28.93 max hp:

If it were me and I had it to do all over again... I would save and get the full exhaust first. Unless you have absolutely no intent on ever doing performance mods... then I suppose go for just a slip on. But, unless you want EXTREMELY LOUD... you may want to consider something other than the MGP Growler... just my two cents
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #34
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

See that's exactly my point. If you look at yoshi's website. They claim 30 HP on the dyno. And hes maxing at 28 with pods and a re jet.

But on another note. I don't like the yoshi. Its too quiet for me.
I am probably going full exhaust. But I want something that makes some noise. Like a area p. The yosh to me is just too quiet even under load.

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #35
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
...The yosh to me is just too quiet even under load...
Different strokes for different folks. I suppose if I wanted loud and annoying I would have kept the growler...lol.

BTW, you didn't really have to fully quote me right after my post... I'm pretty sure everyone realized you were referring to me since you posted directly after me. Just a pet peeve of mine to see a bunch of pictures reposted because of a quote directly after the original post... sorry, off my soapbox now

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #36
Cuongism

You must've read Alex's silly pet peeve post

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...illy+pet+peeve

For loudness, it also depends on where you keep your rpms. I had a Yoshi as well and thought it was plenty loud even with the db killer installed. Someone who cruises at 6-9k will be a lot quieter than someone who rides at 9-12k. MGP is overboard in my opinion (no one wants to ride behind Cazper ).

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #37
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Lol. Ill read it. And as for the loud thing I just want something that has good tone to it. at idle and under load.
and the yosh lacks that in my opinion.

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #38
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
...MGP is overboard in my opinion (no one wants to ride behind Cazper )...
Exactly why I swapped for my Yoshi... much better to ride behind me now

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #39
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
You must've read Alex's silly pet peeve post

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...illy+pet+peeve

For loudness, it also depends on where you keep your rpms. I had a Yoshi as well and thought it was plenty loud even with the db killer installed. Someone who cruises at 6-9k will be a lot quieter than someone who rides at 9-12k. MGP is overboard in my opinion (no one wants to ride behind Cazper ).
I second that ****, that growler is annoyingly loud.

The reason you see the exhausts lower then the manufacturers claim is lack of tuning. What the manufacturers don't tell you is that to get the 30+hp you have to fine tune the jets and idle mixture screws and perhaps even drill the slides. Its a lot of work as you have to make small changes, run it on the dyno, more small changes so on and so on.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote