Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old February 14th, 2018, 05:48 PM   #1
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Part my bike out or sell as is?!

Not sure if this is the right section or not, so please move the post i it's the wrong section.

I recently moved up to a 2013 ZX6R and don't really find need for my '08 Ninja 250. I was going to fix it up and keep it as a backup or track it out, but I need the money.

It's been crashed a couple times, so the fairings are wrecked for the most part and it has 30K+ miles on it. Besides that it runs and rides fine.

Would I get more for cashing it for parting out, or would it not be worth the hassle and just sell it as is?
Insane Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2018, 06:02 PM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Parting it out will take much longer, but you will eventually make more money. only you can decide if it is worth it.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2018, 06:19 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
How much is your time worth?

If you part it out, you won't be able to sell every last thing. Which means that down the road, you're still going to have a bunch of stuff lying around that you can't unload.

A crashed, beat up, 10-year-old, 30k bike... going to be hard to move in any event. Don't expect to make much at all. I'd be amazed if anyone were to give you more than 800 for it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^What he said.

Old February 19th, 2018, 06:15 PM   #5
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Pie View Post
Would I get more for cashing it for parting out, or would it not be worth the hassle and just sell it as is?
An acquaintance of mine got more cash parting it out. So i would say it's legit.

Old February 24th, 2018, 09:53 AM   #6
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

I am a buyer of cheap bikes. I target low mileage bikes that need work. There are lots of bikes folks have just lost interest. If your bike had 10,000 miles and crashed I would consider buying it for no more than $500 or $600. There is not much money in parting out a 30,000 mile bike if you are honest about the mileage.
I just picked up a 2006 for $400 with 7300 miles.
So far it have spent $75 for a new front tire, $28 for a carb kit and $30 bucks for rear brake pads.
I plan on riding it for a thousand or so and then "cafe" it.

Just my opinion.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 25th, 2018, 11:22 PM   #7
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Pie View Post
Of course you'd always get more parting it out. But you'd have to compare how much time and effort it will take compared to just working those hours at your job. If you're earning U$10/hr, it may be worth it to part out as you'd make more than working those hours. However, if you're earning U$50/hr, dump the bike and go to work!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote