ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 14th, 2020, 10:55 PM   #1
Tumazas
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tumas

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ex 250r

Cold start problem

Hello,
new here, I just bought 2006 ninja 250. And I`ve experienced some problems regarding cold starting. A brief history of the bike I bought it this weekend with 5 thousand miles and everything was fine while the engine was warm. But the next day it won't start.
I did change spark plugs but it didn't make a difference. I feel that there is a problem with a choke because bike only cranks with the choke on and without choke it starts but dies soon after, my dad said that bike seems to get flooded. But when the bike starts and gets hot it works fine.
thanks in advance
Tumazas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2020, 05:36 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
If it's flooding you should be able to tell from the black smoke and smell of the exhaust. I assume you mean it starts only with the enricher on... you said it only cranks with it on.

You probably have partially clogged idle passages in the carburetors. There's a small chance the idle adjustment screws have been misadjusted too lean, so you could try setting them back to the stock 2.5 turns from closed and see where you stand.

Welcome to the board Tumas!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Tumazas
ninjette.org newbie

Thank you for welcoming me. The bike starts without choke, It seems that choke somehow just makes cold starting worse, today I managed to start it after multiple attempts and now when it is warm it works fine. I will try to clean carburetors tomorrow. Still new into motorcycles and into "moto mechanics" as well.

Old May 15th, 2020, 06:41 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumazas View Post
Hello,
new here, I just bought 2006 ninja 250. And I`ve experienced some problems regarding cold starting. A brief history of the bike I bought it this weekend with 5 thousand miles and everything was fine while the engine was warm. But the next day it won't start.
I did change spark plugs but it didn't make a difference. I feel that there is a problem with a choke because bike only cranks with the choke on and without choke it starts but dies soon after, my dad said that bike seems to get flooded. But when the bike starts and gets hot it works fine.
thanks in advance
Have you tried setting the choke less than full? Typically after it sputters once you can back the choke off to get it started.

Once it starts set the choke to keep the RPMs about 2500 or so. After a minute you should be able to back it almost all the way down. It won't idle great, but it should stay running. Use only enough choke (enrichener) to keep it running until you take off.

Once hot, you shouldn't need any choke to restart.

EDIT: If it starts without choke, and choke makes it worse, chances are you are running too rich. That's not what I understood initially.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2020, 06:48 AM   #5
Tumazas
ninjette.org newbie

yeah, I tried using less choke and increasing choke in small increments but that only increases rpm a bit it bike instantly try to die. Thank you for your help, I will try to adjust the idle screw today and try to start the bike tomorrow while it's cold

Old May 15th, 2020, 07:49 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumazas View Post
Thank you for welcoming me. The bike starts without choke, It seems that choke somehow just makes cold starting worse, today I managed to start it after multiple attempts and now when it is warm it works fine. I will try to clean carburetors tomorrow. Still new into motorcycles and into "moto mechanics" as well.
OK, now I understand what you meant! Yes, it's probably flooding like your dad said. It's possible the enricher is leaking, or the float level is too high, or the float valves are leaking. (etc.)
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 15th, 2020, 08:40 AM   #7
Tumazas
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
OK, now I understand what you meant! Yes, it's probably flooding like your dad said. It's possible the enricher is leaking, or the float level is too high, or the float valves are leaking. (etc.)
Thank you for your insight. I will look into your provided solutions. Will write if I find a fix