ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old December 14th, 2018, 05:54 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - MO Tested: RidePower Phone Charger

Sure, we all say that we’re going for a ride to disconnect from it all and to free ourselves from our electronic/digital chains. While I’m sure this is true for some, the truth of the matter points otherwise. More and more riders, myself included, are using technology to help them with their riding – even if it’s something as simple as using your phone’s GPS to help you navigate somewhere. Electronics, as we all know, use batteries, and batteries eventually run out unless they have access to power to recharge. This isn’t an issue if your motorcycle already comes with a power outlet, but for those who don’t? Hmm, if only we had a power source to tap into…

Say hello to the RidePower charging system. The brainchild of retired Marine Steve Young (not to be confused for the retired quarterback), the RidePower came about when Young was looking for a way to keep his phone charged while riding his Jet Ski. It would routinely die on him while he checked the weather app for tide conditions and such. Not happy with the products already on the market, he developed his own charging device that could be used not only in the water, but on a variety of powersport vehicles, motorcycles among them.

There’s not much to the RidePower system. It’s simple and effective.

The Nitty Gritty

For the technical folks, the RidePower is very simple. It’s a water resistant wiring harness able to withstand nearly any weather condition we would ever find ourselves riding in (Young officially claims weather resistance down to 32ºF on the low end and 230ºF on the high end). The harness connects directly to the battery terminals of your motorcycle, and there’s a 7.5 Amp inline automotive fuse to keep things safe should something go awry. It accepts inputs ranging from 12 volts to 48 volts and has a maximum output of 2.1 amps. It’s compatible with nearly all cell phones – iOS or Android – and adapters for micro-USB, USB-C, or Lightning are available should you change phones or need to charge other devices.

Being an Android user, I received the micro-USB kit with a six-foot cable (other lengths are available). As advertised, installation really is as simple as plugging the harness leads into the corresponding battery terminals. From there, connect the charging cable to the harness, tuck the excess cabling behind body panels of the motorcycle – leaving some slack so the bars can move freely in either direction – and lastly, plug the charger to the phone. Just like that, Bob’s your uncle.

The 7.5 Amp automotive fuse is easily accessible and ensures no major failure will occur to your motorcycle’s electrical system should something go wrong with the RidePower.

“Testing” the RidePower is rather straightforward, as my phone now gets juice when I ride and stays charged when I use my navigation app. I’ve even changed phones since I received the RidePower and Young was kind enough to send me a USB-C adapter to continue using the RidePower with my new phone. Granted, I haven’t ridden with the system through rain showers or extreme weather, so its performance under those conditions is yet to be seen. For $39.99, and an additional $5.99 for the USB-C adapter, the RidePower is a cheap and easy way to get reliable power into your device. Learn more at RidePower.net. Still confused? Here’s a nifty video from Steve Young himself:

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.

The post MO Tested: RidePower Phone Charger appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...