ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 30th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Green/Black/White Ninja 250R

What's the best place to mount your GPS?

I've been looking at the forums here and at the RAM GPS mounts and it seems there are at least three different ones you can use for your GPS that are compatible with the newer Ninjas.

These are the three compatible RAM mounts I've found:

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-R...=2AS5XKD13PDWZ

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-S...hu-rd_add_1_dp

http://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mounts-Bas...5294598&sr=8-1

I was wondering if anyone had opinion or feedback on where is the best/easiest place to mount your GPS before I go ahead and buy.

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #2
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Not sure for newer gen. Ninja.. but for motorcycles in general, I like to place the GPS right over the speedo display, since GPS gives more accurate speed anyway.

The central location of the GPS in-line with the moving direction of the bike would require less time for rider to switch focus of vision.

The less time eye spent off the direction of travel, the less reaction time required when something occurs.

With my 12 yr. ild GPS unit that's been mounted on over 40 different motorcycles, here's how I mount if on my pre-gen Ninja:

Simple RAM mount on the handlebar bolt:

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Not sure for newer gen. Ninja.. but for motorcycles in general, I like to place the GPS right over the speedo display, since GPS gives more accurate speed anyway.

The central location of the GPS in-line with the moving direction of the bike would require less time for rider to switch focus of vision.

The less time eye spent off the direction of travel, the less reaction time required when something occurs.

With my 12 yr. ild GPS unit that's been mounted on over 40 different motorcycles, here's how I mount if on my pre-gen Ninja:

Simple RAM mount on the handlebar bolt:

Makes sense. Not sure where I will position it exactly, but you like the handlebar mount then?

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #4
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

You may want to decide first, if you want the gps to be closer to your left or right hand... and go from there. Are you left or right-handed?

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #5
"A"
vampire

I do like it, RAM mounts are convenient, simple way to mount GPS between multiple motos.

If you really want the most ideal location for a GPSon a newer gen Ninja, not sure if the contraption would be solid enough once the moto is running though, road shock and engine vibe might make the GPS difficult to read:

Another GPS mount solution - "Erector-RAM"

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #6
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT View Post
You may want to decide first, if you want the gps to be closer to your left or right hand... and go from there. Are you left or right-handed?
Controls to the GPS is secondary to the visibility of the GPS unit, since you look at the unit's display far more than how often you use the controls.

Besides, keeping your eyes on the road should be the top priority while riding, vs eyes on the GPS.

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Mount it on your helmet, directly in front of your visor, and you won't have to worry about taking your eyes off the road to see it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #8
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

My solution - I don't have a dedicated GPS device, in its stead I use my phone (Nokia N86). Don't know if iPhones can navigate offline, but my phone can do so because the maps and voice navigation software are installed in it. Now that I'm done advertising for Nokia , I'll go straight to my point. I'll select my destination, attach my earphones and put my phone in my pocket and the voice navi will give me directions and warn me if my speed is in excess of the limit. What more can you ask for? Ride listening to cool tunes with the navi voice fading in and out with directions.
Nokia Rules!
In your faces!, you "ooh, I'm too cool for keypads", touchscreen loving freaks!
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #9
"A"
vampire

I tend to avoid all audio distractions when I'm riding.
I put on ear plugs, only hear dampened surroudings and vehicle related sounds to keep me focused on the ride and how my bike is runing.

Old December 30th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #10
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I have mine mounted right on top of the Dash under the windscreen. I love it there. I can see the gauges and it doesnt take much effort to glance down a little. I can also route the power cable from the back instead of up to the handlebars. Makes for easy storage. I used the angled RAM mount on the mirror bolt with 2 short arms. Vibration is very minimal as well.

Old December 30th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #11
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I do like it, RAM mounts are convenient, simple way to mount GPS between multiple motos.

If you really want the most ideal location for a GPSon a newer gen Ninja, not sure if the contraption would be solid enough once the moto is running though, road shock and engine vibe might make the GPS difficult to read:

Another GPS mount solution - "Erector-RAM"
Thanks for the link! I really like what you did, and although it looks like a little more time and money spent on doing this than I had planned, I might follow your lead if I don't find an easier way I'll be happy with. Hmm...

Quote:
Controls to the GPS is secondary to the visibility of the GPS unit, since you look at the unit's display far more than how often you use the controls.

Besides, keeping your eyes on the road should be the top priority while riding, vs eyes on the GPS.
I agree here. I'm right-handed, but I don't ever intend to use the touch screen while riding. Gloves in the way, maintaining the throttle, watching the road, etc. is enough for me to worry about.

Quote:
I tend to avoid all audio distractions when I'm riding.
Me too. I know a lot of people are comfortable with listening to audio while riding, but I don't feel it's the safest way to ride. Too many idiots out there and I need all my senses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
I have mine mounted right on top of the Dash under the windscreen. I love it there. I can see the gauges and it doesnt take much effort to glance down a little. I can also route the power cable from the back instead of up to the handlebars. Makes for easy storage. I used the angled RAM mount on the mirror bolt with 2 short arms. Vibration is very minimal as well.
The more I read, the more this sounds like the ideal location for use, aesthetics, and keeping it dry. Which short arms did you use specifically?

Old December 30th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #12
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Ghost View Post
The more I read, the more this sounds like the ideal location for use, aesthetics, and keeping it dry. Which short arms did you use specifically?
Yup, honestly I love it. I leave the RAM mounts on all the time exposed to the elements and so far it has survived very very well. Here is the exact parts I used for mine. Obviously switch out with your GPS's bracket.

Old December 30th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #13
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yup, honestly I love it. I leave the RAM mounts on all the time exposed to the elements and so far it has survived very very well. Here is the exact parts I used for mine. Obviously switch out with your GPS's bracket.

Thanks! This is looking a lot pricier than I was expecting, but I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet if I want it to be good. I'll probably go through Amazon so I can at least get free shipping, but dam* I can't believe it's going to cost half the price of the new Garmin I got for Christmas!

Old December 30th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Another good option is to just screw a RAM ball into either the left or right unused mirror hole on the handlebars. It's covered by a small plastic cap.

Link to the RAM-b-349 part

Description within this thread.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/thread moved to new-gen Farkles

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #16
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2011 150cc chinaman scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
My solution - I don't have a dedicated GPS device, in its stead I use my phone (Nokia N86). Don't know if iPhones can navigate offline, but my phone can do so because the maps and voice navigation software are installed in it. Now that I'm done advertising for Nokia , I'll go straight to my point. I'll select my destination, attach my earphones and put my phone in my pocket and the voice navi will give me directions and warn me if my speed is in excess of the limit. What more can you ask for? Ride listening to cool tunes with the navi voice fading in and out with directions.
Nokia Rules!
In your faces!, you "ooh, I'm too cool for keypads", touchscreen loving freaks!

Tom Tom app + iPhone + 3G = negates all of ^
Socal5646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2011, 12:43 AM   #17
setasai

Anything that uses cell data is going to be useless if you travel out of the city unless it has the capability to store map data on the phone and only use the GPS antenna.

@Little_Ghost yea it gets kinda pricey. Which is why I've purchased a camera mount along with a cupholder for RAM as well. That way I can use the same mounts for everything. If you do some hunting, you might find discounts on certain parts. I think if you substitute the 2 short arms w/ 1 extra long arm, you might get the necessary distance. Alex's suggestion on the handlebar mount works great as well if you're okay with it turning with the bars.

Amazon might end up using GPSCity.com. If so, there is a 5% off coupon "RAMLIVECHAT" for RAM mounts only. Pretty sure it still works.

Old December 31st, 2011, 12:45 AM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i think its fun getting lost

some of the best conversations i've had have been at gas stations in the middle of nowhere with complete strangers

Old December 31st, 2011, 12:48 AM   #19
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Anything that uses cell data is going to be useless if you travel out of the city unless it has the capability to store map data on the phone and only use the GPS antenna.

@Little_Ghost yea it gets kinda pricey. Which is why I've purchased a camera mount along with a cupholder for RAM as well. That way I can use the same mounts for everything. If you do some hunting, you might find discounts on certain parts. I think if you substitute the 2 short arms w/ 1 extra long arm, you might get the necessary distance. Alex's suggestion on the handlebar mount works great as well if you're okay with it turning with the bars.

Amazon might end up using GPSCity.com. If so, there is a 5% off coupon "RAMLIVECHAT" for RAM mounts only. Pretty sure it still works.

Old December 31st, 2011, 12:50 AM   #20
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Tom Tom app is a 1.8gb download...I'm sure all the maps are in there!

Old December 31st, 2011, 12:55 AM   #21
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal5646 View Post
Tom Tom app is a 1.8gb download...I'm sure all the maps are in there!
Gosh I hope so. Otherwise that'd be a ton of wasted media space.

Old December 31st, 2011, 06:56 AM   #22
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I got the brake reservoir plate that attaches to the top with the ball on the top. I'll then angle the arm and the gps in toward the windshield. I have a power system set up to keep it charged too.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2011, 09:57 AM   #23
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Another good option is to just screw a RAM ball into either the left or right unused mirror hole on the handlebars. It's covered by a small plastic cap.

Thanks, Alex. That's a good quick and dirty solution.

@Socal5646 - Thanks for the coupon tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
I got the brake reservoir plate that attaches to the top with the ball on the top. I'll then angle the arm and the gps in toward the windshield. I have a power system set up to keep it charged too.
From your description, this looks like one of the systems I posted a link to on the RAM site at the beginning of the thread. Are you happy with it? It looks like the positioning might be a little odd. I considered ordering it before I asked around on here.

Old December 31st, 2011, 10:01 AM   #24
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Thank you everyone for helping me to decide!
I have a way better understanding of the parts and positioning now.

I just placed an order on Amazon for the parts Brian and A suggested. Looking forward to mounting it on my bike and getting lost this Spring!

Old December 31st, 2011, 10:05 AM   #25
NDspd

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
From your description, this looks like one of the systems I posted a link to on the RAM site at the beginning of the thread. Are you happy with it? It looks like the positioning might be a little odd. I considered ordering it before I asked around on here.
Actually I have yet to install it, I'm away on break and my bike is in storage. I'll have it on in the next few weeks.

Old December 31st, 2011, 12:42 PM   #26
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks, Alex. That's a good quick and dirty solution.

@setasai - Thanks for the coupon tip!

Fixed it for you

Old December 31st, 2011, 08:25 PM   #27
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Fixed it for you

Old December 31st, 2011, 08:27 PM   #28
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Talking

Quote:
Setasai gave you the coupon...

Old January 1st, 2012, 07:15 PM   #29
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Setasai gave you the coupon...
Ohhh. Oops. I didn't even notice I accidentally did that! Thanks!

Old January 1st, 2012, 07:54 PM   #30
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i think its fun getting lost

some of the best conversations i've had have been at gas stations in the middle of nowhere with complete strangers
if you think a GPS will keep you from getting lost, go to the ride reports section and read my story about taking a girl on a date immediately. My GPS is also the reason I get to have great concersations at gunpoint with farmers about why I'm riding through their fields and colliding with their cows.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 2nd, 2012, 12:44 AM   #31
setasai

I prefer to use the GPS more for road conditions. It's awesome when you see a turn that says 25mph, look down at the GPS, and realize its a decreasing radius hairpin. Has kept me out of trouble a few times and also has allowed me to maintain speeds through wavy curves because I knew it wasnt going to be a turn I couldnt take.

Also helps let you know what the next exit is on the freeway so you can decide if you want to change lanes. If you're using the GPS function anyways. Voice navigation is useless though.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:27 PM   #32
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

A good GPS can also direct you to places to eat/sleep/shop with just one touch too. No stopping to search the web while waiting around for your phone to connect with enough satellites to respond.

Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:32 PM   #33
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

You have a satellite phone???
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:57 PM   #34
gadgetguy1288
Coastie Tweet

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Ebony, 2012 BMW F800R White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

I just put this on my bike and it works perfectly for my needs, although the GPS I have(Garmin Nuvi 1490) is rather large. lol

Ill try and get some pics of the whole set-up tomorrow. I also have a Battery Tender QD on the battery with a 12v accessory plug with a QD socket on the other end to use with it. and the 12v plug is ziptied to a bracket under the handle bars. Ive got pics of the 12v plug already in my mod thread, but ill update that tomorrow hopefully with the gps mount and a few other things that Ive done.
gadgetguy1288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #35
NDspd

Ok, I got mine all hooked up, I'll post pics as soon as I get them.