ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #1
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

While I have the bike open, what else should I do?

Ok, so I've ordered up the B2 fender eliminator, Bikemonkey Integrated tail light, proton flush mount front signals, Diode kit, shogun frame sliders for the body and I'm going to pick up a LED Flasher Relay locally. I might end up picking up some SMALL LED turn indicators for the rear sides depending on what the B2 kit allows for.

Then for the inside, I got K&N 0990 POD filters, and a Dynojet kit and a Milwakee angled driver head. I've got that bad stall coming off of stops so I figured while I was taking out the carb over and over to adjust Jets, needles, etc, that I would just go with the PODs to make life easier. I'm also picking up a #70 drill bit to do THAT mod while I have the carbs off anyway. I forget what the part is called, but it's to increase throttle response.

I've pretty much ran out of money, so I'm gonna make my own Carb Syncher, and I would like, but can't afford a quiter exhaust. Or one of those RX exhausts are super sexy I saw a pic of somewhere. But I digress.

So I've got basic handtools, and all the stuff I've listed. Am I missing anything as far as ya'll can tell to get this stuff put in? Like bolts that SHOULD have come with something but doesn't, or obscure tools that make jobs easier?

More importantly, while I have everything off, are their more mods/procedures I might as well do that don't cost an arm and a leg? I don't intend to strip my bike down all the way very often, so I'm trying to get all that stuff done at once (though one at a time, in case I run into trouble I know what did it).

So, any ideas? (I'm debating a cig lighter under the back seat, or maybe up by the controls for unexpected charges of phone, ipod, homemade heated gloves (possible future project), etc. etc.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Shim the needles.. add K&N R-0990 and new jet kit. Make sure the jet kit has big enough jets to handle that air filter.
Bye Bye low end stall-age.
Thing will warm up much faster too.

I still have to find a place I want to mount my accessory socket and emergency 12v cig lighter..
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #3
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Pretty much covered most.
I'd add 15 front and 42 rear sprocket and throttle PVC or ziptie mod.
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #4
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

I got the DynoJet 2193 (I think that's the right numbers) kit. Anyone know right off what the best Jet/needle settings are to use to start off with? (I know it's probably in a thread but my head is about to melt already from all the research I've been doing the past few days between bike mods and work) Remembering that I'm going with Pods and stock exhaust.

Speaking of Pods and Stock exhaust, opening up the intake and leaving the exhaust stock, is that really going to do me any good? (other than making frequent carb pulls for adjustments easier if I can't manage to do the stuff with the carbs ON the bike)

Oh wow, that Ziptie mod is SWEET. I've been bummed that their wasn't a mod to do this. Glad to see I was wrong! I'm a fatty, and I have some BIG 70mph hills on my commute. This should make things a lot smoother.

Doesn't moving up the sprockets lower your low end Ooomph in exchange for top speed? (It's my next research project now ) I'm thinking it may not be a good idea to give myself too much more room in the top speed dept. LOL

Old February 16th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #5
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Jetting w/ needles and intake without exhaust still has awesome gain but probably melting stock exhaust innards. Specially from capping off emissions and vacuum lines from removing the air box.
Exhaust is my next mod since I did the others.

In my build thread below is a video of my bike with jetting/intake but stock exhaust.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #6
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Dude, Ninja 250, that's one sexy bike. I think I may switch out my upper cowling to black. that looks really nice. (I got the 09 SE with the black and white lower cowlings). I'm usually not a big fan of the whole 'tribal' movement, but it DOES look hella hot on your bike! I was oggling one of those at the dealership last friday when I was having my first servicing done.

That's one epic thread! I'll defenantly go through it tonight at work (I work 12 hour graves, so I'm almost ready to go home). I'm looking forward to seeing what all you did. It looks like about all the same stuff I wanna do.

Anyone know about how long my cats should last with what I'm trying to do? I'll probably be able to upgrade within a month or two to a new exhaust if the cats can hold out that long.

Also, does anyone have a link to the thread that talks about Front/Rear sprockets, and what they do, and how they interplay with each other and all whatnot? For some reason my search skills are lacking today.

Old February 16th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #7
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

mwhahaha, I found the thread about sprockets but lots of conflicting info. But it has this AWESOME link ot the GearingCamander.Com! http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Old February 16th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
I found the thread about sprockets but lots of conflicting info. /[/url]
which thread is that?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I'd recommend getting a set of better screws for your carb float bowls and lifter diaphragm/needle covers because the factory bolts strip if you just look at 'em funny.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...&postcount=487

Old February 16th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Check your antifreeze. They skimped on me at the stealership.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

The thread was either this one, or a linked thread off of it. I had like 10 windows open. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10273

I think I'll try the 15T front. But I'm pretty happy with my top end speeds. I cruise on the freeway at 70mph at 8k rpm. I could use a little more Oomph for passing though. But I think a lot of that is being a newb, and not downshifting enough. Their cheap enough I'll try it out, and if I don't like it no big loss. But if I DO like it, whoots!

New screws, I was planning on that once I had 'em off, but that thread states their size. So I'll go to ACE hardware and pick 'em up tomorrow. Thanks for the linky!

Anti Freeze eh? I just had my service so I would think that they would have checked, but I don't trust mechanics either, so I'll be sure to double it check. Thanks.

Seems like I'm pretty well set! Thanks a ton everyone.