ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 5th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

My bike broke down this morning...

My 2004 Ninja 250 broke down this morning...

I had been riding for about 20 minutes and was stopped at a red light. When the light changed and as was accelerating in first gear a quick puff of white/grey smoke flew up in my face and the engine tone changed to a deep hollow growl...it then just died.

I managed to roll into a parking spot (I was riding in downtown Boston) and tried to start the bike but I wouldn't although it turns over. Engine temp seems normal and there is some gas in the tank.

Does anyone have ideas about this?

- A
aweesner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
smoke is never good... i would start by checking to make sure you have coolant and a radiator and it didn't just all drop out or something... make sure its not drenched in oil from something busting through, or out of your engine or something... take a look at your spark plugs and make sure they're still there... still got gas? does it make any backfire when you try to start it? does the exhaust smell of gas when you try to start it? any odd electrical issues when you flick the bike on? was it raining that morning? was your bike wet? could there be water in the airbox?

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #3
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
smoke is never good... I would start by checking to make sure you have coolant and a radiator and it didn't just all drop out or something... Make sure its not drenched in oil from something busting through, or out of your engine or something... Take a look at your spark plugs and make sure they're still there... Still got gas? Does it make any backfire when you try to start it? Does the exhaust smell of gas when you try to start it? Any odd electrical issues when you flick the bike on? Was it raining that morning? Was your bike wet? Could there be water in the airbox?
thanks for your help...i got the back started but only when i put on the throttle as i start it but it wont idle and dies unless i am on the gas.

I don't see any leaks of oil, coolant or anything else.

There is a gas smell and the exhaust sounds lound and very "poppy" sort of like a back fire. It hasn't rained around hear for a few days and i haven't noticed any strange electrical issues.

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
there could be a ton of water in the gas tank that got sucked in all at once. if the gas tank is nearly empty, it might be a good idea to just drain it and put in fresh gas
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'm wondering how/why the smoke got blown up into his face though... water through the engine would come out the exhaust... only water or something else onto the outside like the engine casing or radiator would blow smoke up to the rider... i would think... unless it came out the wrong stroke through the carbs and out the airbox...

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #6
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
i'm wondering how/why the smoke got blown up into his face though... water through the engine would come out the exhaust... only water or something else onto the outside like the engine casing or radiator would blow smoke up to the rider... i would think... unless it came out the wrong stroke through the carbs and out the airbox...

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #7
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I just retrieved my bike which I parked a few blocks away from my house. It now sounds like a cheap version of a Harley and has about 25% of the power it typical has. It feels like I am hauling a horse trailer...

I have a feeling one of the cylinders is not functioning...

By the way after the initial puff of smoke I have not had any recurrance...no white smoke from exhaust or any where else.

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
good point on the smoke...

just for kicks, check that all the hoses on your carbs are connected properly. If the vaccum hoses come disconnected they can cause some issues with both cylinders functioning properly. ask me how i know...

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
another quick check. check the coolant level for sanity's sake

Old September 5th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the sound of an engine usually gives the problem away. are your headers attached securely?

Old September 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #11
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
good point on the smoke...

just for kicks, check that all the hoses on your carbs are connected properly. If the vaccum hoses come disconnected they can cause some issues with both cylinders functioning properly. ask me how i know...
Thank you for the suggestion. I just got this bike so I know nothing about it but two roughly 1" diameter hoses that lead out from the (i think) airbox are disconnected at the carberatur.

I can't get my fingers in there to reconnect them...how do I get at this?

Old September 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #12
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
another quick check. check the coolant level for sanity's sake
Coolant is full thanks

Old September 5th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
so the big black tubes that connect the carbs to the engine are loose?? is this what you're talking about?

Old September 5th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
so the big black tubes that connect the carbs to the engine are loose?? is this what you're talking about?

those are called the boots. to get those back on, take off the tank and kinda use the carbs and a free hand to wiggle the carbs and the boots back together

that would explain the bike running like crap, but not all that steam. and i don't think it would explain the weird sounds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Airbox1.jpg (181.3 KB, 11 views)

Old September 6th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #15
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:

those are called the boots. to get those back on, take off the tank and kinda use the carbs and a free hand to wiggle the carbs and the boots back together

that would explain the bike running like crap, but not all that steam. and i don't think it would explain the weird sounds
Thanks!

Have you come across a good Youtube video, or instructions for removing the gas tank? It seems pretty simple except how to prevent gas from spilling all over the place. Is there a shut off valve on the gas tank to allow for removal?

I got the initial puff of steam but nothing afterwards.

Old September 6th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
take off the seat, turn the petcock (fuel selector knob on the bottom left of the tank) to the "off" position disconnect the tubes from the bottom. Be careful, because the larger-diameter has fuel in it. take out the 4 bolts that connect the fairing to the tank, and take off the side panels (1 screw each and a few friction fittings that hold it on). Take out the two bolts that hold the tank to the frame. tank should be ok to take off. lay it in an old tire, or lean it up against a bucket, just make sure it's not going to slip and fall on the petcock and there's not weight on the petcock while it's sitting. This should give you full access to the carbs.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...l_tank,_etc%3F

this link has instructions and pictures. faq.ninja250.org is a good site to use for reference whenever working on your bike

*edit*
and this video looks like it's got the basics covered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcehizOSN8
*/edit*

Old September 6th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
When you do get to the carbs, loosen the clamps, then wiggle the carbs and boots and wrestle them back together. be sure to tighten the clamps that hold them on once you're done.

Old September 6th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #18
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
take off the seat, turn the petcock (fuel selector knob on the bottom left of the tank) to the "off" position disconnect the tubes from the bottom. Be careful, because the larger-diameter has fuel in it. take out the 4 bolts that connect the fairing to the tank, and take off the side panels (1 screw each and a few friction fittings that hold it on). Take out the two bolts that hold the tank to the frame. tank should be ok to take off. lay it in an old tire, or lean it up against a bucket, just make sure it's not going to slip and fall on the petcock and there's not weight on the petcock while it's sitting. This should give you full access to the carbs.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...l_tank,_etc%3F

this link has instructions and pictures. faq.ninja250.org is a good site to use for reference whenever working on your bike
This is perfect...thank you!

Old September 6th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #19
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
When you do get to the carbs, loosen the clamps, then wiggle the carbs and boots and wrestle them back together. be sure to tighten the clamps that hold them on once you're done.
Sounds good...thank you!

Old September 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
tell us how it goes.

Old September 6th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #21
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
tell us how it goes.
Will do and thanks again for your help!

Old September 8th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #22
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Just curious if you have any theories as to why the vacuum tubes came loose between the airbox and carbs. Could the engine have exhausted back through carbs and blown them off? I hope this isn't a larger issue !!

Old September 8th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #23
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
There is a gas smell and the exhaust sounds lound and very "poppy" sort of like a back fire.
From this sentence it sounds like the bike was/is running on one cylinder.

The odd "poppy" noise is coming from the cylinder that's still working. The EX-250 engine will run (at least idle really badly) on one cylinder and because you're used to what it sounds like on two cylinders it's very noticable and strange-sounding.

The gas smell is coming from the cylinder that's not firing. The carb is still putting fuel into the cylinder, but it's not getting burned so it's really going to stink.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #24
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Air Filter Ducts - Blow Out

This is a follow up to a thread I posted on Sunday after my bike suddenly died in downtown Boston.

I had been riding around the city when suddenly I found myself in puff of gray smoke from the motor and the bike sounding like a broken Harley. The bike quickly stalled out before I managed to roll it into an open parking spot.

Thanks to a couple good suggestions from members of this forum it was discovered that the two duct's that connect the airbox to the carb were partially disconnected at the carb. Its as if they just popped off under pressure.

This weekend I will hopefully have the time to reconnect the ducts. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Thank you!

Old September 9th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #25
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Youch! I hope that does fix the problem.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #26
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Ummmm... The broken Harley sound is scaring me. I'm pretty sure that won't be just an airbox disconnect...

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Right, it's hard to tell if that was the actual issue, or a symptom of a larger problem. Original thread here.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old September 9th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #28
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Right, it's hard to tell if that was the actual issue, or a symptom of a larger problem. Original thread here.
Hmmm... After reading threw that one, I'm wondering if he blew a spark plug out? That would explain the lose of power and the noise. May explain the smoke too. Thoughts?

Old September 9th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #29
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Hmmm... After reading threw that one, I'm wondering if he blew a spark plug out? That would explain the lose of power and the noise. May explain the smoke too. Thoughts?
Thanks I will check that out. One thing that I forgot to mention is that there has been no more white/gray smoke since that initial "event".

Old September 9th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #30
dubojr1

Keep us informed.

Old September 11th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #31
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Can't Re-install Spark Plug...

Last week I submitted a few posts as my bike broke down on Sunday.

It turns out that in addition to the duct from the airbox to the carb being disconnected, one of the spark plugs had popped out...which was probably the real problem.

Anyway I have been trying for several hours to reinstall the spark plug but I can't seem to catch the threads. I have tried looking down the hole where the spark plug goes and can't seem to se any obstructions.

Is there any trick to installing the spark plug?

Is it possible the threads were damaged when the plug initially popped out?

Thanks!

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #32
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

If the spark plug won't catch the threads, then there may not be any left in the head. (That would be why the plug blew out in the first place.)

Sorry, but it sounds like you have bigger problems...

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #33
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Well does the spark plug have threads left on it?

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #34
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT View Post
If the spark plug won't catch the threads, then there may not be any left in the head. (That would be why the plug blew out in the first place.)

Sorry, but it sounds like you have bigger problems...
I think you're probably right. I have no clue what to do except take it to a shop as taking the header off is above my pay grade!

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #35
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Well does the spark plug have threads left on it?
The spark plug threads look undamaged and if fine shape

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #36
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

****... yeah looks like the problem is a little bigger then you thought. Its not too hard to take the engine apart if you have the tools

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #37
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
****... yeah looks like the problem is a little bigger then you thought. Its not too hard to take the engine apart if you have the tools
Thanks. Have you come across any good guides for taking the motor apart? Do I need any special tools besides sockets?

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #38
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Shoot Ninja250 a PM, hes done my valves and I believe he did a video on the forum that shows how to take it all apart

Old September 11th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #39
Alex
ninjette.org dude

The spark plug blowing out was definitely the cause of that noise; the airbox disconnect may or may not have had anything to do with it.

Now is the time for helicoil or something similar to create new/stronger threads in the head. It's not a terribly complicated job, but it's not something that you want to get wrong either, so getting a second set of eyes on it might not be a bad idea.

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #40
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The spark plug blowing out was definitely the cause of that noise; the airbox disconnect may or may not have had anything to do with it.

Now is the time for helicoil or something similar to create new/stronger threads in the head. It's not a terribly complicated job, but it's not something that you want to get wrong either, so getting a second set of eyes on it might not be a bad idea.
Thanks for your help...I am going to have the local bike shop do a pick up tomorrow and take care of it. Hopefully that's the only thing wrong with it and they'll be able to fix it by the weekend without costing me a tone of money.