Old September 1st, 2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcyclistonline] - Lifeproof NUUD iPhone Case | MC TESTED

©Motorcyclist

Lifeform NUUD case for iPhone 5/5S

Annoyingly, as cell phones have evolved they’ve become more delicate. Thankfully LifeProof offers phone cases sturdy enough to satisfy the needs of most motorcyclists.

LifeProof boasts that the nüüd case for the iPhone 5/5s (cases for other models listed on the Lifeproof website) is waterproof (to 6.6 feet) and shockproof (able to sustain a drop from above your head). The audio and charging ports seal with a threaded plug and a hinged clasp (that also locks the case shut) respectively, and a thin membrane covers the phone’s home button.

The nüüd’s marquee feature is its “screenless” design, whereby the screen is sealed along the edges. This means the touchscreen is unhindered by a protective coating but also exposed and completely dependent on the seals. Despite raised eyebrows from my peers, the nüüd has proven completely waterproof in my testing, which includes riding in the rain with the phone mounted to the handlebar via LifeProof’s $40 bar mount.

A couple of notes on functionality: The Touch ID function of my iPhone—allowing your phone to unlock by reading your fingerprint—works through the membrane, but it’s shaky sometimes (and useless when wet, incidentally, but that’s not the case’s fault). The bar mount is a tidy design and worked well, except that a tapered handlebar can confuse the clamp for the mount. You’ll want a couple of inches of free bar space, preferably with no taper.

Overall, the nüüd has been great. Both the case and the bar mount install quickly, without tools, and work as advertised. What it boils down to is this: This case is like knobby tires for your ADV bike. It’s terrific in certain circumstances, but it’s not necessarily the best day-to-day option. I would still recommend it for anyone who’s serious about moto-adventures and/or weather protection, even if you only use it a few times a year for a couple of weeks at a time.

LIFEPROOF NÜÜD IPHONE CASE

PRICE: $90 (case only)

VERDICT: 7/10 STARS

Serious weather/adventure protection for the cost of a month of smartphone service.

More MC Tested, New Products and Gear HERE!

Click here for full story...