Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old October 21st, 2016, 12:12 AM   #1
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninjette ex 250

Another milestone -

Today, was the first time I have attempted a tight u turn and it was perfect. The right counter-steering and leaning and bam did it.

*I have made 10 right turns to avoid having to U-turn.

I was worried at first b/c I was not allowing myself to enjoy this process. instead I was stiff and so apprehensive about any decision that by the time i arrived at work, (10 min ride at the most ) I had exhausted myself physically and mentally, wondering 'how in the hell do I get used to this feeling?'

Thankful for this site, the members, advice and encouragement. Now, I am not exhausted, but almost exhilarated. Honestly look forward to riding it. Yeah...

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old October 21st, 2016, 05:46 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Tango89er
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '89 Ninja 250 (#3650)

Well done!
I was giving my bike a shakedown ride to make sure everything was mechanically fine under road conditions. Had to do a tight left hand turn (Aussie roads) and completely choked, went past the turn, pulled over to turn around and promptly stalled it.
Tango89er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2016, 08:25 AM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Good job! U-turns are a thing that freaks me out, too, though I have done some successfully. And one or two not so successfully....
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2016, 08:39 AM   #5
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I miss the exhilaration and adrenalin rush from of learning new skills.

Keep on keepin on!

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklenation View Post
Today, was the first time I have attempted a tight u turn and it was perfect...........Now, I am not exhausted, but almost exhilarated. Honestly look forward to riding it. Yeah...
Mastering U-turns:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...456#post639456

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2016, 11:53 PM   #7
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:02 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
When I first bought a motorcycle, I wanted to get skillful enough to take the license test on it. It was a 1972 Kawasaki H2, and I especially didn't want to fail the skills test on it, since it would evoke a lot of "I told you that bike is too big for a beginner" comments. Since the test was all low speed stuff, I did a lot of low speed maneuvering in parking lots and on the street in front of my house. I got to where I could do a figure-8 the hard way, across the street, without putting a foot down. The practice was worth it, and I did fine on the test.

I'm a big fan of practicing my weak areas until they're not weak. If tight U-turns are your current weak area, go somewhere safe and practice them. You can mark a parking lot or dead-end street with chalk or cardboard boxes, or anything handy, and repeat the U-turns, both right and left, until they're easy for you. It might take a week or two of 20 minutes a day, or something equivalent. Then move on to the next weakest link in your chain of riding skills.

One that comes to mind that's very important to practice is extreme stopping. I mean the kind that is likely to lift the rear wheel off the pavement, or close to it. That's one we all need to practice occasionally, to keep it automatic.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 4th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #9
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
When I first bought a motorcycle, I wanted to get skillful enough to take the license test on it. It was a 1972 Kawasaki H2, and I especially didn't want to fail the skills test on it, since it would evoke a lot of "I told you that bike is too big for a beginner" comments. Since the test was all low speed stuff, I did a lot of low speed maneuvering in parking lots and on the street in front of my house. I got to where I could do a figure-8 the hard way, across the street, without putting a foot down. The practice was worth it, and I did fine on the test.

I'm a big fan of practicing my weak areas until they're not weak. If tight U-turns are your current weak area, go somewhere safe and practice them. You can mark a parking lot or dead-end street with chalk or cardboard boxes, or anything handy, and repeat the U-turns, both right and left, until they're easy for you. It might take a week or two of 20 minutes a day, or something equivalent. Then move on to the next weakest link in your chain of riding skills.

One that comes to mind that's very important to practice is extreme stopping. I mean the kind that is likely to lift the rear wheel off the pavement, or close to it. That's one we all need to practice occasionally, to keep it automatic.

I totally agree. I am pretty good at extreme stopping. Though I have not lifted the rear tire yet. Perhaps this weekend I will utilize Angel Stadium parking lot for that. As for u-turns, they have only gotten easier. At least once a day I avoid a cell phone, texter or just plain oblivious driver. I just ride, watch everything and am courteous. I have no problem with yielding the right of way or letting somebody get in front of me, race in front of me at a light etc. I am just not in that much of a hurry, and I enjoy riding enough to just let it be.

Old November 4th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #10
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklenation View Post
I just ride, watch everything and am courteous. I have no problem with yielding the right of way or letting somebody get in front of me, race in front of me at a light etc. I am just not in that much of a hurry, and I enjoy riding enough to just let it be.
That's how I am, too. If you need to think you "won" somehow in traffic, I'll probably let you go, rather than let you put me in danger.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote