ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old May 17th, 2017, 04:08 PM   #41
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I'm taking two welding classes this summer. It's gonna be really really hot, but I guess that's real-world experience
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #42
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I'm taking two welding classes this summer. It's gonna be really really hot, but I guess that's real-world experience
Oh, the fun I'd have if I had a mig welder handy. All I have to say is I'd have some AWESOME storage in my garage.

Arc is nice, but ugh, so messy. The welds are awesome though. I always wanted to learn TIG welding, just never got around to it.

Good luck with the classes!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 26th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #43
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Ugh, musical dilemma. The $150 mouthpiece I got for my sax is leaving me gasping for air. Not because I'm throwing a lot of air in my saxophone, but because it isn't moving enough.

I feel like I'm having to force air into it. I can play for half a page, at a faster pace, in one breath. Then my body is craving air, and I have to exhale 1/2-1/3 of my residual lung capacity and draw in air again.

I have it down to two issues, embouchure and/or mouthpiece. If my embouchure is wrong, and I'm gripping the reed to tightly, that would reduce the airflow and make it tough. If if is the mouthpiece, then I need to invest in a new one. Unfortunately, it isn't like brass. If you know what you need, you just get it. Want to move air? Get one with a larger throat. Lower notes and more full sound, deeper cup. Sax is completely similar, yet different. You have the tip opening, chamber shape, throat, materials used, etc. Ugh. MONEY PIT. So I'm trying step 1, work on my embouchure and see where that gets me. Even if I have to play my jazz mouthpiece, I'll get it.

Side note, I'm getting close to finishing up my images from a shoot last month. I took a TON of images, and I'm finally seeing the end of the tunnel. Nothing to post here because they are going to be used in publications. Still, it is nice to come close to finishing a project, then I can clear my head and work on new ones.

Old June 10th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #44
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

A few weeks ago my wife had a colleague come in from the UK. We took him to the shooting range to try a nice assortment of pistols and a .22LR rimfire. I was limited on rifles because the range was indoors. The largest caliber is .223. My wife demanded that I sell my old AR ages ago, so I did (my favorite target rifle ever). Because of this, I didn't have the AR to shoot.

Well, that made me realize how much I missed shooting. One problem with that, it gets expensive, QUICK. Yesterday I had some free time, so I took my spring-piston .177 break barrel air rifle to the range. This rifle is a challenge to shoot consistently. It takes a light grip on the rifle and to let it do what it wants when it shoots. You don't shoulder it like a deer rifle, or even an AR. VERY LIGHT.

I also recently acquired a Sig Sauer P226 CO2 .177 BB/Pellet pistol. THAT IS FUN. I had to break it in some, but once it did, it got addictive quick. Considering it runs $100 brand new, a steal for a solid blow back pistol. I also grabbed two spare mags for $15 and 50 CO2 cartridges for $30.

My rifle was $80 new when I got it ages ago (Remington Express .177), and I got a grouping in standing position of about 4 inches @ 25yds on iron sights (which are so far off it isn't even funny, I ran out of adjustments). I need a scope to get better accuracy, since the sights are useless. I have a scope on my newer Benjamin Trail NP2 ($150) break barrel gas-piston .22 pellet rifle. That scope will go on the Remington, and a new scope coming in will go on the NP2.

I'm sticking with air guns because if I shoot my non-CO2 rifles/pistols, I am only paying for ammo and whatever I use to clean them after. A tin of 500 pellets runs $10, which is WAAAY cheaper than 9mm ammo, or even .22LR.

Rather decent .177 pellets are about $0.02 per pellet. I can find cheaper at 1.2-cents ea.
.22LR in bulk is 6-cents ea
9mm bulk is about 30-cents ea
etc

The CO2 pistol comes out to about $2 to shoot 64rds. One 12g CO2 cylinder runs 4-mags. So that is $0.72 plus $1.28 for 64 pellets, which is $2 per 64 shots. Not bad for a little CO2 pistol. To shoot my .22 revolver would run me about $3.84 to shoot the same amount. So yeah, I'm sold on this air gun thing. Plus, I hope to hunt with it later on. Nothing big, maybe some Dove to eat for a single meal. Possibly some squirrel. I just need to renew my license. Still need a decent amount of range time first.

Old September 6th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #45
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

The gulf coast of Texas is in clean up mode right now.

I'm trying to right my brain from that stress of possibly flooding by playing a ton of music. Not iPod, but sax and flute. Been on a flute kick lately. So I'm working on that quite a bit. The sax gets played here and there right now. I find that swapping back and fourth helps. It seems easier when I go back to it. Like my brain learned something even when I wasn't playing. I guess it is like an absorption period and you let the thoughts settle, then you are ready to go. Right now, with flute, I'm just trying to concentrate on relaxing my hands. I grip it too tightly. Plus, relaxed hands means better and quicker response on the keys.

So that is what is going on here.

Old September 6th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #46
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I have always wanted to pick up on the piano or guitar but lack the motivation to try. The only instrument I ever played was a flutophone back in grade school. My wife didn't believe me there was such an instrument since she had a "recorder" in her school. I guess you could equate it to a fancier flutophone

I'm trying to eek out some free time to wrench on my truck (Nissan Pathfinder). I have the bottom end out to regrind the crank for new oversized bearings after my oil pump (rebuild with a bad used pump) crapped on me.

Old September 7th, 2017, 06:50 AM   #47
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I have always wanted to pick up on the piano or guitar but lack the motivation to try. The only instrument I ever played was a flutophone back in grade school. My wife didn't believe me there was such an instrument since she had a "recorder" in her school. I guess you could equate it to a fancier flutophone

I'm trying to eek out some free time to wrench on my truck (Nissan Pathfinder). I have the bottom end out to regrind the crank for new oversized bearings after my oil pump (rebuild with a bad used pump) crapped on me.
They have several apps out there that help with learning piano and guitar. Easier than ever to learn. I've been selling my guitars. They collect dust now. Haven't had desire to play them in over 5-years. Years before I was ripping Metallica solos like it was nothing. I don't have the patience to get back to that status. It would be too frustrating for me. I sold my 5-string bass, and now working on selling my Kirk Hammett ESP. My little brother mentioned he wanted to buy it. Maybe I'll check back in with him about it.

Old September 15th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #48
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Oh resettling myself back in the States after bouncing around for a year. Really started to hit the dirt bike trails hard recently and have finally seen my skills start to improve there.

Otherwise I picked up rock climbing a couple months back and now have a gym I'm excited to go to!

Old September 16th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #49
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Rock climbing is fun.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2017, 07:53 AM   #50
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Rock climbing is fun.
I've always found it interesting. The most climbing I did was on a 15ft (or so) rock wall that kept moving. I never got more than 8-10 feet off the ground, but it was a challenge....and the wall allowed zero breaks. lol

Old November 7th, 2017, 10:15 AM   #51
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I like jumping off of rocks & cliffs. Makes the effort of climbing them worth it!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #52
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I've been working on getting my mother's vacant house ready to be rented out to help defer the cost of her memory care treatment for Alzheimer's/dementia. First my brother and I had to have our deadbeat nephew evicted which was a long and painful process. Now we have been cleaning, moving out stuff, painting, removing carpeting and repairing floors. It has been a lot of work with still a lot to do as we still have the other half of the large house to work on.

Old March 3rd, 2018, 12:17 PM   #53
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
I like jumping off of rocks & cliffs. Makes the effort of climbing them worth it!
Same here! I'm a big adrenaline junky but have had to cut back on it for the wife's sake

Old March 3rd, 2018, 04:34 PM   #54
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Went to Johnny Lewis flat track school two weekends ago, Roebling last weekend, Sebring this weekend, bike week next weekend.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 4th, 2018, 11:52 AM   #55
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Same here! I'm a big adrenaline junky but have had to cut back on it for the wife's sake
For one of my birthdays, my wife took us skydiving!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2018, 12:29 PM   #56
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I'm tempted to do skydiving, but also not very interested in it. LOL