ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old April 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #41
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablos991 View Post
I'm confused... You rode your bike while the hugger was rubbing on the middle of the tire and didn't notice in time to not ruin the tire?!

I would think that the very first thing to do when installing a larger tire would be to inspect fitment before ever getting on the bike and placing your life in it's hands.
No. I trimmed the sides that rubbed the edges of the tire then test fit again. Then while inspecting the clearances, i decide to rotate the wheel to make sure it dont rub. And damn, it rubs
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:11 AM   #42
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Man, back in my day a hugger cost a heck of a lot more than $11 (end old man voice).

If I still had my 250 I would be all over this. Always wanted something to keep the dirt and water off the shock area, just didn't want to spend the price for the aftermarket huggers.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #43
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablos991 View Post
I'm confused... You rode your bike while the hugger was rubbing on the middle of the tire and didn't notice in time to not ruin the tire?!

I would think that the very first thing to do when installing a larger tire would be to inspect fitment before ever getting on the bike and placing your life in it's hands.
He's saying that he wasted money on the tire not because it's ruined, but because he can't use it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #44
Gorilla25
Dakine...

yep. sure wasted money on that damn hugger on a better note, my CBR one should be in sometime this week

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #45
mkulchar
ninjette.org member

Name: matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
I ordered one from my local dealership yesterday for $12. If people are interested, I'll make a video of the install when I get it.
Just wondering if you got the hugger yet and made that video of the install?
mkulchar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #46
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post
yep. sure wasted money on that damn hugger on a better note, my CBR one should be in sometime this week
That is good news for someone here. I just noticed a CBR250 in the parking lot. If someone covers the price of shipping I will send you the hugger off of it haha
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #47
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Hahahaha....i actually ordered one from the dealer last week. They called an hr ago so after the gym, im gonna pick it up and install it. If im not lazy, I'll do a vid on it

Old April 25th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #48
mkulchar
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hahahaha....i actually ordered one from the dealer last week. They called an hr ago so after the gym, im gonna pick it up and install it. If im not lazy, I'll do a vid on it
Horay for video! Dont get lazy! Help us brothers and sisters out. Lol

Old April 25th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #49
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkulchar View Post
Horay for video! Dont get lazy! Help us brothers and sisters out. Lol

Sorry. I attempted to make a video but the quality sucks. too much wind and cant hear my voice clearly. but i did make a DIY that may be more clear to understand.

DIY: CBR 250 Hugger install on 08+ Ninja 250r

i hope you folks like it

@Alex: if you want to link my DIY to the list of DIYs, feel free to do so

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #50
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/linked

nice work!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #51
mkulchar
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sorry. I attempted to make a video but the quality sucks. too much wind and cant hear my voice clearly. but i did make a DIY that may be more clear to understand.

DIY: CBR 250 Hugger install on 08+ Ninja 250r

i hope you folks like it

@Alex: if you want to link my DIY to the list of DIYs, feel free to do so

Awsome! Alot of info and very discriptive. Thanks a ton man! Good work

Old April 26th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #52
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Old April 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #53
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
yeah that looks great! I'll using that as a guideline when I install mine later because your pictures are so awesome.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #54
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Still didn't get mine

Thanks for the DIY though!
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #55
joshuajcrouch
ninjette.org member

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

This is my first post and my first mod Just ordered from the local Honda dealership for $13. Should be here this Thursday.
joshuajcrouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #56
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajcrouch View Post
This is my first post and my first mod Just ordered from the local Honda dealership for $13. Should be here this Thursday.
Welcome to the forums! You'll likely enjoy it! Just takes a little grinding, sanding and hacking and it'll fit right in there!

Old April 28th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #57
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Got my hugger in from 2WheelPros.com yesterday. Hopefully I'll have some time to put it on tomorrow
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #58
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Name: Artie

Motorcycle(s): Stuff

How in the world are you guys getting these for so cheap? It's 60+ tax here in Canada from a dealer...

Old February 15th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #59
mkulchar
ninjette.org member

I got mine from a kawi dealer in Ontario,Niagara and it was 23$ or something close to that.

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:36 AM   #60
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Bump on this one.

I did this the other day and could not be happier with the way it turned out. I did very little cutting and it literally fit like it was made for the ninja250. Super secure, I was able to hide all of my zip ties to the point you would never even notice them.

Anyone looking for a hugger on the cheap or even not on the cheap this is a great option.

Ill try and get some pics up soon to show what I ended up doing. I described it in the cbr250 hugger DIY

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #61
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
finally took some pics of my cbr hugger.

Last pic shows how i zip tied it on the right side. I like this way better than putting zip tie around swing arm at this position.

I cut a little off this piece and that was about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1497.jpg (113.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1498.jpg (141.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1501.jpg (61.2 KB, 73 views)

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old May 21st, 2014, 05:56 PM   #62
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

I'm giving this a bump cause it's a great mod.

I got one of these off a local Honda dealer for $23 and then put it on with some zip ties.

For now I only made one small cut to get it in the chain guard guide but I might make more later.

Old June 1st, 2014, 07:01 AM   #63
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Name: Crash dummy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg2077 View Post
I'm giving this a bump cause it's a great mod.

I got one of these off a local Honda dealer for $23 and then put it on with some zip ties.

For now I only made one small cut to get it in the chain guard guide but I might make more later.
Thanks for bumping this. I've been searching for a good hugger that isn't super expensive.
Totally just ordered me one.
MrSavvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2014, 09:11 PM   #64
NinjaZX6R123
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ninja

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX6R, 2009 Ninja 250R

Yeah, this is a great mod that doesn't cost a lot. Easy to install and no mod needed to make it fit. It's straight plug and play. Not sure why some had to cut to make room for chain clearance, but I didn't have to do anything and it fits perfect.
NinjaZX6R123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 05:46 AM   #65
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
The EX300 has a chainguard/hugger that's an almost-bolt-on, and only $30 from Partzilla.

Just drill and tap (M6) two extra holes on top of the swingarm and it bolts right on (see the silver socket cap screws in the first pic). In addition to the mini-hugger, it also has a notch where the front of the tire comes near the chainguard, if you want to run bigger tires.

The hugger is 36014-0555 and the two additional screws on top of the swingarm are 92154-0918. Or you could use double-sided tape or zip-ties to hold it on, if you don't want to add those holes (it's probably much harder with the swingarm installed on the bike).

It's obviously got a much smaller fender section, so I'm sure some people may not like it as well. However, it's a direct fit on the stock chainguard tabs and just a bit of extra securing on the other side/front. A little better in some ways, a little worse in others. Just another option that some may like...

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 05:58 AM   #66
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaZX6R123 View Post
Yeah, this is a great mod that doesn't cost a lot. Easy to install and no mod needed to make it fit. It's straight plug and play. Not sure why some had to cut to make room for chain clearance, but I didn't have to do anything and it fits perfect.
I don't think you have to cut anything but if you want the best fit/alignment and for it to look a little cleaner it pays to trim a the one end off the right side and notch the one inside piece so it fits in the OEM chain guard tab.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:52 AM   #67
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
The EX300 has a chainguard/hugger that's an almost-bolt-on, and only $30 from Partzilla.

Just drill and tap (M6) two extra holes on top of the swingarm and it bolts right on (see the silver socket cap screws in the first pic). In addition to the mini-hugger, it also has a notch where the front of the tire comes near the chainguard, if you want to run bigger tires.

The hugger is 36014-0555 and the two additional screws on top of the swingarm are 92154-0918. Or you could use double-sided tape or zip-ties to hold it on, if you don't want to add those holes (it's probably much harder with the swingarm installed on the bike).

It's obviously got a much smaller fender section, so I'm sure some people may not like it as well. However, it's a direct fit on the stock chainguard tabs and just a bit of extra securing on the other side/front. A little better in some ways, a little worse in others. Just another option that some may like...
I like it. That also gives you the option of using aftermarket huggers for the 300 that have a slightly taller profile to catch more debris that's thrown at the shock.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 10:59 AM   #68
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I like it. That also gives you the option of using aftermarket huggers for the 300 that have a slightly taller profile to catch more debris that's thrown at the shock.
Yup, aftermarket 300 huggers should fit on the 250 swingarm ok. The 300 swingarm has those two extra holes that you might need to add, depending on how the aftermarket one is secured. The 300 swingarm has another brake hose bracket toward the front, but that shouldn't be an issue unless the aftermarket hugger uses some weird method of hooking into that. Something made for the 250 (or these modified CBR/Byson parts) might interfere with the 300's extra bracket if you were going the other way though.

The hole on the arm uses a riv-nut (92210-1397), but I was able to simply drill and tap it directly in the top of the arm. It might not be a bad idea to use a riv-nut if you're putting on an aftermarket hugger that's bigger/heavier though. The one up front is just a tapped hole in the bracing around the shock opening.

Oh yeah, there is one other change I almost forgot about. The 300 piece sits flat on the swingarm where the 250's chainguard slot is. I ripped that whole slot-bracket off my swingarm. You might need to trim the 300 piece or finagle things a bit if you want it to fit without removing that. The screw in front takes the place of the slot in securing that section of the plastic.

My 500 has an inner fender that comes down quite low toward the swingarm, rather than a pretty undertail. The 300 chainguard/hugger was a nearly-PnP item that took care of the chainguard, plus gave a bit of extra protection for my shock, while looking a little cooler. For my unique situation, I think it's one of the best options, plus it's cheap and easy. If I find an aftermarket 300 hugger that I really like, maybe I'll upgrade in the future.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:50 AM   #69
NinjaZX6R123
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ninja

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX6R, 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
I don't think you have to cut anything but if you want the best fit/alignment and for it to look a little cleaner it pays to trim a the one end off the right side and notch the one inside piece so it fits in the OEM chain guard tab.
Ah.. gotcha. I ended up giving the CBR hugger to a friend and bought me an aftermarket one that bolts on both sides and looks awesome. Of course, it cost me $200 instead of $30 though.
NinjaZX6R123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2015, 06:29 AM   #70
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Name: Butch

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I know this is an older thread, but I'm in the process of working on this mod.. It's colder than you know what, and I've gotta do something to keep myself occupied until the warm weather comes around again..

Rather than follow the DIY step by step, I'm using it as a guide to see if I can work out any options on the installation that I might like better in the long run.. I'll post some pictures when I'm done.. Hopefully, it won't look like crap.. LOL!!
FBR_BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2015, 09:48 AM   #71
ryker
chaos theory

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r SE ; 2007 ZZR600

Thanks, I wanted something that would be low cost and would fit my 150 rear tire.

Old February 1st, 2015, 01:03 PM   #72
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Name: Butch

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Let's just say that my first attempt at painting the hugger did not go as planned.. LOL!! Everything looked good as far as lines are concerned, but the paint application itself and the color were less than desirable.. LOL!! Plenty of time before riding season is here, so, I'll be back at it again in a day or so.. NEVER GIVE UP!! Hahah..
FBR_BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #73
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I'd be interested to know how well this hugger works at keeping dirt and grit off the bike; particularly the suspension.

Old May 4th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #74
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
@akima very well. Ill take some pictures when I get home.

I have an gsxr shock on my bike and I had to cut a portion of the OEM battery box/mud guard off the bottom to make the gsxr shock fit so there is even less protection down there than normal on my bike and my rear shock stays nice and clean.

It has been dirty here as of late as well so it is pretty obvious that the hugger keeps that area of the bike clean. As far as the undertail area... not as much but the hugger doesn't extend that far out over top of the tire so that is expected or at least not a surprise.

Old May 4th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #75
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
^ thanks! Good to know. I think the ninjette looks better with a hugger, but I'm really after functionality in this case. Really wish I had bought a hugger much earlier on. So expensive though. Cheapest I can get one designed for the ninjette is £70 ($106). If I can pick up this honda hugger as cheap as you guys have found it in the states I will be very happy!

Old May 4th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #76
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Typically the cheapest way to get the Honda hugger is from a dealer as you won't have to pay shipping on it. Just go to Honda dealer and have them get you one in, should be under $30 bucks give or take. If you buy one off ebay it will be $20-$30 and then another $15 or more for shipping.

Ill take some pictures of what I did to make it work as well to make things a little more clear. I have done a few write ups about it here and in other threads involving this cbr250 rear hugger

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=1099

Old May 4th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #77
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
as promised. Don't mind the odd look to the photos, i didn't realize till after that it was on "fisheye" setting

So first some pictures of my dirty bike and then some pictures of exactly what i did. You can see all the dirt on my undertail and where it kind gets to be less and it is more dripping down than getting coated there. The shock is pretty clean compared to everything else, you can see how much of the battery box/undertail mud flap i had to cut as well

My tire is really not that square... despite past pictures of my tires, it is the whole camera setting thing

Ok so what i did and i like it

I did not cut anything off of the chain side front of the hugger, i just let it hang down on this side of the swingarm, you can't even notice and it helps keep everything away from the chain

Here is one of the two things i cut. This is the inside corner. I cut this little bit to get it to sit in the OEM chain guard tab that stick up off the swingarm. This really helps keep things in place and it fits snug into the tab. highly recommended

Now on the brake side. I cut a little bit off the end so it sits flush with the brake line holder (little metal wire type piece) Then i drill one small hole at the end to put a zip tie to connect to the brake line holder. I then used the orginal hole in the hugger here to put another zip tie from that hole to the brake line above as well. If you do everything right this side of the hugger will line up very well with the swing arm.

The last thing i do is put a zip tie up front on the brake side. There is a hole there in the hugger already, i just put the zip tie through that hole and around the swing arm. You can see that zip tie here behind my rearset but with everything going on here it is hard to see unless you are really looking for it Again if this is done right it will keep this side of the hugger pretty much in perfect alignment with the swingarm, it looks really clean

another shot of that zip tie

and one more close up

any questions please feel free to ask. I think i cut most of this stuff with either a hacksaw or cutting dykes

Old May 4th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #78
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
My tire is really not that square... despite past pictures of my tires, it is the whole camera setting thing
Are you sure?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2015, 12:50 PM   #79
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
@subxero - Holy f*** dude! That's so much info. Thanks for taking the time to do that. Very useful. I can also see from your pics that the mud is largely being kept off the important stuff. Thanks

(also - looking at your fluid reservoir, I can tell you've got some kind of funky lens/effect on)

Old May 28th, 2019, 01:37 PM   #80
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Put my spin on this as zip ties aren’t my thing. Small clearances to left rear right rear and front right corners like mentioned here. Cut the loop tab on the back of the hugger off. Notch the front left to SIT IN the ninja swingarm pinch guide not clear it

Cut off ninja oem front left bracket. Install left rear bolt and put hugger in pinch. This gives you location to weld the bracket you just cut off to the right rear (you will need to cut the front of the brake hose bracket a little. Once tacked in make/find a new front right bracket and tack in (I had a bunch of m6 captured nuts from Honda’s from my time working there, I believe they are license plate nuts. Finally go to front left and weld a m6 x 30mm coupler nut to the swingarm (a regular m6 nut doesn’t give enough clearance to the swingarm maybe you could stack 3 regular nuts?).

Finish weld, clean, paint, find two more shoulder bolts and install what now appears factory. You have a little bit of final adjustment ability by bending your brackets and leaving the bolts loose the tabs are slotted a little.
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote