ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #1
rph12
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Turn signal mounting plate replacing...HELP

So, long story short...someone hit my bike with a basketball the other day, cracking the front right turn signal mounting plate and leaving the turn signal hanging. I already got the replacement part, but I can't figure out how to take the old plate off to put the new one on. It seems like you have to pull the whole wire out and string it through the new one then run it back. Can anyone confirm this? And if so, I can't seem to find a DIY guide for this type of project.

Thanks all
rph12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to pre-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Sounds about right. Just unplug the old wires and put on the new signal and plug it in. Simple as that.

By the sounds of it, I bet your 'damaged turn signal' was fine. They are made to pop out of the mount on impacts. You can just pop it back in there. Mine has come out of the mounting bracket twice and both times I could just pop it back in.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #4
rph12
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Sounds about right. Just unplug the old wires and put on the new signal and plug it in. Simple as that.

By the sounds of it, I bet your 'damaged turn signal' was fine. They are made to pop out of the mount on impacts. You can just pop it back in there. Mine has come out of the mounting bracket twice and both times I could just pop it back in.

It would not pop back it. My main question is "how do I get the wire out/back in?". That's the part I don't understand.
rph12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #5
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

When I replaced mine, I took the fairing off, removed old broken one
ran wire through hole and routed new one in place on inside of fairing
remounted fairing and connected signal quick connect
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

The signal consists of a plastic mounting plate, a rubber inner stalk, then the bulb housing itself. The rubber inner stalk is clamped to the opening in the mounting plate with a metal plate held in place with a screw. Removing that screw and clamping plate reveals another metal plate that the screw inserts into. The wiring harness threads through that inner plate. Down inside the rubber stalk is another small metal plate that holds the plastic bulb housing onto the other end of the rubber stalk.

Contrary to popular belief, the turn signal is *not* designed to come off in a crash. It's designed to be flexible so that minor bumps against walls, etc, won't break the signal housing. It's not uncommon for the rubber inner stalk to actually tear in a crash. If it comes out without tearing then the reassembly process is to remove the metal plates in the fairing-end of the rubber stalk, insert the rubber stalk back into the mounting plate, then insert the metal plate and clamping plate, followed by the retaining screw. Then the assembled turn signal is reinstalled on the fairing.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote