ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 26th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Danger factor. Pedalbike vs Motorcycle

I'm taking a break from the Ninja, so I decided to fix my pedalbike to get my fix, as well as some exercise. I haven't ridden the pedalbike since I got my motorcycle license, or my car license for that matter, and I'm amazed at the differences. I feel incredibly vunerable on the pedalbike, and generally more afraid of cars and I feel like I'm going to be hit much more. People are MUCH less considerate of pedalbikes than motorcycles. I took two long trips today, some parts on the road, some parts on the sidewalk, and I would have felt much more comfortable on the Ninja. I know some of you folks pedal, too. What are your thoughts on this?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2015, 10:39 PM   #2
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Depends on the area. In NYC, there are so many cyclists that car drivers actually (kinda) look out for cyclists. But outside the populated areas, in more residential areas, there are less cyclists and drivers aren't usually as alert.

I commuted to work for a few years on a bicycle. Even during winter. It was only a 12 mile ride each way. But I found that the skills I developed as a cyclist (street smarts and reading traffic) helps me be a more proficient motorcyclist.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:10 AM   #3
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Bicycles are way more dangerous than motorcycles. I have ridden both forever and even went about ten years without a car. It's all about managing risk. You are responsible for your own life. The cars usually don't want to kill you. But like rocks rolling down a hill. If you get in front of one its a problem.
Riding a motorcycle is not safe. But neither is taking a bath in a slippery tub. But we manage risk. It's the same on a bicycle. Just be careful and play in traffic.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 27th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #4
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Bicycles are way more dangerous than motorcycles.
Amen, Brother Eric.

On a pedal bike, you're less visible, wearing less protective gear, with much worse brakes, and with a much greater speed differential than the surrounding traffic.

Be careful out there!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #5
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Having rode both bicycles and motorcycles quite a bit in city traffic, I would agree that bicycles are more vulnerable.