Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:11 AM   #1
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Sweet justice.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_...uses-community

ROYAL PALM BEACH, Fla. -- A 19-year-old is dead after an early morning shooting in Royal Palm Beach Thursday.

According to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, at around 4:30 a.m., a group of suspects stole a pick-up truck from the Royal Village Townhouse community.

After stealing the pick-up truck, the suspects went to a different area in the community and attempted to steal a motorcycle at on 139 Sparrow Drive, PBSO reports.

As they were attempting to load it onto the truck, the bike's owner woke up to his dog barking. From his second-story window, he saw what was happening.

That's when he says one of the victims pointed what looked like a weapon at him. So he grabbed his gun and shot 19-year-old Benjy Young, killing him.

Young has an extensive criminal record -- including an arrest in July of 2010 for homicide. Deputies are now on the hunt for the other suspects who fled the scene.

"[We] still got two others that are on the loose, and they could be lookin' at felony murder charges because they were committing a crime that ended in death, so that charge could fit them," said Deputy Eric Davis.

Currently, no charges are being filed against the motorcycle owner. Davis says this was a matter of protecting his property and protecting himself.

Young's body has been taken to the medical examiner.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:28 AM   #2
oreX
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2013 636 - ABS

Did a search of the guys name, found this.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/cr...me-806815.html
oreX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM   #3
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Sympathy = none.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:29 AM   #4
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

A friend of mine was gunned down in his driveway many years ago, an outstanding example of a human being who was loved and respected by all that knew him. I'm sure someone somewhere took pleasure in his death, one of those is on death row now.

I've seen too much death up close and personal to be able to take any pleasure in it, no matter who it was that died and no matter the circumstances of their death. To do otherwise would make me no better than the person who pulled the trigger and ended my friend's life.

Note, and it's really sad that I have to say this and spell it out here, I'm not supporting or agreeing with the criminal's actions, nor am I disagreeing with or attacking the actions of the person defending his property in this tragic situation. Anyone who would claim otherwise is mistaken.

This was a tragic situation, as is the death of any human being. The young man, teenager, had a mother and father who presumably loved him and are grieving their loss. Perhaps he had brothers and sisters who cared for him as well. He made some really bad choices, decisions that led to the end of his life. I, for one, make the conscious choice to not celebrate his death or to feel pleasure in his killing. I feel sadness for his mistakes, and feel sorry for those who achieve pleasure in his death.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #5
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
A friend of mine was gunned down in his driveway many years ago, an outstanding example of a human being who was loved and respected by all that knew him. I'm sure someone somewhere took pleasure in his death, one of those is on death row now.

I've seen too much death up close and personal to be able to take any pleasure in it, no matter who it was that died and no matter the circumstances of their death. To do otherwise would make me no better than the person who pulled the trigger and ended my friend's life.

Note, and it's really sad that I have to say this and spell it out here, I'm not supporting or agreeing with the criminal's actions, nor am I disagreeing with or attacking the actions of the person defending his property in this tragic situation. Anyone who would claim otherwise is mistaken.

This was a tragic situation, as is the death of any human being. The young man, teenager, had a mother and father who presumably loved him and are grieving their loss. Perhaps he had brothers and sisters who cared for him as well. He made some really bad choices, decisions that led to the end of his life. I, for one, make the conscious choice to not celebrate his death or to feel pleasure in his killing. I feel sadness for his mistakes, and feel sorry for those who achieve pleasure in his death.
So you are of course against the death penalty for the person who killed your friend?

Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

1 dead violent criminal = approx. 60k saving in your state's budget, more than enough to put a child through school from 1st through 12th grade, probably through 2 more yrs. community college even.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:47 AM   #7
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreX View Post
Did a search of the guys name, found this.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/cr...me-806815.html
damn wish he would have gotten all four of them. There is no place in the world for people like that. Its sad, and I wish people could change, but they obviously had not, and most likely will not. A death is cheaper than the tax payers paying for pieces of crap to live in prison.....

*edit
Just saw @"A" 's post thats exactly what Im saying as well..
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:05 PM   #8
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
So you are of course against the death penalty for the person who killed your friend?
Nope, not against it at all. Where did you get the erroneous idea that I would be? I'm curious as to your reasoning and thought process that arrived at that conclusion.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:40 PM   #9
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

wow.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:48 PM   #10
CynicalC

Quote:
Nope, not against it at all. Where did you get the erroneous idea that I would be? I'm curious as to your reasoning and thought process that arrived at that conclusion.
Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250
I've seen too much death up close and personal to be able to take any pleasure in it, no matter who it was that died and no matter the circumstances of their death
Herpa derp. ¯\(ツ)/¯

That was easy...

Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I dunno. There's still a wide gap between understanding something to be necessary, and taking pleasure in it.

Personally, I won't be shedding many tears for the miscreants described in the first post.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:08 PM   #12
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Well...

Herpa derp. ¯\(ツ)/¯

That was easy...
You need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. My sentence that you quoted said that I take no pleasure in the deaths of others, it did not say that I'm against the death penalty imposed upon my friend's murderer. You're creating something out of nothing when you claim otherwise. Now, the interesting bit is, will you be able to admit you made a mistake when reading what I wrote?

Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:28 PM   #13
CynicalC

Quote:
You need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. My sentence that you quoted said that I take no pleasure in the deaths of others, it did not say that I'm against the death penalty imposed upon my friend's murderer. You're creating something out of nothing when you claim otherwise. Now, the interesting bit is, will you be able to admit you made a mistake when reading what I wrote?
Well you would consider the death penalty for the person who killed your friend to be justice then, right? I consider this news story to be the same.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM   #14
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

Quote:
Well you would consider the death penalty for the person who killed your friend to be justice then, right? I consider this news story to be the same.
Justice and taking pleasure are still two very different things.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I spare no sympathy for those guilty but at the same time, retaliative justice does not equal pleasure. To me this story is a case of a violent life met with a violent end.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Damnit Reddit!...i was looking for the upvote aarow ...just realize im in Ninjette.org
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 01:45 PM   #17
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe531 View Post
Well I didn't see anyone "taking pleasure" in this, in any post prior to his. So I assume he was referring to my thread title and replied accordingly.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:38 PM   #18
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Well I didn't see anyone "taking pleasure" in this, in any post prior to his. So I assume he was referring to my thread title and replied accordingly.
You assumed incorrectly.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM   #19
CynicalC

Quote:
You assumed incorrectly.
Well then what were you referring to?

Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:59 PM   #20
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe531 View Post
the proper would to describe the feeling would be "satisfaction"

I am satisfied that justice was served however, I never take pleasure in the death of another human being.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:10 PM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
If this was in California the title would read, "Young 19yr old boy viscously gunned down by bitter motorcycle rider"
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM   #22
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Gotta love FLA. You never know who is packing

Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:17 PM   #23
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Well then what were you referring to?
I was referring to the actual story posted in the body of your post, reflecting that it's a tragedy that a kid (and from my point of view/age, he was definitely a kid) wound up getting himself killed due to really bad decisions and choices. Not only that, but the property owner likely will have to deal with mental consequences as well, because only a true psychopath could kill someone and not be bothered by it at all, IMHO.

I know people who have taken the lives of others through no fault of their own, it changed them. I've had the opportunity to end a life of a burglar in circumstances that would have left me legally off the hook completely, and I chose not to because I didn't want that on my conscious even though it would have been completely justified. Few people are presented with that choice in their lives, and fewer still truly know how they will react, or truly understand what the results will be.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM   #24
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I was referring to the actual story posted in the body of your post, reflecting that it's a tragedy that a kid (and from my point of view/age, he was definitely a kid) wound up getting himself killed due to really bad decisions and choices. Not only that, but the property owner likely will have to deal with mental consequences as well, because only a true psychopath could kill someone and not be bothered by it at all, IMHO.

I know people who have taken the lives of others through no fault of their own, it changed them. I've had the opportunity to end a life of a burglar in circumstances that would have left me legally off the hook completely, and I chose not to because I didn't want that on my conscious even though it would have been completely justified. Few people are presented with that choice in their lives, and fewer still truly know how they will react, or truly understand what the results will be.
From what you just said, I think you'll appreciate the words from this guy:

Link to original page on YouTube.

You have to watch quite a bit to get his points.

Interesting video.

akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:41 PM   #25
CynicalC

Quote:

tragedy not found

Sorry but I think you're alone on this one, at least mostly.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM   #26
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
tragedy not found

Sorry but I think you're alone on this one, at least mostly.
You're entitled to your opinion, of course, regardless of how meaningful it may or may not be.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:31 PM   #27
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
If this was in California the title would read, "Young 19yr old boy viscously gunned down by bitter motorcycle rider"
So much truth it makes me sad.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM   #28
CynicalC

Well I just want to know why you would support the death of one criminal and not another? Is it only because of the personal connection with the one on death row? Or is it because you believe so deeply in the judicial system and due process of law?

Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:37 PM   #29
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Well I just want to know why you would support the death of one criminal and not another? Is it only because of the personal connection with the one on death row? Or is it because you believe so deeply in the judicial system and due process of law?
I dont think thats what he's saying. I think he's just saying that any loss of life is tragic, and that the young man made poor choices which is also unfortunate and thats why he lost his life.... I think thats what he is trying to say. Which for the most part I agree. Death of a young man is always sad, but the choices he was making were foolish and were bound to catch up with him.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:43 PM   #30
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
I dont think thats what he's saying. I think he's just saying that any loss of life is tragic
Well you can't say you support the death penalty, and then say any loss of life under any circumstances is tragic. So I'll wait for his answer.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:17 PM   #31
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
You keep making the false assumption that I don't "support" the death of one criminal over another. That's you attempting to make it seem like I said something which in fact I did not say.

I don't know how else to make it clear to you because it seems you're seeing words that I do not write.

And, I'm not going to go for your bait, I have no interest in conversion with anyone on the level being invited above. Sorry.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #32
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
I dont think thats what he's saying. I think he's just saying that any loss of life is tragic, and that the young man made poor choices which is also unfortunate and thats why he lost his life.... I think thats what he is trying to say. Which for the most part I agree. Death of a young man is always sad, but the choices he was making were foolish and were bound to catch up with him.
You pretty much got it in one. Thanks for understanding what I wrote without trying to turn it into some political debate shitefest.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM   #33
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Well you can't say you support the death penalty, and then say any loss of life under any circumstances is tragic. So I'll wait for his answer.
Im going to disagree with you here. I think loss of life is always tragic. But that being said, did he choose his own fate? You betcha. This young man (seemingly more than once) made poor life choices, and had no regards for others lives or property. Justice in this instance, was served. Does this make the loss of life any less tragic? No. Did he deserve what happened to him? It would seem he deserved some type of punishment, and unfortunately for him he paid for his evil and foolish ways with his life.

Im not trying to argue, I just see what frugal is trying to say here. And he confirmed my assumptions I would have to agree with him...

but of course I feel that this shooting was "justified" Another piece of crap off the street... Its unfortunate to me that he was a crappy human being, but he was still after all human. Do I feel sorry for him? No. but I feel sorry for the people in his life who tried to show him the way and failed.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:37 PM   #34
CynicalC

Quote:
You keep making the false assumption that I don't "support" the death of one criminal over another. That's you attempting to make it seem like I said something which in fact I did not say.
I'll just assume that's a typo and we're all on the same page. You say I'm making the assumption that you are in support of the death of one criminal over another, and that it is false. I suppose you're right. You didn't say you "supported" the death penalty, you only said that you are not against it...

Quote:
Nope, not against it at all.
Quote:
I don't know how else to make it clear to you because it seems you're seeing words that I do not write.

And, I'm not going to go for your bait, I have no interest in conversion with anyone on the level being invited above. Sorry.
What you mean is you have talked yourself in a circle and are trying to get out of it now by focusing your argument on semantic bullshit.

Old January 4th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #35
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
I'll just assume that's a typo and we're all on the same page. You say I'm making the assumption that you are in support of the death of one criminal over another, and that it is false. I suppose you're right. You didn't say you "supported" the death penalty, you only said that you are not against it...

What you mean is you have talked yourself in a circle and are trying to get out of it now by focusing your argument on semantic bullshit.
You've made several claims as to what I said, and to substantiate those claims you've made (faulty) assumptions and quoted text that could best be described as throwing words at the screen and hoping something will stick. I have no idea why you've got your panties all in a wad over my comment WRT the original topic if this posts, but it's apparent that you are either unwilling or incapable of actually reading what I write with the intent of gathering any meaning from my words. You've got this mental template that you're trying to fit my words into, a very shallow and two dimensional template, and frankly I find it annoying. There's no "semantic bullshit" here other than your continued unsubstantiated claims as to what I wrote.

It seems the best thing for me to do here is to plonk you.

And so I shall.

Plonk...

Old January 4th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #36
CynicalC

Quote:
You've made several claims as to what I said, and to substantiate those claims you've made (faulty) assumptions blah blah blah unwilling or incapable of actually reading what I write with the intent of gathering any meaning from my words.
I am willing and capable, but you've made it very clear that you don't actually have anything to say. I can't gather any "meaning" from your words because there is none. Unless I repeat exactly what you say verbatim with a question mark at the end instead of a period, you dance around, singing "I didn't say that" over and over again.

So please, just answer this very, VERY easy question:

Would it have been better if somehow this situation was resolved in a way that didn't end in the death of this criminal young man?

A simple yes or no will do just fine.

(On second thought, this might actually be a very difficult question for you since you only know how to answer questions like a politician would. The answer is purely subjective, which requires you to have your own opinion. Just try your best.)

Quote:
Plonk...
Awww don't run away.

Old January 4th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #37
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

18 y-o mom kills home intruder
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #38
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I know that the guy was a criminal, but I feel bad for the property owner, since he has to live with the fact that he killed someone his whole life.

Old January 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #39
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
From the way that was written it sounds like they knew she was home with no man in the house.... and "defenseless"

I guess she proved them wrong.

CA Headline.

"Woman brutally murders intruder"

Old January 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #40
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Dude that is awesome.
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote