ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 21st, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Google Voice

Stop what you're doing. Go immediately to Google Voice and click the "get an invite" link at the bottom of the page. It is just so insanely cool. And it's free.

For an overview, check out this video:

Link to original page on YouTube.

For even more info, there is a features link on that Google Voice page. I put in an invite request a few weeks ago and just received the invite today. Only took a few minutes to get up and running and it is pretty darned neat. The transcribed voicemails are just killer.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM   #2
NickH
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Buell XB12Scg and 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

This is pretty cool. Thanks Alex!
Posted via Mobile Device
NickH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM   #3
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

That seems nuts!! As I'm a college student right now with no work number and I'm barely home, this doesnt really matter to me but I still wanna look into it and get a number for that day...good find alex!
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Damn this is cool. I've just set up a call widget for ninjette.org. This allows any of you miscreants to call and leave a vmail for me on the site, without ever having to make my google voice number, or your own number either, public. Try it out!

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 21st, 2009, 11:39 PM   #5
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

oh my gawd you're just like Flo rida !!

Last futzed with by zartan; July 22nd, 2009 at 11:57 PM.
zartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:49 AM   #6
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I've been waiting for this to finally open up for a while....and now that it's finally up I have to work all day! Gah!
O well, I know what I'll be doing late tonight.

Thanks for the heads up

Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

It's not totally open yet, but they are apparently responding to more invite requests in their queue. Get an invite request in ASAP (it takes < 10 seconds), and then hopefully they will send you an invite in the near future.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM   #8
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Yeh, Google Voice is Grand Central renamed. Google acquired Grand Central more than a year ago. I've had this service for a couple of years and haven't used it. Thanks for the reminder.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:53 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

They purchased Grand Central over 2 years ago, and it has taken them quite awhile to relaunch it. Everything Grand Central could do, Google Voice has, but they've also added quite a few new features to it that make it both more useful and more seamless. Like the mobile app for bberries/iphones that allows you to make calls directly that show the google voice number as the CID instead of your cell number, the transcribed vmails, the more advanced call routing/call handling based on very specific caller groups. And it's now completely free, as well as having available phone numbers in many more local markets.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Hey, how come nobody has left me a vmail yet?

Old July 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #11
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

I just got my invitation to google voice . Ill be giving my parents the number though(for now) as all I use is my cell phone but eventually when I get a real place to live and a real job I'll take it back

Old July 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

You pushover. Take it for yourself, and if you want to keep your cell number, just use it as the world's coolest voicemail system. Point your cell to forward unanswered calls to your GV number instead of your cell's native voicemail.

Have your parents request an invite themselves for their own google account. If you set yours up now with your google account and yet it's their number, they will need access to your google account to get in and actually use the service. As of now, there isn't a clean way to transfer a google voice number from one google account to another; they are intrinsically tied together.

I found this article on LifeHacker very helpful in starting to transition over to the new phone number / new service. They bring up things that I hadn't thought of, and ways to make the transition a little easier and sensible.

Old July 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #13
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

True I didnt think of that...

Now say I started to give out my google number instead of my cell phone...how does text messaging work? Can you text the google number?

And I have verizon cell phone service so others who have verizon can call and text me for free...Im guessing they will get charged(or their minutes will be used) correct?

Old July 30th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

SMS works great with the google number. You can text to it, and it will forward the SMS messages to any of your linked phones that you've classified as mobile. From the google voice website, you can SMS for free. And from your phone, you can use Google Voice to SMS if you want it to look like it's coming from your google number. Of course everything that used to work with your cell phone still works exactly like it did before as well.

The free minutes and mobile to mobile issue is a larger one. Basically it depends on a whole bunch of variables, but when you think 'em all through and apply them to whatever your particular cell plan covers, it makes sense. If you have Verizon --> Verizon free right now, then if you use the Google Voice dialer to call from your Verizon phone to the Google access number, then no, it wouldn't be free. You're no longer dialing a Verizon cell number. Same as if your friends call your new google number; it would be as if they were calling a normal (non-Verizon) number. But if you have one of those plans where you can add some unlimited numbers, all you really need to add is the google access number and your own google number, then any outbound call you make with the phone is free.

Old July 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #15
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I got my invitation yesterday as well - seems pretty fun so far

Old July 31st, 2009, 06:18 AM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Same as if your friends call your new google number; it would be as if they were calling a normal (non-Verizon) number.
Saw something last night in the Google Voice forum; some folks are claiming that if you configure it to allow the calling number to come through in CallerID rather than showing your Google number, that the cell billing on your side would be identical to if that person dialed your cell number directly. I.E. if someone on Verizon called your Google number and it is forwarding to your Verizon cell, there would be no charge for you, but there would be a charge for them. The logic in this is that your phone is thinking you're getting a call from a Verizon number, as that's what's showing up on your CallerID, but your caller is calling a non-Verizon number (your Google Voice number). I don't know for sure either way yet, haven't tested it enough yet myself to know.

Old July 31st, 2009, 01:48 PM   #17
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

So im trying to figure out how to be able to hear and read my voicemails from my cell phone on google voice. Alex, I dont see any place on google voice to allow me to forward my unanswered calls to google voice...mind pointing me in the right direction?

Old July 31st, 2009, 10:09 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

On your cell phone, you should be able to muck around in the menus to find out where things are being forwarded for unanswered calls, busy calls, etc. When you find it, there is already a number in there. That existing number is your current cell company's vmail access number. Write it down, in case you decide to change it back later. Enter your Google Voice number into those fields on your cell phone, so if your cell receives a call, and you don't answer it, after a few rings it gets forwarded to your google voice number.

The on your google voice account, uncheck your cell phone from default forwarding, so once a call gets to google voice it doesn't forward it right back to your cell phone. If you have all phones unchecked on your account, every call will just go immediately to voicemail, which is what you want in this case.

To check your voicemails from any phone, you can just call your own google voice number and press * when the message starts.

Old August 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM   #19
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Well figured out the voicemail thing but I ran into my first issue today, or I should say my girlfriend did. I have my cell phone linked on google voice but I havent given out my number to anyone yet. Havent blocked any numbers on google voice or anything like that. So my girl friend goes to call me today, via speed dial so its the same number she always calls, and it says the number has been disconnected. She calls two more times and it still says that. Finally, on the 4th try, it goes through. Weird...

Old August 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

If you have your cell phone forwarding to Google Voice, make sure that you don't also have your Google Voice forwarding right back to your cell phone. It will cause random behavior, including dropped calls and weird error messages. You need to uncheck your cell phone (and every other phone) in that Phones tab, so anything that is forwarded to the Google Voice number immediately just goes to voicemail.

Old August 1st, 2009, 10:39 PM   #21
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

looks cool, im gona check it out, expect a ton of probably very obvious questions.. thanks guysss

Old October 8th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Google Voice was just expanded to include Hawaii and Alaska!

Link for more info...

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #23
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

my friend said theyre allowing users to send invites to friends, but i dont think he's right.

Any one know?

Old October 9th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #24
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Can I use this to have a SoCal number for my Atlanta-area cell phone? I have a feeling that they might frown on it as some kind of location spoofing. I don't want to change my cell service because I expect to be back in GA before too long.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #25
Alex
ninjette.org dude

You can choose any phone number from anywhere; location doesn't matter.

Old October 9th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
You can choose any phone number from anywhere; location doesn't matter.
Sweet. Thanks! I knew I'd be checking it out sometime soon and now I have a reason to hurry up and find an invite.

Old October 9th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #27
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Get an invite here:

https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Minor feature update for Google Voice today, you can now use your own existing number for the service (as long as it is a mobile number). Using it this way doesn't give you all of the features that are available if you use a new number, but it does give a chunk. Primarily, 1-box voicemail with email transcription; no more need to check vmail on a cell and for a google number; it's all integrated.

More info here:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...-existing.html

Also, I've got a few invites left so if anyone needs a google voice account, just PM me with your preferred email address and I'll shoot one your way.

Old October 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Nice.

Old November 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Another minor improvement to that integrated voicemail from cell numbers. Before all it was really doing was forwarding from your cell to your google voice number, so it rang all of your other phones and then went to voicemail if they didn't pick up. So it was 8 or 9 rings before vmail picked up if someone called your cell.

They added an option so it can go straight to voicemail after it rings your cell the normal amount of times, so it seems even more seamless.

Old May 16th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #31
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I believe that I first submitted an invite request over a year ago and I still have nothing. It looks like they are now giving them to anyone with a student email address ending with .edu. Australia.edu gived free edu addresses but GV is for USA only, so it might not work. I'm trying but they say that I am low priority because I didn't donate, so I'm STILL looking for an invite. I still don't have a local number here in San Diego (using Atlanta area code), so it's badly needed.

Old May 16th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #32
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I have 3 invites - PM me

Old May 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #33
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
i have 3 invites - pm me
thank you thank you thank you

ygpm

Old May 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #34
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Google voice is the best telephone service I have ever used. I've had it for almost a year. No problems what so ever. Call quality is good. The SMS and voice messages sent to email is fantastic. The voice transcription can be a bit suspect. But, it's still helpful.

The only thing that worries me is that it's free, from a monetary standpoint. Nothing is free! Even though Google says it doesn't read your SMSs or listen to your voicemails, I know they are using that data. I just hope that I never find out what they are doing with it.

Regardless, it's still great. If you can get it, by all means do it.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #35
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
Google voice is the best telephone service I have ever used. I've had it for almost a year. No problems what so ever. Call quality is good. The SMS and voice messages sent to email is fantastic. The voice transcription can be a bit suspect. But, it's still helpful.

The only thing that worries me is that it's free, from a monetary standpoint. Nothing is free! Even though Google says it doesn't read your SMSs or listen to your voicemails, I know they are using that data. I just hope that I never find out what they are doing with it.

Regardless, it's still great. If you can get it, by all means do it.
It won't always be free. Right now they are getting valuable testing done by VIPs participating by invite.

Old May 16th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #36
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I've wanted it since it came out. It would be killer paired with my Android phone but FML it's not available in Canada.

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM   #37
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Google Voice is no longer invite only; it was opened up to everyone yesterday.

link to details

No information on expansion outside of the US as of yet, but it has to be coming at some point.

Old December 1st, 2011, 08:09 AM   #38
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Is there a way that this would provide free home telephone service. I'm looking at getting rid of my land-line and the cost associated with it but I still have a teenage son that gets home from school before me so he would still need a means of calling out.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 11:37 AM   #39
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Somewhat. Google Voice can now be linked to Google Chat virtual phones, which means you can dial out directly from your computer. So with a headset (or if the computer has decent microphone / speakers available), you can call out to any US number for free if you're sitting in front of the computer.

But to my knowledge, there is no easy way to hook it up to a standard telephone system to allow it to both ring and call out by directly using Google Voice and not a telephone service of its own.

If you're killing the landline just for cost reasons, but still want to use traditional phones in the house, definitely look into VOIP services. We have one through TMobile for $10/month tacked onto our normal cell bill, and it provides unlimited calling through standard phones that are plugged into their VOIP router on our network. Vonage and a host of others provide the same thing for much cheaper than a traditional land line.

Old December 1st, 2011, 11:43 AM   #40
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

As far as I know, there is or was a way to do some kind of wifi voip call forwarding to google voice's number but i think it's far more complicated than I would bother with. I also dont know how reliable it would be.

An alternative would be to bundle your landline w/ cable tv and high speed internet. You might get a deal that makes keeping the landline around worth it.

My household uses ooma. It's basically a one time fee for lifetime free voip landline. It works well for the most part but like any voip system, it has its faults. If you have any questions about it, let me know.