ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

View Poll Results: Have you taken the MSF course?
Yes 329 85.90%
No 54 14.10%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:10 AM   #121
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I took the Gearing up course in NB. Our literature and videos were from MSF so i believe it is a sister course.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM   #122
krazygluon
Parking Lot Qualified

Name: Fielding

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodE-E View Post
It sucks, but therefore drivers and motorcyclists over here are generally well-disciplined and I guess not all too many people get killed on the roads.
Precisely why German drivers can do 220+km/h on the Autobahn and maintain a lower fatality rate than the US, as they have a similar program for auto and motorcycle licensing.

Personally I'd love to see the same thing stateside, and its kinda going that way bit by bit when I think about how licensing was for my dad vs for me vs for my cousins who are just 8 years younger than I am.
krazygluon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM   #123
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazygluon View Post
Precisely why German drivers can do 220+km/h on the Autobahn and maintain a lower fatality rate than the US, as they have a similar program for auto and motorcycle licensing.

Personally I'd love to see the same thing stateside, and its kinda going that way bit by bit when I think about how licensing was for my dad vs for me vs for my cousins who are just 8 years younger than I am.
I have to disagree with the idea that getting a license in the US is becoming more difficult. A trained monkey could've passed the test when I took it, which is less than two years ago. I also passed the motorcycle endorsement test after learning to ride on my own with flying colors. The only thing I missed was the u-turn, by an inch, and I hadn't been on a bike for more than two months. It scares me to think how little you have to know and how badly you can do and still walk away with a license for a car or a bike.
For some reason, driver's in Europe are rather insane. There's less crashes, less drunk driving and all that, but they're maniacs. Whenever I visit Czech I see some scary stuff going down on the roads. I'd be a lot more hesitant to ride a bike there than I am here.
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #124
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

I took the equivalent here in Vancouver. It was a week long course, with two ~3-4hr total (with stops) road rides after all the parking lot fun. The name of the place was 'Pro Ride', and the quality was very high.
NaughtyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #125
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

I took the BRC last September because now in RI it's the only way you can get an endorsement. Subsidized to $99 it was a spectacular deal - except when I registered in April, 9/19 was the earliest date I could get. Grrrr.

Great class - it helped immensely... especially since it was my first time on a bike (outside of a 20' throttle-less rocket ride on my buddy's R1 years ago). My only complaint would be that I felt the classroom time was useless - we read the book and watched the MSF video, and then took the test. For the time spent, I'd rather do that stuff at home and have them add 5 hours to the range time of the class.

Either way, it was money very well spent - I'm planning to take the Intermediate course they offer early this summer.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #126
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

I took my MSF class in Oct. 2008!

I passed it easy, i think only like 2 ppl Failed (outta 100).
This one middle aged chick failed, and cried... afew of us Told her she did good, but just needed more practice, and that she Looked Sooo much better Riding at the End of Day 3, then the First time on the bikes! Just Keep it up and youll Pass next Class NP! It seemed too cheer her up. As i felt bad for her.

Yea though... MSF does a Fun and Good job... so that if you Never even ridden a Bicycle... youll be ready for a motorcycle on the Road in 3 days!

Here in Michigan, MSF class was ONLY $25.00

My Braking (both brakes during Panic stops) seemed too be my Weak point, but i told the instuctor its the Bikes Fault for not having Good Brakes! He Laughed!

The Bikes we used were all 125cc 80-85' Honda's, NightHawk, CRB (or sumin like that)
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #127
krazygluon
Parking Lot Qualified

Name: Fielding

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250

Took my ERC on last Sunday. State subsidized in MI to $25

Can't say I was terrifically impressed. Virtually every range exercise we did was something I did in my BRC. Every word I heard in the classroom exercise was something I heard in the BRC as well.

Either I had one hell of a BRC in kentucky, or this place basically gave a refresher course instead of an advanced course.

What was I expecting? how to really deal with rain,snow,locked rear brakes, and other things the BRC shied away from, how to handle heavier bikes, touchier throttles. advanced training on particularly sticky situations.
krazygluon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #128
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Name: oscar

Motorcycle(s): blk ninja 250 2008

Talking

yes and it was well worth it, getting wife to do her soon , and i lucked out cause my work paid for it

Old June 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #129
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

havent taken it and I probably wont. I dont find riding (especially on the 250) to be all that difficult. Add to that the fact that the MSF course here is $350 and at least a month or two wait.. no thanks... if it was even $100 maybe.. but for $350.. not worth it IMO no matter what they teach you. It sucks because I was really looking forward to taking it, and getting real world strategies for handling 'problems' .. and forget about insurance savings.. thats what I pay for a whole year of coverage for mine...

I wish it was subsidized in some way..

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #130
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Get a PA license and take the course in PA for free.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #131
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn99Kawi View Post
havent taken it and I probably wont. I dont find riding (especially on the 250) to be all that difficult. Add to that the fact that the MSF course here is $350 and at least a month or two wait.. no thanks... if it was even $100 maybe.. but for $350.. not worth it IMO no matter what they teach you. It sucks because I was really looking forward to taking it, and getting real world strategies for handling 'problems' .. and forget about insurance savings.. thats what I pay for a whole year of coverage for mine...

You can find the course/instructor's book online and at least run through the exercises yourself on day in a parking lot- I know people who have done that and said it was really useful.
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #132
G250RSC
ninjette.org member

Name: Gene

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I encourage everyone to take the course even if you are experienced. I am currently an MSF Instructor in SC. MSF is now working on a Sport Bike Class geared toward just Sportbikes. Instructing on high speed cornering and turns. The class should be out shortly.
G250RSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #133
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Yes, is required in RI. When you finish the range course and pass you get your permit. Keep out of trouble for 30 days and go back to dmv and you get your license. Realize they have to teach to least common denominator, but they should break the range course down to those who have never ridden and those who have. Not to say i didn't learn anything new - I did. But no sense spending 10 minutes walking bike back and forth in 1st gear.

Craziest thing I thought is when they had us going around the course they had us all within INCHES of each others' tires. Never told us to spread it out. Just told the lead guy to speed up. They put anyone in the lead including the least experienced person. If the lead guy ever went down (which he didn't) the whole pack would have crashed.

Classroom teacher was great she kept it going good as it was a one day 8 hr lecture.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #134
Red'09250
ninjette.org member

Name: P

Motorcycle(s): Red '09 250

yep, took it right after buying my bike

it was good for basic operation and handling of a bike, but i think it left us unprepared for street riding. i had to learn how to really turn by going out on the street. wish they would have let us practice higher-speed turns and stops.
Red'09250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #135
Duvivr6
ninjette.org member

Name: Duvi

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Special Ed

I took it you need it in the AF to ride on base!

It got monotonous after a while is damn to long and boring should be a 1 day course not 15 hours!
Duvivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #136
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Name: Mhilz

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZZR600 Midnight Blue

Cool A smart idea

The last time I was on these toys was 20 yrs ago & I felt that its a good idea to be reacquainted with these toys maturely. Its cheaper than learning it the hard way, I think. Another plus side was the ease of acquiring a license than otherwise. All I did was present the completion card to DMV & thats it. No questions asked.

Its like having a back stage pass for a Journey or Rod Stewart Concert.

www.smartridermsp.com

I had the opportunity to attend the class with them & I recommend them. Great crew!

Enjoy the ride safely. GB2All.
ironglory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #137
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Took the course 8 yrs ago.
Don't remember much.
All i remember is it was informative and helpful.
Brake before enter corner and roll at exit.
Definitely a good course to take if you have never ridden and would like to learn the basic safty skills. It would also take away some of the pressure off your shoulder cuz after completing the course at lease you know how to start the bike and what to check for before you ride.
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #138
Graphic Twist
- beyond titles -

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (Black)

I have not taken it yet... But I'm scheduled to start it next Thursday
Graphic Twist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #139
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Name: Mhilz

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZZR600 Midnight Blue

The course...

The mind is like a parachute, if you open it it'll save your life.

For those who thinks its expensive or your too old or got experience...

Having been to a class myself, I strongly endorse it. Besides just think of the love ones you hold dear in your hearts - do it for them.

Be cool & safe.
ironglory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #140
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Took it because some friends were going and thought I'd like to learn. It's what finally got me hooked on motorcycles, knowing (sorta) how to ride. I enjoyed the course immensely (taught @ a local community college in Radford, Virginia) even though the first 'on-bike' day had some torrential downpour and I spent the day soaked. Spent the weekend learning on a Rebel, but got some time on the loaner pre-gen ninja 250 before I left and fell in love.
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #141
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Yep took the MSF course in Dallas, Tx. Excellent refresher and the best "unknown" tip to me was..... "Look through the turn"! I hadn't a clue prior and it sure makes a difference even in parking lots.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #142
mr.niftie
4 Season Need 4 Speed

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, 2009 (GONE) Honda CBR250RA, 2011

The Sheridan college course was great!
mr.niftie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #143
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

No I haven't taken it. There was no such thing when I got my first motorcycle license in 1983.
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #144
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelGuy View Post
No I haven't taken it. There was no such thing when I got my first motorcycle license in 1983.
And they didn't have it when I got my MC license in 1970, but I took the ERC class last year and have to say I'm convinced no matter how long you've been riding, you owe it to yourself to take the course.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #145
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Took it because some friends were going and thought I'd like to learn. It's what finally got me hooked on motorcycles, knowing (sorta) how to ride. I enjoyed the course immensely (taught @ a local community college in Radford, Virginia) even though the first 'on-bike' day had some torrential downpour and I spent the day soaked. Spent the weekend learning on a Rebel, but got some time on the loaner pre-gen ninja 250 before I left and fell in love.
Did you take it at New River CC? I took it there and got to ride a pre-gen ninja 250 for the class.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #146
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Exactly so. I had to ask get some pre-gen time as I wasn't there early enough to claim one of them for the whole training run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD022588 View Post
Did you take it at New River CC? I took it there and got to ride a pre-gen ninja 250 for the class.
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #147
matteblack
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2006 honda Ruckus

Cool

I took the beginner MSF about 8 years ago in SF, CA. It was really easy to get the M endorsement after taking the course. I for sure learned skills that I continue to use today like scanning the horizon and not fixating. I have to brag too, because I aced both the written and riding test at the end.
matteblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM   #148
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Since I have been riding for 40+ years, I signed up for the advaned course. Will let you all know how that went. Will be taking it after I have my eye surgery next month. Am not riding or driving much till the eye gets fixed. Riding a bicycle a lot.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM   #149
mfmclain
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I just took my course in Westfield, MA this past weekend (June 19-21). Besides the ungodly hours they were keeping (7AM start time, had to be there for 6:45 and I have a 1.5 hour drive. Not fun getting up at 4:30AM, but it was the closest course) I had a blast and learned a lot. The instructors were real nice, and one of my coaches has even written a book on riding, called Riding in the Zone. Overall I feel like I am going to be a much safer rider out on the streets. Obviously I have much more to learn, but it's nice to have the basics.
mfmclain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM   #150
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja EX250R

Took the free military version. All day long and it was hot as hell. I left with a lot more knowledge though.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:30 AM   #151
shift_6
ninjette.org member

Name: SHIFT

Motorcycle(s): 08 Candy Plasma Blue

wsupp i figured i would post a quick review of the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) BRC Course. I took it at STHD with STAR (Southern Tier Academy of Riding) up in Binghamton. Course cost $275 and you had to supply your own helmet, long sleeve shirt and ankle high boots. i rode in full gear, borrowed some stuff from clutch, and used my scorpion exo-700 helmet i bought.

STHD provided 250cc bikes to ride on: suzuki gz250. a standard bike. there were 2 instructors, and 12 students in my class. about half were women riders. some people had motorcross/dirt bike experience and others already had their license and wanted to refresh/learn again.

1st day - only about 3 hours, went over the booklet, such as type of motorcycles, dangers of riding, etc. also reviewed concepts of pre ride inspection and how to start up the motorcycle. also watched some videos on motorcycle control.

2nd day - 8am-6pm - wow what a day. 8 hours spent out on the range on the motorcycles, 2 hours indoors watching more videos. out on the range (big parking lot basically) started off with learning the clutch 'friction zone' (if you drive stick, u should know what this is already), paddle walking the bike across the lot, turning, slalom thru cones, upshifting, emergency braking, straightening up the bike, counter-steering, decreasing radius turns. put about 10 miles on the bike the first day. that's a lot of miles to rack up in a parking lot. at the end of the day, they gave the written exam, which was really easy if u paid attention the first day and have common sense. got a 96/100. the two questions i got wrong were the two i fell asleep for after lunch for a couple minutes. everyone in the class got 90+

3rd day - 8am-4pm - spent all outdoors, this was probably the most fun day of the course because everyone was getting more comfortable on the bikes, and all the muscle memory from the day before had time to settle in. learned to swerve, do figure 8's, emergency braking, downshifting, even got the bikes into 3rd gear. the test of "celebration of skill" consisted of 3 things
1- figure 8's in the box
2 - getting bike into 2nd gear, swerving, stopping/downshifting
3 - getting bike into 2nd gear, emergency stop/downshift (stop distance was measured)

definitely a good course to take if you never did it. it's better to learn all the good habits from the start before you develop bad ones, and this course can definitely help implement that. the instructors were really nice/friendly and everyone in the class was friendly. by the end of the second day on the bike i was already starting to lean it in the corners

[i found this pic off kawiforums]

Last futzed with by shift_6; June 23rd, 2009 at 07:39 AM.
shift_6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #152
kkim

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #153
P1NDLESK1N
ninjette.org member

Name: Dario

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 (Sold), 2016 Z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn99Kawi View Post

Yeah $350 sucks. A lot. A whole lot.
Unfortunately it was the only way I could get my license, since I didn't know any other riders to ride with under my permit.

The BasicRidersCourse here teaches you from knowing nothing, to normal riding. All those course exercises shift_6 just posted are the same here, and then at the end they test you on them.

If you can ride already, take an advanced or track course I guess.

edit: On a funny related note, on the cornering exercise I ground off the peg bottom on the little Kawasaki Eliminator 125. My instructor wasn't too happy.
P1NDLESK1N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #154
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

I was riding in a group today... went down Ocean Parkway, jones beach, OBI etc... I think I might see if I can get in the MSF this summer.. I'd really like to take it... despite the cost..

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #155
CLSully826
ninjette.org member

Name: Chance

Motorcycle(s): 04 Yamaha R6

To get your license in Iowa, you can either take the MSF basic rider class or take a riding test with the DOT. I opted for the class as I figured it would help me much as a rider than just taking a test. The class teaches you a lot of stuff, even if you've been riding for a while.

Has anyone taken the advanced MSF class? I've heard that it may help lower your insurance rates...?
CLSully826 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #156
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

No for me

In Alabama all you need for a license is a $5 dollar written test (20 q's) and a 18 buck picture fee

COMMON SENSE goes real far

Old June 29th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #157
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate-bama View Post
In Alabama all you need for a license is a $5 dollar written test (20 q's) and a 18 buck picture fee

COMMON SENSE goes real far
may I ask why you've not taken it?

Old June 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #158
seis gunnar
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R SE Lime Green

I took it last week. Mostly because in MN if your over 18 and have your permit, you can get your endorsement quickly and easily. It cost me $160, for one day of class room, about 4 hours, and 2 days, again about 4 hours each day, in the parking lot.

For me I think the biggest value was having an experienced motorcyclist, giving me pointers and telling me I could do the various maneuvers better. It also sold me on the fact I chose a ninjette for my first bike, instead of the dual sport 250 they had me on.
seis gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #159
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
may I ask why you've not taken it?
Well sure you can for one id probably have to drive a hour and if its that close id be suprised, and im 29 years old and been riding for a long time so it would really be pointless to ride circles in a parking lot.. oh and i dont know where the nearest parking lot is. Now this is just me anyone buying their first bike definetly should.

Old June 29th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #160
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Common Sense will take you far though