ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 9th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): '90 ex250

Petcock gaskets?

I have a 1990.

Finally got my bike back together earlier... Runs like magic! Except the petcock decided it wanted to start leaking out of the knob itself. (That and some place off the carb started leaking randomly but that's for another thread. >_< )

What would be the recommendation to fix this? It looks like a simple gasket swap around the knob. Could I be missing something or is this what usually fails?

This being said, does anyone know the diameter of this gasket off hand?
MasterCylinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Did you try putting more pressure on the exterior spring-washer?

It may stop leaking after more time in contact with gasoline; all these neoprene parts shrink some when dry.

No, I don't know the diameter.

Some useful reference here:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #3
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Did you try putting more pressure on the exterior spring-washer?

It may stop leaking after more time in contact with gasoline; all these neoprene parts shrink some when dry.

No, I don't know the diameter.

Some useful reference here:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap
Well I put some vasoline on it to make it swell back up. It seems to be fine for a minute or 2 but then it starts leaking and progressively gets worse.

Old September 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #4
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
Well I put some vasoline on it to make it swell back up. It seems to be fine for a minute or 2 but then it starts leaking and progressively gets worse.
Vaseline wont make it swell back up, it needs to be soaked in gasoline overnight if shrinkage is the problem.

If all else fails, order a new one from the dealer.

The front gasket is actually a pretty unusual place for it to leak. Does it do it when its turned to OFF?

Are you sure it isn't actually coming from your diaphragm weep hole? If you temporarilly stick a small tube on the small port and suck on it, and you get air or gas, then the diaphragm is shot.

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #5
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Vaseline wont make it swell back up, it needs to be soaked in gasoline overnight if shrinkage is the problem.

If all else fails, order a new one from the dealer.

The front gasket is actually a pretty unusual place for it to leak. Does it do it when its turned to OFF?

Are you sure it isn't actually coming from your diaphragm weep hole? If you temporarilly stick a small tube on the small port and suck on it, and you get air or gas, then the diaphragm is shot.
It does leak a little bit when it's off but not as much when its' "on" or 'reserve".

It's definitely dripping through the knob...

It is kinda weird with the lack of fuel going into the carb though when the engine is running as well. Could definitely be the diaphragm... If that's the case, what would be the best solution?

Old September 10th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #6
n4mwd

Quote:
It does leak a little bit when it's off but not as much when its' "on" or 'reserve".

It's definitely dripping through the knob...

It is kinda weird with the lack of fuel going into the carb though when the engine is running as well. Could definitely be the diaphragm... If that's the case, what would be the best solution?
Is this something new, or did the bike come this way (used)? If used, its possible someone before you put the incorrect gasket under the knob. Time to take it apart and examine the diaphragm. Any tears or creases, replace it. Kawasaki sells the new gasket and washer.

You'll probably need, the knob O-ring (92055-1085) and the washer with holes in it under the knob (43049-1103). If the diaphragm itself (43028-1068) is bad, then it should be replaced. If it drips when ON and no vacuum, then the o-ring on the diaphragm (92055-1664) is bad. Its possible that the o-rings can be bought at the local hardware store.

The o-ring that goes on the diaphragm is industry standard size "-007". The one behind the know is industry standard size "-019". The oval shaped o-ring that goes between the petcock and the tank is a special one that has to come from kawasaki.

If you are 100% certain the leak is from the knob, try replacing the knob o-ring first. Make sure you get one that is gasoline resistant. Nitrile or Viton will work.

Old September 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #7
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

It came with the bike but it didn't do this last time I had it running. The only thing that has changed with it was swapping it onto a new none rusty gas tank. I don't mind rebuilding it at all. Just was hoping for an easy fix... Just a matter of tracking down the right parts at the store. What makes matter worse one of the small screw holes on the face plate is apparently stripped at the end...

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.....What makes matter worse one of the small screw holes on the face plate is apparently stripped at the end...
If it turns too easily with your hand, the washer-spring may not be pressing enough due to that screw.

Maybe trying a little washer between the head of that screw and the washer-spring?

Old September 10th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #9
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
If it turns too easily with your hand, the washer-spring may not be pressing enough due to that screw.

Maybe trying a little washer between the head of that screw and the washer-spring?
Well I think I fixed it. Replaced both o-rings (on the diaphragm and knob) and does not appear to be leaking anymore. I did bend the little o-spring to put more pressure on the the knob though so I'm not sure if that helped much. The diaphragm itself appeared to be intact and not cracked. It was weird that the diaphragm came apart in 3 layer pieces though. I'm just not sure how much longer the uber tiny screws on the face place will last though. =/

It's holding so far so I can live with that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old September 10th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Old September 11th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #11
n4mwd

As long as it stays fixed, all is well.

Old September 11th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #12
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Well that was short lived... those ridiculously small face screws just blew out. Probably the slight extra bend I put on that o-spring. Completely stripped now. Lovely.

Old September 11th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #13
n4mwd

Quote:
Well that was short lived... those ridiculously small face screws just blew out. Probably the slight extra bend I put on that o-spring. Completely stripped now. Lovely.
New screws with a nut on the back.

Old September 11th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #14
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
New screws with a nut on the back.

The hole itself is stripped, not the screw. I mean I guess I could drill it through the otherside and see what happens.

Old September 11th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #15
n4mwd

Quote:
The hole itself is stripped, not the screw. I mean I guess I could drill it through the otherside and see what happens.
Ok, so you are saying those are blind screw holes and not through holes. My mistake. Still, if there is room to put a small nut back there, I would. Actually, another option is to drill it out just smaller and then re tap it all the way through. Then longer screws from the hardware store. If that doesn't work, nuts on the back.

Worst case, ebay -> new petcock.

Old September 12th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #16
MasterCylinder
ninjette.org member

I opted for the later at this point and just see how it goes... Even worse worst case scenario I have to buy a brand spankin new one. =/