ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #1
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

External, fork preload adjusters.

Talking to some 250 racers this weekend at Roebling Road I found out about Slingshot Racing.

They make a set of billet aluminum preload adjusters for the 250 that replace the stock caps. Adjustments range from 5mm to 20mm.

I just ordered a set since I am getting ready to do some suspension work on the bike. They look pretty slick.

Link: http://www.slingshotracing.net/catal...-ad-p-191.html
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I have been eyeing those for a while - look forward to photos and review.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #3
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Nice piece. Looking forward to your review.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #4
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Nice! Guess now you can do a DIY and give us your impressions!
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #5
kkim

why would one need preload adjusters?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #6
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Is that a trick question, Kelly? lol. Want to be able to experiment with the forks at the track. Yes, I could do it by changing spacers, but don't want to take the thing apart every time I want a small change if I can avoid it.

Also if I make a preload adjustment to the shock, this will affect the front, which might need adjusting to compensate for the change at the rear.

Old June 8th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #7
kkim

sorry, no trick question. I guess I meant, what problem do you hope the preload adjusters will help combat/fix?

Old June 8th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #8
randomwalk101
self wrencher

For me, cuz it's purrrdieee
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 8th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #9
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
sorry, no trick question. I guess I meant, what problem do you hope the preload adjusters will help combat/fix?
Oh, no problem at all. With the adjustable rear shock that will soon go in the bike, those fork caps can come in handy at the track.

I am interested in learning about suspension setting/adjustments. If there is a way to at least adjust one setting in the forks without having to disassemble anything, I'll take it.

Old June 8th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #10
gixerhp
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Hayabusa, 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS73 View Post
Oh, no problem at all. With the adjustable rear shock that will soon go in the bike, those fork caps can come in handy at the track.

I am interested in learning about suspension setting/adjustments. If there is a way to at least adjust one setting in the forks without having to disassemble anything, I'll take it.

With having 2 bikes with Ohlins forks, im spoiled, for track applications, these adjusters are great!
The suspension, here on my girlfriends is very soft, but im going to leave it alone for now. But in the future i will be adding these!

All of my bikes have allways had extensive suspension work done to them, as well as having geometry work done by the GMD Computrack shop here locally!
There is so much more confidence you can have with your bike with good suspension work!
gixerhp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #11
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

I just bouht a set of these. Just shipped yesterday. Should have them in a week.
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #12
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
For the same reason you have a preload adjuster on the back of your bike.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #13
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
For the same reason you have a preload adjuster on the back of your bike.
which is?

Old June 9th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #14
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
which is?
make it looks pretty

Old June 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #15
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Ok these are a cool idea. I'd like the ability to tune the preload front and rear between track days and days riding distance with loaded panniers and a backpack.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #16
kkim

so, does a preload adjuster only allow for adjusting the static fork sag due to differing weights of riders/load or does it actually stiffen up the front end through it's travel, effectively "upping" the front fork springs ability to resist load throughout the entire fork stroke?

ie: will the forks feel stiffer throughout its entire travel?

Old June 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #17
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
so, does a preload adjuster only allow for adjusting the static fork sag due to differing weights of riders/load or does it actually stiffen up the front end through it's travel, effectively "upping" the front fork springs ability to resist load throughout the entire fork stroke?

ie: will the forks feel stiffer throughout its entire travel?
I see what you are getting at Kelly. Preload does not affect spring stiffness. Its used to adjust sag, this affects ride height also. From what I have read, ideally you want to be somewhere close in the middle of the suspension travel when measuring rider/total sag to avoid bottoming or topping out.

Sag adjustments are individual for each rider as it depends on rider weight.

Old June 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #18
kkim

Quote:
I see what you are getting at Kelly. Preload does not affect spring stiffness. Its used to adjust sag, this affects ride height also. From what I have read, ideally you want to be somewhere close in the middle of the suspension travel when measuring rider/total sag to avoid bottoming or topping out.
IIRC, bike w/ rider sag should be somewhere near 1/3-1/4 of the total suspension travel for the front with a static (bike only) sag of about 1/2-1" depending on the application.

so taking your explanation one step further, when we adjust the preload on our rear shock, why does the bike feel so harsh over bumps if preload does not affect spring rate?

Old June 9th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #19
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
IIRC, bike w/ rider sag should be somewhere near 1/3-1/4 of the total suspension travel for the front with a static (bike only) sag of about 1/2-1" depending on the application.

so taking your explanation one step further, when we adjust the preload on our rear shock, why does the bike feel so harsh over bumps if preload does not affect spring rate?
Because the spring the spring gets compressed when you add preload. Its like putting pre-weight on the spring before adding the rider. This makes the spring do additional work to resist that force giving the impression of being stiffer.

Old June 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #20
kkim

isn't that upping the spring rate, then?

how does a spring give the "impression" of being stiffer w/o actually being stiffer?

Old June 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #21
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

how does a spring give the "impression" of being stiffer w/o actually being stiffer?
If I have a spring with a k factor of 100lbs/in, for example, with no preload and a 200lbs load the spring would compress 2 inches. However if we add 1 inch of preload, we have increased the amount of force required to get the spring to begin to compress by 100 lbs.

So, we put the 200lbs load back and the spring will only compress 1 inch. The spring however, is still compressed a total of 2 inches and it's still doing the necessary work to hold 200lbs, no more no less.

Spring stiffness is determined by the materials used and the manufacturing process.

Old June 9th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #22
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:

If it's a progressive rate spring i think preload takes out the softer rate coil to reach the firmer coils.
If the spring would've fully compressed with say 300 lbs. it still would still regardless of the preload.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #23
kkim

so, with the preloaded spring, the stroke/travel through the fork will feel the same as a spring with no preload?

I guess what I'm after is, will the fork's travel feel the same or feel harder/stiffer?

I know you can't change the inherent spring properties, but can you change the "effective" rate by preloading?

Old June 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #24
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
so, with the preloaded spring, the stroke/travel through the fork will feel the same as a spring with no preload?

I guess what I'm after is, will the fork's travel feel the same or feel harder/stiffer?

I know you can't change the inherent spring properties, but can you change the "effective" rate by preloading?
The overall travel of the suspension will be the same, it just that part of that travel was taken by the preload. However the "effective" travel that the rider feels and sees will be less, thus giving the harsher/stiffer feel.

That's why it's important that the sag be set correctly to avoid "hitting the stops" of your suspension if you go too far either way with the preload.

Old June 9th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #25
kkim

Quote:
However the "effective" travel that the rider feels and sees will be less, thus giving the harsher/stiffer feel.
so the forks will feel like it's been stiffened up?

Old June 9th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #26
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
so the forks will feel like it's been stiffened up?
Yes.

Old June 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #27
kkim

Quote:
Yes.
whew... thanks. It's like pulling teeth to get these answers.

So, fork preload adjustments would be a benefit to riders complaining of the front end diving under braking or of the front forks being too soft, correct?

Old June 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #28
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
whew... thanks. It's like pulling teeth to get these answers.

So, fork preload adjustments would be a benefit to riders complaining of the front end diving under braking or of the front forks being too soft, correct?
I know you know the answers, but it's a good discussion.

You were just asking the right questions to keep me rambling

Yes, it would benefit them, however changing preload affects ride height. So if you increase it at the front, you'll have to move the forks up on the tripple to maintain the original height and F/R weight balance of the bike.

See, there you did it again

Old June 9th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #29
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Preload on forks / rear shocks like the stock 250R "packs" the spring as described here which makes it stiffer, affecting both determined sag and fork stiffness.

In a perfect world this would allow for correct sag setup and proportional stiffness for fork action and diving characteristics, but isn't a perfect formula but can get close enough for the type of riding I do.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #30
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofo View Post
Preload on forks / rear shocks like the stock 250R "packs" the spring as described here which makes it stiffer, affecting both determined sag and fork stiffness.

In a perfect world this would allow for correct sag setup and proportional stiffness for fork action and diving characteristics, but isn't a perfect formula but can get close enough for the type of riding I do.
Correct, it depends on the type of riding. But for the track it is of great benefit to have the bike sprung for your weight.

Old June 9th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #31
kkim

Joel,

Actually, I thought I knew the answers, but in another thread on how to stiffen up the front end, when I mentioned increasing the preload, I was told it wouldn't do a thing and the way to correct for the front end dive would be to replace the springs with the correct rate ones... whatever they might be.

Mine was a cheap trick with washers vs $100 for springs. Glad to finally know the forks I preloaded on the dirtbike is actually stiffer than when I started. Couldn't figure out how the front end on that bike got stiffer if preloading didn't stiffen up the feel.

Good luck with racing... now that's where a minute difference in suspension setup can mean the difference between being first or doing a soil/tarmac sample.

Old June 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #32
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Relevant link on Sport Rider's site:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9510_tech/index.html

With pretty graphs!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #33
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Joel,

Actually, I thought I knew the answers, but in another thread on how to stiffen up the front end, when I mentioned increasing the preload, I was told it wouldn't do a thing and the way to correct for the front end dive would be to replace the springs with the correct rate ones... whatever they might be.

Mine was a cheap trick with washers vs $100 for springs. Glad to finally know the forks I preloaded on the dirtbike is actually stiffer than when I started. Couldn't figure out how the front end on that bike got stiffer if preloading didn't stiffen up the feel.

Good luck with racing... now that's where a minute difference in suspension setup can mean the difference between being first or doing a soil/tarmac sample.
Yes, it will give a stiffer feel but all you're doing is "packing" the spring like sofo said. The correct way is to spring the bike to your weight and use preload for sag. Then again, if your not pushing the limits of the bike you can most likely get away with it.

Thanks, I plan on doing my first race in the Sept WERA round at JGP.

Old June 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #34
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Relevant link on Sport Rider's site:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9510_tech/index.html

With pretty graphs!
Thanks for the link, Alex.

Old June 20th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #35
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Anyone install these yet? Just curious as to how easy (or difficult) they are to install...
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote