Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old April 14th, 2014, 03:36 AM   #1
Peppy
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

Anyone ridden a Versys?

Hey all,

Curious to see what people think of the Versys 650 in comparison to our (present or past) Ninjettes.

I think The Versys ticks most of the boxes, but the one thing I'm reluctant to compromise on is flickability in the twisties. It has to satisfy my solo riding through tighter twisties and sedate 2up riding. Potentially longer day trips also (400 mi +).

The thing I enjoy the most about riding in some 18000 miles has been, hands down, without a doubt the tighter twisties. For me in Australia, these are sign posted somewhere around 30-35mph. Whatever bike I end up with I still want to get my kicks under these sorts of conditions. Before I factor in the 2up component of the bike choice, I'm gravitating to bikes like Yamaha's shiny MT-07, Duke, either the 390 or 690, and the Husky TR650, although discontinued I believe.

So, can anybody tell me how much less (or more!) flickable the Versys 650 might be with reference to the above? Reviewers usually say they're pretty agile, though that might be in reference to bigger bikes, and in the event I can't test ride the Versys under the above conditions I defer to the wise members here for your opinions.

Cheers,
Dave
Peppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #2
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

It's probably close to as flickable as the ninjette due to the wider bars and other chassis elements, but it'll be heavier and you'll probably feel that weight. I'm guessing it has 120/160 tires so it'll undoubtedly be more stable at speed and through corners than the ninjette. I'm merely speculating here based off research and my own riding experiences. Even the HD fatboy lo my mom used to have was surprisingly flickable for a 750lb bike with 120/200 tires. It was real low and had nice wide bars though, unfortunately being low and wide also meant it'd scrape around town in regular riding lol. Something I doubt you'll have issue with on any of the bikes you're looking at.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:43 AM   #3
Peppy
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

Thanks for taking pity on my lonely post!

I think you're pretty reasonable with your thinking - I would certainly feel the weight, although I have a feeling that'd be mostly at lower speeds, which I'm okay with.

Think I'll try get a test ride booked on a neutered version (graduated licensing scheme here) and try get a feel for how it handles. Sat on one the other day - my butt really liked it...
Peppy is offline   Reply With Quote