ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 5th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

I'm going to mod....!

Hey everyone,

I have been pondering this quite a bit and I have come to the conclusion that I am going to mod my bike. I have a couple of questions before pieces start coming off. I read on the ninja250.org post about modding affecting bike reliability. Has anyone noticed reliability issues after removing stock parts (specifically exhaust, rejet, and intake)?

My second question is what happens once all of the new parts are on. Since starting at the intake and modding through the exhaust, I know the bike will need to be “retuned”. While I am working on this, I am going to have my dad help me who has 35+ of engine/mechanical engineering background. To tune the engine, is this a complicated process, or is it like any other carbureted machine where it takes time and finesse? Between my father, my shop manual, and you guys is there any other “experience” or knowledge I need? My concern is turning my 250 into a 248cc paperweight…

Again, it’s a few months off, I am just trying to do my research now before investing the time and money. Thanks!
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
It's pretty easy just tedious. It's a lot of jet the carbs, test, jet the carbs again, test, jet again, test, jet again, test.

You do that until you are happy with it.

Also, you are unlikely to break anything unless you jetting is WAY off
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

If you get a slip-on exhaust, you would probably be fine with simply shimming the needles. A full exhaust, and well, you'll need to tune it. There is pretty much a DIY for everything mod-related on this forum, and anything else can probably be found on youtube. Just use the 'search' function to find some of these threads to get an idea for what you'll need to do. Good luck and post up some pics when the time comes to mod!
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #4
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I rarely get on my computer so I typically browse the forums on my iPhone which is a pain in the butt to search on! I don't mean to be that guy... But I'll definitely see what's out there!

Old October 6th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #5
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Keep the airbox and your bike will be just as reliable as ever. Even with a pod intake, if it's jetted right, you'll be fine with reliability, you'll just notice atmospheric changes a little more.

I ran for a while with a full Muzzy, an opened intake lid, one size larger jets, and 3 washers on the needles. It performed very well and never gave me trouble. Then I went with fuel injection; whole new ball game and learning curve

Re-jetting your carbs just takes time and some test riding. I have a homemade carb-sync tool you can borrow in the spring if you need it after re-jetting. I also have a bunch of those #4 washers I can send you when I'm home for winter break if you need them. We can even do a little TechDay in the spring if you need help with anything. Just let me know how I can help.

Go for it! Learn as much as you can by working on the bike and have some fun.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #6
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Keep the airbox and your bike will be just as reliable as ever. Even with a pod intake, if it's jetted right, you'll be fine with reliability, you'll just notice atmospheric changes a little more.

I ran for a while with a full Muzzy, an opened intake lid, one size larger jets, and 3 washers on the needles. It performed very well and never gave me trouble. Then I went with fuel injection; whole new ball game and learning curve

Re-jetting your carbs just takes time and some test riding. I have a homemade carb-sync tool you can borrow in the spring if you need it after re-jetting. I also have a bunch of those #4 washers I can send you when I'm home for winter break if you need them. We can even do a little TechDay in the spring if you need help with anything. Just let me know how I can help.

Go for it! Learn as much as you can by working on the bike and have some fun.
I appreciate it Chone! What will I need to change in the way of the intake then? Just the filter?

I'd definitely like a spring tech day to review everything.

Old October 6th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #7
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The air filter if you want, but I'm not really sure if it makes a huge difference. I'd say pull the snorkel because it's free, and then change to a performance filter if you really want to. At least get a new OEM filter so you have a nice clean starting point for jetting. You can also open up your airbox if you want to by drilling a pair of 2" diameter holes in it like Leo Vince suggests for the FI guys.

This is what Leo Vince suggests doing with the airbox:

It should do more than just pulling the snorkel, but pull the snorkel as well. It's the same effect as what I did with my intake lid before I pulled the airbox completely.
Attached Images
File Type: png leo vince airbox holes.png (643.1 KB, 1 views)
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote