Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old February 18th, 2024, 12:56 PM   #1
Pregen_Prat
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Pratham

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 1998 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird

Intro and potential track bike build?

Hello everyone,
My name is Prat and I have had the pleasure of owning my 2007 Ninja 250 for over 3 years. I joined the forum a while ago, but never really logged on until now. I want to be more involved in the community of these special little bikes.

It was my first bike, but I bought a Honda Blackbird last summer. That is an amazing bike,but I am still enjoying the 250. I have done 2 track days on it, the most recent one being in October 2023 at PittRace.

I want to do more with it and make it a dedicated race-bike. My track day friends told me it is not worth it, and I should focus more on getting a 400 or an SV650 if I really want to get fast. I really love the memories I’ve made with my 250, riding it and wrenching on it for the past 3 years. I am conflicted on it. Although I want to keep it, the support for parts is very limited these days and am not sure how worth it a build would be when there are technically better options out there.

Are there any people in the forum who race these “pregen” old style bikes? Is the 17 inch wheel conversion and or valve emulators worth it for this bike?

Thank you all in advance…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7231.jpg (102.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_84F74057A304-1.jpg (89.9 KB, 5 views)
Pregen_Prat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2024, 01:17 PM   #2
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Pregen_Prat! Glad you found us...

Old February 18th, 2024, 01:19 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Hi Pratham, and welcome! I don't race my pregen, but there are/were a few guys here who do. I see you're browsing the racing section of this board now.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2024, 05:15 AM   #4
Hogges
ninjette.org member

Name: Wolfgang

Motorcycle(s): R1200GS, DR200SE, Ninja EX300

What a beautiful bike. I am all for bikes should be ridden as intended but I’d hate to see these what I assume to be irreplaceable plastics be damaged.
Hogges is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2024, 05:01 PM   #5
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome to the board!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2024, 06:50 AM   #6
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Yes, the 17 inch conversion is well worth it for tire selection alone. As for emulators, less important than correct weight springs.

A 400 would be a better choice if you are interested in racing and/or if you are primarily going to track on larger tracks. A sv650 is maybe the best of both worlds for a track day bike but it is no longer the competetive bike to go racing in LWT classes.

All that being said, I have several race bikes and still keep my 250 on the track. Why? Because I love that little bike. And if you love yours - keep it and ride it on the track no matter what anyone says.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2024, 10:42 AM   #7
Pregen_Prat
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Pregen_Prat! Glad you found us...
Thank you!

Old February 21st, 2024, 10:44 AM   #8
Pregen_Prat
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Hi Pratham, and welcome! I don't race my pregen, but there are/were a few guys here who do. I see you're browsing the racing section of this board now.
Thank you for the welcome! Yes I am browsing the racing section of this forum! It’s a special bike to me, I want to hopefully try and make it something unique on a budget!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 21st, 2024, 10:46 AM   #9
Pregen_Prat
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogges View Post
What a beautiful bike. I am all for bikes should be ridden as intended but I’d hate to see these what I assume to be irreplaceable plastics be damaged.
That is very true, the plastic fairings are no where to be found new online for a reasonable price. I think airtech make race fairings for it, but they are unpainted and not cut. Still would cost almost as much as I paid for the bike to replace the fairings.

Old February 21st, 2024, 10:46 AM   #10
Pregen_Prat
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Welcome to the board!
Thank you!

Old February 21st, 2024, 10:49 AM   #11
Pregen_Prat
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Yes, the 17 inch conversion is well worth it for tire selection alone. As for emulators, less important than correct weight springs.

A 400 would be a better choice if you are interested in racing and/or if you are primarily going to track on larger tracks. A sv650 is maybe the best of both worlds for a track day bike but it is no longer the competetive bike to go racing in LWT classes.

All that being said, I have several race bikes and still keep my 250 on the track. Why? Because I love that little bike. And if you love yours - keep it and ride it on the track no matter what anyone says.
I appreciate the insight a lot. I recently helped one of my friends purchase a 400 for his first bike. I have ridden it bit when I rode it home for him and I have to say it is a very peppy and great handling bike. Stock for stock, miles ahead of the 250. I know it would be easier to build that into a track bike, but also a bit more expensive for a college student like me. The 250 is a very special bike to me, and I’m not sure I want to let it go. Thank you for the motivation though, hopefully I can build it into something special!

Old February 21st, 2024, 11:12 AM   #12
Pregen_Prat
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:

By the way, what is the simplest or cost effective way to do the 17 in wheel conversion? I just put a Pirelli Sport Demon on the rear 1800 miles ago. But the front Pirelli MT75 has about 8k Miles on it. Should I just wait for my Sport Demon to wear out and then replace both wheels?

Old February 21st, 2024, 12:28 PM   #13
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ I believe the front and and the rear swing arm bolt up, so that would probably be the simplest but not the cheapest.

Cheapest would probably be modifying the spacers and caliper mounts but if you don't have the tools or comfort level, it may not be possible.

I also believe the EX500 stuff can bolt up and is 17 inch so that may be an option.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2024, 04:47 PM   #14
Pregen_Prat
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
^^ I believe the front and and the rear swing arm bolt up, so that would probably be the simplest but not the cheapest.

Cheapest would probably be modifying the spacers and caliper mounts but if you don't have the tools or comfort level, it may not be possible.

I also believe the EX500 stuff can bolt up and is 17 inch so that may be an option.
Ah I see. So the simplest way would be to swap the swing arm for the rear, and would the front bolt right on to the stock forks or would I have to swap the forks too?

What way would I have to modify the spacers and brackets to fit the wheels for the more cost effective way? Do you mind sending a thread that would have more information too?
I will definitely look into the ex500 wheels too.