ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1
rkildu
ninjette.org member

Name: Rod

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250F, 97 BMW k1100LT, 1982 BMW 100

Gas tank overflow problem

I have a 2007 that I am restoring and trying to get back on the road. I took it out for the first time today and stopped to fill up. I fueled up to the beginning of the filler neck, as recommended in the manual, then noticed that fuel was dumping from the filler overflow tube. To make a long story short I had to pump out gas from the tank until it was about two inches down before the flow would stop. If I pull the filler cap to expose the filler drain and blow air into the drain tube at the back of the tank and block the upper drain I can hear air blowing into the tank. I can only assume that this is not a good thing!

I have the non California model with only one tube at the back of the tank. I fed a scrap piece of electrical wire down the upper drain through the tube until it came out the back. My guess is that the tube has a hole in it!

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Is there a fix short of a replacement tank?

Thanks
Rod
rkildu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #2
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkildu View Post
Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Is there a fix short of a replacement tank?
Quick fix: Cork the overflow tube.

However, I would register the bike with Kawasaki. There are recalls out on the tanks that may include your bike. Nothing like a brand new tank to fix the problem.

Old April 28th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #3
rkildu
ninjette.org member

I have a solution, I hope!

Thanks to BobA for pointing me in this direction. My bike is a low budget restoration, I have a total of $550 in it, including the cost of the bike, right now. A new tank is more than that.

I did search on the older thread and found some ideas. there. What I first did was get a 2' length of Number 8 trimmer gas line and slide it through the old tube. I tried some sealant first at top and bottom but I was unhappy with the results. After some fiddling and false starts I used a tube that I think came from a vacuum gauge, it is equivalent to the Number '8' size line but more rigid. I slid a 1 inch piece of 1/8" id fuel line over the end and forced it into the rear drain tube. I could get about 1/2 an inch in. My intent was to form a seal at the bottom which I think I have. I couldn't get that to work on the top so I then used the sealant at the top only to keep water out of the tank. It should drain through the new tube now.

The 1/8" sized tubing would have been a perfect fit but I couldn't get more than an inch or two to feed through. I had visions of feeding it all the way through and essentially relining the tube, but it just wouldn't go. The Number 8 size fed through, loosely but required some creative sealing.

I haven't refilled the tank yet, the sealant requires 6 hours to set up. I will report back.

Thanks, Rod

Old April 28th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #4
n4mwd

Hopefully that will work like you want. But what I meant to say before is that if the bike is on the recall list, then you can get a FREE brand new tank from Kawasaki. Its definitely something to look into.

Old April 28th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #5
rkildu
ninjette.org member

A new tank would certainly be a good thing!

While I haven't talked to a dealer yet, I did do a web search. The only thing I found was a recall for slightly older models and not for my 2007, that had something to do with the main fairing mounting bolts being too long and punching through the tank side. There was nothing about this drain.

I will contact a dealer and inquire, but I am not terribly optimistic.

Thanks for the suggestion
Rod

Old April 28th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #6
n4mwd

I've heard about the fairing bolts before, but not about the drain. Mine is a 2006 and Kawasaki sent me a letter saying it was recalled. So 2006 is on the list. It won't hurt to register with Kawasaki.

Go here, put in your VIN and see what it says.

Old April 28th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #7
rkildu
ninjette.org member

Out of Warrantee, no surprise there, and no outstanding recalls.

Thanks for the link
Rod

Old April 28th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #8
n4mwd

In that case, I'd be really tempted to just cork it off and be done with it. I don't think it actually vents the tank, but rather the lip around the outside of the filler tube beneath the lid. Its possible that its purpose is to keep water from collecting in that area and is actually a drain for that. If yours has a leak inside the tank, then its a good chance its been leaking water into your tank as well as letting gas out. If you cork it, I'd do both ends with RTV or something.

Old April 29th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #9
rkildu
ninjette.org member

My fuel fill test sorta worked. I still have a slow fuel seep. I hadn't applied sealer to the lower end, thinking the two layers of tubing would seal. Apparently not! So I cleaned things up and removed the original outer layer of 1/8" tubing, forced sealant around the smaller tube and up into the original drain, then applied sealer to the inside of a new piece of 1/8" tube and pushed it all back together to cure. Of course making sure the bottom of the inner tube was still open. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

If that doesn't work I guess I will seal the drain off with a vacuum plug and keep it dry. It lives in a garage. Then I'll start slowly looking for a good tank.

Thanks
Rod

Old April 30th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #10
rkildu
ninjette.org member

Well sealing the bottom of the tube didn't work any better. I got a lawn mower fuel valve and stuck it in the drain hose under the seat. I found that the vacuum plugs weren't fuel proof. At least now I can use the bike.

That should do me until I find a better solution.
Rod

Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:41 PM   #11
rkildu
ninjette.org member

Plugging just the bottom of the tube won't do it. Either by capillary action or venturi effect gas will be sucked UP through the drain and wash out of the fuel cap assembly and over the top of the tank. There may be some heat expansion there too. The path of least resistance is up the tube.

The guys that told me to plug both ends were correct! Now I know why! JB Weld plugs now in place at the top and bottom.

Already did the VIN number check, no recalls apply to mine.

My total cost for this repair attempt was about $10.

Thanks for all of the advice.
Rod

Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM   #12
n4mwd

That sucks. Literally. Did the JB Weld fix it? Might be some way to force it into the tube a little bit for extra sealing. Just be sure to clean it with a non-residual cleaner of some kind. JB weld wont stick good to oil or gas.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:11 AM   #13
rkildu
ninjette.org member

Test rode it today, no leaks now!

I read the directions on the JB Weld, imagine that, and it suggested cleaning with acetone. Then I pushed a fair sized glob into the tube with a small wood scrap.

Rod

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:31 AM   #14
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkildu View Post

I read the directions on the JB Weld

Rod
Good man! Hopefully the repair sticks and you can enjoy your Ninjette for a long time to come. Keep us updated on how the repair works.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #15
rkildu
ninjette.org member

Seems to be working just fine.

Rod