ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old September 27th, 2016, 04:32 PM   #1
Ballardst
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Is this a dumb idea? Magnetic gas cap rain cover

My gas cap is leaking (I assume, since I found a ton of water in my tank), and I street park on a city street.

I don't really want to deal with a full motorcycle cover every time I ride, and that also won't do much if I'm riding in the rain. Instead, I'm thinking about a small tarp about 1 square foot, with magnets around the sides. The magnets hold the tarp down tight over the top of the gas tank, the gas cap is protected from the rain, no more water in my tank.

I was thinking about making a square from this magnetic strip and gluing the tarp to it: https://www.amazon.com/XFasten-Flexi...magnetic+strip
Ballardst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Might just be easier to fix the problem, I'd think.

Old September 27th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Ballardst
ninjette.org member

If you have a suggestion for how to fix it, I'm all ears!

As far as I can tell, I can't buy the gasket to replace it, new OEM gas caps are almost $200 and I haven't seen any aftermarket ones without reviews complaining of water leaking.

Old September 27th, 2016, 05:45 PM   #4
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Cut a new gasket out of a sheet of gasket material?
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballardst View Post
If you have a suggestion for how to fix it, I'm all ears!
Your idea may work.
It may not work well while riding in strong winds.

At least for the pre-gen models, there is a drain tube (inside the tank) from the cup of the cap that connects to a hose that discharge on the road.
Sometimes, that hose gets kinked, the drainage is interrupted and the cup overflows into the fuel.
Sometimes, that internal tube develops a hole and water runs directly into the fuel, before reaching that hose.

Please, see:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show....php?p=1064021

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2016, 05:35 AM   #6
Ballardst
ninjette.org member

Yeah, my idea may not work for actual riding.

Motofool, that's a great description and photo, thank you. It explains another comment I read in another thread that I didn't understand.

Do the 2008+ models have that system, too?

Old September 28th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #7
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Most bikes have a system like that. There's a drain around the filler hole, so that any water that collects will run out, instead of building up and running into the tank.

My suggestion is also to fix the root problem, rather than coming up with crazy ways to deal with the symptoms. If the cap is otherwise in good condition, making your own gasket might be the best solution. But if water's been going where it doesn't belong, you may have rust issues elsewhere on the cap. Before you rule out the idea of buying a new cap, make sure you really don't need a new cap. You might be able to find a part-out to get a replacement cap (either in full or as a parts donor) cheaper than buying new, though you'll obviously want to be careful about condition of the gasket.

If you do want to rig up some sort of cover, I suggest a full magnetic sheet. Something like http://www.mag-knight.com/Simple%20Sheet.htm, though you might be able to find something comparable cheaper (I love my Mag-Knight tank protector). With a heatgun, you can form it to perfectly match the top of the tank over the cap, and it will be completely sealed anywhere it touches the tank. I think that's a much better solution than trying to add pieces of magnet to a piece of a tarp, in both form and function.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #8
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
tank bag is all you need

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2016, 12:24 AM   #9
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

be careful if you do that, as any fuel with ethanol could damage the paint with the trapped fumes. Ask me how I know ;(
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote